The Student Room Group

How attainable is an A at Maths A Level?

How much did you have to work to get an A/A* in Maths at A Level?

UPDATE: I ended up choosing Chemistry, Biology, Physics and German. Thank you so much for everyone's input, support and encouragement - but I still decided to play it safe as all the maths teachers said Maths A Level is incredibly hard and they would just tease when if I would have gone against their current and chosen it for sixth form. Plus, I scored higher among peers in mathematical questions in Physics (even those that are in higher maths sets) than the actual maths exam :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you got atleast a grade A at GCSE maths, then it's safe to say that you are able at a-level maths. Not to say though, that you will get a grade A for a-level maths just because you did at GCSE, no. Getting an A at a-level maths requires 10x the effort you put into GCSE maths. That includes reviewing what you learn each lesson and doing practice questions based on what you did in that lesson. You MUST be able to clock the lower grade questions (E,D,C grade questions) in a-level maths. Once you clock these, you just have to focus on the grade B, A and A* stuff. And that's when you do past exam papers and focus on those particular questions. On average, most grade A/A* candidates for a-level maths did atleast 3 hours of maths a day (of course, with breaks).
Maths is like my thing so I personally didn't find it that hard. If you could fly through GCSE maths and come out with high 90% in the end, A level maths should be a doddle! However, most people are good at either mechanics or statistics, so make sure you find the right one for you.
Reply 3
Original post by theTeddyBearx
If you got atleast a grade A at GCSE maths, then it's safe to say that you are able at a-level maths. Not to say though, that you will get a grade A for a-level maths just because you did at GCSE, no. Getting an A at a-level maths requires 10x the effort you put into GCSE maths. That includes reviewing what you learn each lesson and doing practice questions based on what you did in that lesson. You MUST be able to clock the lower grade questions (E,D,C grade questions) in a-level maths. Once you clock these, you just have to focus on the grade B, A and A* stuff. And that's when you do past exam papers and focus on those particular questions. On average, most grade A/A* candidates for a-level maths did atleast 3 hours of maths a day (of course, with breaks).

Thanks. So I guess I'm going to have to triple my efforts in order to get into that higher band!
Original post by remediae
Thanks. So I guess I'm going to have to triple my efforts in order to get into that higher band!

Yup, just work hard and to your best ability and you'll come to find out on results day that your tremendous efforts have paid off. Go go go. Start from NOW. Master those high grade questions!

On results day make sure you message me letting me know that you have gotten atleast an A in Maths. Good luck!
You have to work a lot for it, but it's attainable. I got A*.
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
You have to work a lot for it, but it's attainable. I got A*.

Eeeek...congratulations! You must have deserved it and I can imagine how happy you must be :smile:

I'm so scared to enter A Level Maths in the fear that I won't even get an A, since people keep on scaring me that even those with high maths skills struggle! Shame there isn't a 'secret key tip' to succeeding math....
Don't be scared :smile: it's not too bad once you get into it.

One 'secret' key tip is to just practice, practice, practice.
At the end of the day it's down to your natural ability in Maths, which I believe A Level maths helps you discover.

I got an A at GCSE, granted it's a good grade, but I had people telling me I'd struggle to even pass A Level maths?

I ended up with 95% UMS at AS and just got my C4 mock back, 99%. Not trying to show off but it's down to your natural ability and if you're not a natural, the work you put in.
If you put the right amount of work in an A* for Maths isn't too hard. To get the A is actually quite easy. Retaking AS core units for Maths doesn't put to much pressure on your exams compared to retaking AS units for other subjects due to the fact that A2 Maths continues from AS. Retaking C1, no problem, very simple unit. C3 and C4 branches out from C2 so retaking C2 and doing good should be a walk in the park. I don't think it would even be too hard to improve from an E at AS Maths to an A/B for A level Maths :biggrin:.
Reply 10
Original post by theTeddyBearx
Yup, just work hard and to your best ability and you'll come to find out on results day that your tremendous efforts have paid off. Go go go. Start from NOW. Master those high grade questions!

On results day make sure you message me letting me know that you have gotten atleast an A in Maths. Good luck!

Naaw, your message literally made my day so much better! I was about to give up and go to the Careers Office to switch my choice for Maths to something else after all the maths teachers kept nagging the class on how Maths is too hard and that it's incredibly difficult to get even an A grade.

Long story short, I've decided to switch to a different school for sixth-form and solely concentrate on my preparation for med school.

Thanks again for your advice, I definitely will not forget you! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Raymat
If you put the right amount of work in an A* for Maths isn't too hard. To get the A is actually quite easy. Retaking AS core units for Maths doesn't put to much pressure on your exams compared to retaking AS units for other subjects due to the fact that A2 Maths continues from AS. Retaking C1, no problem, very simple unit. C3 and C4 branches out from C2 so retaking C2 and doing good should be a walk in the park. I don't think it would even be too hard to improve from an E at AS Maths to an A/B for A level Maths :biggrin:.

Woaaah, I can't believe I just heard Maths being synonymous with not being too hard! What I'm most scared about is the jump between GCSE and A Level...that I'll just come in the classroom and be like 'Yep, rumours were right, I'm screwed'

Thanks for the advice!
Naaw, your message literally made my day so much better! I was about to give up and go to the Careers Office to switch my choice for Maths to something else after all the maths teachers kept nagging the class on how Maths is too hard and that it's incredibly difficult to get even an A grade.

Long story short, I've decided to switch to a different school for sixth-form and solely concentrate on my preparation for med school.

Thanks again for your advice, I definitely will not forget you! :smile:

Any time! Forget what anyone says, atleast you know what you're capable of. PROVE THOSE WHO DOUBT YOU WRONG. Please work very hard and don't give up! That grade A is your only motivation now. :smile:
Woaaah, I can't believe I just heard Maths being synonymous with not being too hard! What I'm most scared about is the jump between GCSE and A Level...that I'll just come in the classroom and be like 'Yep, rumours were right, I'm screwed'

Thanks for the advice!

I got A* for Maths at A level but only A at GCSE Maths.
Reply 14
Original post by SeanFM
Don't be scared :smile: it's not too bad once you get into it.

One 'secret' key tip is to just practice, practice, practice.

Yikes, I feel like I'm on math therapy in this chatroom! I feel slightly more relieved now after all these replies...

But the worst part is that maths isn't my fluent language. I feel like I'm trying to learn to speak Chinese when we start new chapters, and that when I enter A Level it would be like trying to learn alien coding.

Thanks for your comment!
Eeeek...congratulations! You must have deserved it and I can imagine how happy you must be :smile:

I'm so scared to enter A Level Maths in the fear that I won't even get an A, since people keep on scaring me that even those with high maths skills struggle! Shame there isn't a 'secret key tip' to succeeding math....

Yeah I was happy at the time.
I found out since that it turns out A-level maths isn't very useful when applying for a maths and physics degree.

The secret is just practice.
It's honestly one of the easiest subjects to get high marks in. Not because it's an easy subject or because there is little content to learn, but because as long as you revise a lot and do lots of hard work then you are pretty much guaranteed to get a high mark. I find essay subjects, such as history, much harder to get high marks in because they are not as straightforward and the marking is more subjective rather than objective. You could know all of the historical facts yet still get a low grade due to bad essay writing or structure.
Bit of a stupid question. Just work hard and see what grade you get.......as long as you know you have done as much as you think is reasonable.

ofc it is attainable, people get the grades don't they?
Reply 18
Original post by Raymat
I got A* for Maths at A level but only A at GCSE Maths.

WOW! I hope some of your genius-ness passes onto me through the light rays of the computer screen!

I'm predicted an A but I just feel that I would be treading dangerous grounds if I choose to do it at A level. :eek:
I think that's the beauty of Maths though. You probably will think 'Yep, I'm screwed' for the first 2 or 3 weeks but once you get into it it really isn't that hard.

Quick Reply

Latest