what subjects (gcse options) are good for your CV / what do universities look for?

Watch
KKS7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i'm in year 9, we only have a few days until we submit our final extra gcse option decisions. So far the subjects we have to do are: maths, science (double or tripple) english, R.E, a subject ( i took french ) and either humanities or geography.

i want to do something medical in the future, but i dont know whether to take ART/MUSIC as my extra options or replace ART with CLASSICAL CIVILIZATION. i heard it universities liked that subject but isn't art good too? and why? and shall i take geography? or history? - a subject which is more essay based?
EmmaZombie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Honestly, at this stage you're better off doing what you like. Unis only really look at English, Maths and Science. GCSEs help you specify more in college but even then it can be flexible. Since you want to do medicine, as long as you do well in Science & Maths, and further those at college, you'll be fine. Take what you think will be more interesting to you.
username1445684
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay you have a lot of questions here.
To answer the thread's title, universities aren't extremely bothered as to what you have GCSEs in, as long as you have basic English and maths, and good grades in everything.

Your choice between art, music and classical civilization, will have an extremely minute outcome on your university, so choose what you enjoy! It's your Alevel choices that will seriously affect your university life, not GCSE.

Also history is much more essay based than geography, but take whatever you enjoy most and don't feel pressured to take something just because people say it's what universities like. Good luck
pursuedbyabear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Seriously, it shouldn't matter now - as long as you get good medicine-standard grades, I would say universities won't be too bothered about subjects (other than English, maths, obviously the sciences for medicine). Of course, GCSEs are more important for medicine than other university courses.

In terms of geography or history, both are very well thought of subjects, so just pick the one you enjoy. I think one of the history courses features the history of medicine? I don't know.

For your other options, if you do want to take the totally academic route Classical Civilisation would be better (wish I'd had that option), but I wouldn't do it just simply to be academic. Art will require a lot of work after school, but that should be fun if you really enjoy it. Just keep in mind that your career decisions could change at this point.
Maya2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi! I take History and Geography, and although I enjoy both, I find that the history course I take is quite beneficial- we are currently studying Medicine Through Time, and it's really interesting for someone, like me, who wants to go into medicine as we focus on vaccinations, important discoveries and even the NHS. It's also essay based, which can help you in English (a subject uni's look at).
Geography is quite good, but theres quite alot of course work which gets repetitive and boring.
I also take music, which I adore, yet I'd make sure you are able to plan an instrument/ sing to a grade 4 or 5 standard, as performing is a big part. I find listening a drag, but lots of revision will get you a good mark- I've been getting an A* in listening without much revision! Music can also show universities that you have a pass-time that can help you relieve and cope with the stress (or so I've been told).

Taking triple science is a good idea too, especially in bio and chem, it will cover alot of things you will begin to look at at A-level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads