Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Does anyone else go on nights out alone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always been quite a loner and often do stuff alone cos it's easier than relying on other people all the time. I've always gone to concerts alone, but only recently started to pluck up the courage to go to pubs and club nights alone too. Concerts have been fairly easy enough, as everyone is there to just concentrate on watching the live act perform on the stage, and everyone is facing that way so I don't feel as awkward on my own there. And a pub I would just go to for a while to sit and relax with a drink and newspaper after shopping or whilst waiting for an event to start.

Whereas clubs can be a bit more awkward, especially when the place isn't very full yet and people are all over the place and I don't feel confident enough to start dancing alone, so I just end up standing in a corner drinking until something happens. And the couple of times I've last done this, I have luckily managed to meet people who come up to me and hang out with me for the rest of the night. Even if I don't manage to see them again after, I guess it's better than nothing, better than spending another night in on my computer and wasting away my youth, ha.

Whenever people I meet ask me why I'm out alone, I reply "I'm new in town", "people in my halls are boring" and "my boyfriend doesn't like clubbing", all of which are actually pretty true to some extent. And I guess many people think it's a weird thing to do, haha. So I'm just curious to ask on TSR of many other people do this, or if it's just me, lol.

P.S. I realise it's not the safest thing to do as a woman, but the city I live in is relatively safe with plenty of cabs always going about, and I'm quite street smart and know not to walk down dodgy areas, and I carry farb gel spray on me just in case (would carry pepper spray though if it were legal here).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I've always been quite a loner and often do stuff alone cos it's easier than relying on other people all the time. I've always gone to concerts alone, but only recently started to pluck up the courage to go to pubs and club nights alone too. Concerts have been fairly easy enough, as everyone is there to just concentrate on watching the live act perform on the stage, and everyone is facing that way so I don't feel as awkward on my own there. And a pub I would just go to for a while to sit and relax with a drink and newspaper after shopping or whilst waiting for an event to start.

Whereas clubs can be a bit more awkward, especially when the place isn't very full yet and people are all over the place and I don't feel confident enough to start dancing alone, so I just end up standing in a corner drinking until something happens. And the couple of times I've last done this, I have luckily managed to meet people who come up to me and hang out with me for the rest of the night. Even if I don't manage to see them again after, I guess it's better than nothing, better than spending another night in on my computer and wasting away my youth, ha.

Whenever people I meet ask me why I'm out alone, I reply "I'm new in town", "people in my halls are boring" and "my boyfriend doesn't like clubbing", all of which are actually pretty true to some extent. And I guess many people think it's a weird thing to do, haha. So I'm just curious to ask on TSR of many other people do this, or if it's just me, lol.

P.S. I realise it's not the safest thing to do as a woman, but the city I live in is relatively safe with plenty of cabs always going about, and I'm quite street smart and know not to walk down dodgy areas, and I carry farb gel spray on me just in case (would carry pepper spray though if it were legal here).
    If it makes you happy, you carry on 🎉

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upagumtree)
    If it makes you happy, you carry on
    In all honesty, I do wish I had a best friend I could count on to always go to those things with me, but I don't, so I guess this will do for now.

ReputationRep:
    Are you happy doing this?

ReputationRep:
    I live in Letchworth Garden City, there's the cinema and that's it, and going there alone is just sad (wish I had Whimsicalsloth to accompany me)

ReputationRep:
    xxx
    I'm at a campus uni and go out alone but I think it's probably slightly different as I'm more likely to run into someone I know or recognise and can talk to.

ReputationRep:
    I do this at least once a week. I've got no mates to go out with as I don't get invited out here and I don't wanna look like a beg asking someone what their plans are. I'd rather go out by myself then stay in but some nights I think I'm a wasteman for even thinking about going out by myself, then I feel down and either stay in or go out, realise I won't have fun cause I'm not at that awesome drunk stage yet, and go home to stop myself wasting a few hours feeling ****ty.

ReputationRep:
    I went clubbing by myself once on a whim and I actually had a great time and a really memorable night. As you don't have friends to fall back on, I find your much more proactive when it comes to meeting people and enjoying yourself.

On the one occasion I did it I ended up talking with like everyone in the club and everyone was really welcoming and friendly when I told them of my situation.

Also, recently I was pretty much forced to wait in a club from like 10.30 - 12 on my own as my friends who told me to meet at this time where running extremely late. I ended up meeting this great group of people who I actually spent the whole night with, even when my friend came. I got all their numbers and were doing something as group in a few weeks.

If you have the confidence and charm (or you can just be a girl) to override the instantaneous judgments people make you can have a great night out by yourself, often i've found my friends kind of hold me back as I have to look after them etc. If you want to pull also it's great for that kind of thing.

I'd probably do it more often if there wasn't such a stigma attached, once your on the dance floor all the worries you had just disappear. The only time you feel slightly ****ty is when your leaving the club by yourself.

Not too sure about the bars or pubs, I did once go in a pub on a Friday night for a few drinks and it was really busy with everyone talking amongst their group. Kinda harder to mingle with people when it's like that.

ReputationRep:
    I think its easier for a girl to do that, if I did that people would get the wrong idea of me thinking I'm a creep.

I see people in the pub on their own all the time, I personally would feel too awkward doing that and would rather do it at home. I've been to cinema by myself plenty of times if there is a film I want to see but nobody else wants to see, I've sat in Mcdonalds on my own before I sit on the stalls near the windows usually.

One of my friends travels across the world on her own, I think that is scary because something could easily happen to you and very lonely if you can't talk to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a couple of nights where my mates bailed at the very last minute and i thought f*** it just go anyway.

It sounds like social suicide but if you have fun then quite frankly it's no one's business and says more about them if they judge you for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Are you happy doing this?
    Half yes, half no. I used to hardly go out in my teens, just because I had no one to go with, and always felt really rubbish from missing out. Even now I'm 23 and regret not making more effort to make the most of my young years. Now that I'm doing it alone, it's probably not as great as it would be if I went with people I knew, but it can still be decent depending on how much of a good time I manage to have alone and whether I manage to meet new people there to hang out with or not.

(Original post by Rugbyplayer)
    I do this at least once a week. I've got no mates to go out with as I don't get invited out here and I don't wanna look like a beg asking someone what their plans are. I'd rather go out by myself then stay in but some nights I think I'm a wasteman for even thinking about going out by myself, then I feel down and either stay in or go out, realise I won't have fun cause I'm not at that awesome drunk stage yet, and go home to stop myself wasting a few hours feeling ****ty.
    Exactly how I feel! Glad at least I'm not the only one. Do you often have fun when you go out alone?

(Original post by LonelyDemon)
    I think its easier for a girl to do that, if I did that people would get the wrong idea of me thinking I'm a creep.

I see people in the pub on their own all the time, I personally would feel too awkward doing that and would rather do it at home. I've been to cinema by myself plenty of times if there is a film I want to see but nobody else wants to see, I've sat in Mcdonalds on my own before I sit on the stalls near the windows usually.

One of my friends travels across the world on her own, I think that is scary because something could easily happen to you and very lonely if you can't talk to anyone.
    I've been to the cinema alone too - you're in there to watch a film and can't talk during it anyway, so tbh I'd think it'd make more sense just to do that alone than as a social activity :yep:. I've eaten in McDonald's and plenty of other restaurants alone too - I'm in there just to eat, so no big deal if I'm not with anyone.

I've also gone travelling alone and loved it . It really helped to bring me out my shell and gain a bit more confidence to do more things alone. Also, you're not necessarily lonely - hostels in Australia are probably the easiest place to instantly meet new people to chat with and hang out with . I'm kinda sad the rest of the world isn't like that though, especially the UK :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I've been to the cinema alone too - you're in there to watch a film and can't talk during it anyway, so tbh I'd think it'd make more sense just to do that alone than as a social activity :yep:. I've eaten in McDonald's and plenty of other restaurants alone too - I'm in there just to eat, so no big deal if I'm not with anyone.

I've also gone travelling alone and loved it . It really helped to bring me out my shell and gain a bit more confidence to do more things alone. Also, you're not necessarily lonely - hostels in Australia are probably the easiest place to instantly meet new people to chat with and hang out with . I'm kinda sad the rest of the world isn't like that though, especially the UK :sigh:

really? I assumed its mainly homeless that use hostels, not comfortable sleeping in a room with a group of people I don't know, they could easily gang up and mug me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelyDemon)
    really? I assumed its mainly homeless that use hostels, not comfortable sleeping in a room with a group of people I don't know, they could easily gang up and mug me.
    The type of hostels I'm talking about are 'backpacker hostels' - specifically catered to mainly young people who are on cheap backpacking and working holidays. I find them pretty safe myself, as everyone tends to trust each other, especially as you're all in the same situation. Most hostels will have lockers in the dorm rooms to lock your valuables in, and no one is really bothered to steal your used clothes and backpack/suitcase. Understandably, they're not for everyone though, but I personally loved them as a lone traveller

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of cool actually, I really wish I had the courage to be like you! It's got to be inspiring to meet new people and talk to them and see how they have fun, be it just for a night. I'm 18 and I've never gone clubbing actually, haha... I've got some friends, but all my relationships have the "it's complicated" status and I'm also kind of self-conscious about my looks and about myself so I haven't even been dragged by anyone to any fun places yet, although I might have been able to. Go alone? No way, although it seems like an amazing opportunity to me, you could have fun or maybe meet someone nice and develop a friendship

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I would perhaps say - and I know you've mentioned it - is you're safety, if you're happy to be out on your own in clubs and bars and stuff then yeah go for it but if it ever turns sour when you're out alone you have nobody to come and help out and you'll be on your own in those situations, that's the only issue I would say I have. If I knew you I'd totally come out with you just to make you're safe!

ReputationRep:

Yeah I go clubbing alone about half the time. I've found it makes you more approachable when you're alone, so people often start up conversations or invite me into their group for the night.

tbh I rarely go clubbing at all these days as I have a somewhat esoteric taste in music and most clubs don't play the music i like.

ReputationRep:
    I go out on my own quite a lot, not clubbing (not my thing), usually for a pint or something to eat, sometimes football matches (usually end up meeting people I know there though). I really enjoy going out for a pint in a nice pub. Nothing wrong with it imo. I'd go on holiday on my own as well.

#BillyNoMates

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine anything more awkward than being in a pub alone. F that. The only reason I'd go is to be with people I know.

ReputationRep:
    If nobody else wants to go out then i quite enjoy going out alone, especially in London, where you can meet so many people, i think cigarettes are very useful as the smoking area is where you can strike up conversations really easily, ive had some great nights out alone, last time i met an American who was on holiday and we got talking and went on to a couple more clubs together, it was fun.

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine going to a concert alone because sometimes friends don't listen and like the same music but not other nights out

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.