Turn on thread page Beta

Social point of chip and pin bank cards REP REWARD watch

ReputationRep:
    I need a little help. Am doing an essay on chip and pin bank cards and have got excellent points for legal and ethical but cant think of one for social implications (what affect it will have on society) i need ideas asap and rep will got to the one i think is best, plz? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    whats chip and pin bank card?

ReputationRep:
    It'll mean you can't use your bank card when your drunk, as what are the chances of remembering the pin code then?

ReputationRep:
    ASAP? you dont seem that urgent..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    It'll mean you can't use your bank card when your drunk, as what are the chances of remembering the pin code then?
    lol good answer but there's no difference between that and the old bank cards is there???? Im looking for a point that will affect society somehow, i've worked my ass off on this paper and i dont wanna screw it up with not finding a social implication!

Ps. chip and pin is the new bank cards with the chip tghat means you gotta sign and enter a pin no in a shop when you wanna purchase something so counterfeit fraud will stop!!!(if it works that is!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Barman)
    lol good answer but there's no difference between that and the old bank cards is there???? Im looking for a point that will affect society somehow, i've worked my ass off on this paper and i dont wanna screw it up with not finding a social implication!

Ps. chip and pin is the new bank cards with the chip tghat means you gotta sign and enter a pin no in a shop when you wanna purchase something so counterfeit fraud will stop!!!(if it works that is!)
    To be honest, i'm not really sure how the old bank cards worked, so i wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:

social implications are that the type of crime will probably change. Instead of credit card fraud in shops, criminals are more likely to use the internet with the stolen card- as the pin number will not be needed here.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, i'm not really sure how the old bank cards worked, so i wouldn't know.
    you put the card into the machine.....enter a pin and take the money....

ReputationRep:
    Well, indirectly, it has sort of raised awareness of credit card fraud and security. Although I am not sure the current campaign is sufficiently high profile enough to have achieved that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    social implications are that the type of crime will probably change. Instead of credit card fraud in shops, criminals are more likely to use the internet with the stolen card- as the pin number will not be needed here.
    brilliant answer but i used that for legal implication and i used shoulder surfing (looking over one's shopulder for there pin while in the shop) for ethical implication.......am SO stuck!!!

ReputationRep:
    it will also make it easier for different types of people to use credit/debit cards in shops. For example, elderly people who find it hard to construct their signiture, disabled people or people with certain illnesses or broken limbs. It will give them greater freedom and independece as they will be able to buy things for themselves on their card, wheras before if they couldn't sign their signiture they would not have been able to do this.

ReputationRep:
    you put the card into the machine.....enter a pin and take the money....
    Well i don't think chip and pin really has social implications in that way then.
    I was more on about purchasing with it, because if you were drunk, before you wouldn't have to enter a pin when purchasing (almost certainly more alcohol), because i don't think that's how they worked in shops and stuff, and with chip and pin now you would have to.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I keep thinking of how angry customers are going to get because the procedure will certainly take a bit longer per customer - passing over the machine and what have you. Get enough impatient customers in Boots as it is!

Have you heard abotu a new "speaking" bank card as well? I heard a report about it on Radio 4 - it is to combat telephone and internet crime as well (you have to say the password into the card and it transmits a signal over the phone/microphone and is verified at the other end).

ReputationRep:
    it could mean people are less reluctant to use cards, and could spell the end of paper and metal money.

ReputationRep:
    Well i don't think chip and pin really has social implications in that way then.
    I was more on about purchasing with it, because if you were drunk, before you wouldn't have to enter a pin when purchasing (almost certainly more alcohol), because i don't think that's how they worked in shops and stuff, and with chip and pin now you would have to.
    How many people are drunk before, say, 5.30pm and need to but things? I don't think you're allowed to sell alcohol to people who are already drunk, and drunks would must certainly not be wanted in a badly protected one-stop or spar shop! I don't think it has any drunken implications!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    How many people are drunk before, say, 5.30pm and need to but things? I don't think you're allowed to sell alcohol to people who are already drunk, and drunks would must certainly not be wanted in a badly protected one-stop or spar shop! I don't think it has any drunken implications!
    Lots.
    You sure? I've seen it happen plenty of times.
    Of course it has drunken implications! Everything has drunken implications!
    And its a good way of finishing off an essay.
    "For these drunken issues, i will have to, of course, test vigerously the validity of the worries about drunks remembering pin codes"

• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    it will also make it easier for different types of people to use credit/debit cards in shops. For example, elderly people who find it hard to construct their signiture, disabled people or people with certain illnesses or broken limbs. It will give them greater freedom and independece as they will be able to buy things for themselves on their card, wheras before if they couldn't sign their signiture they would not have been able to do this.
    Actually there is a big worry that chip and pin will exclude disabled people even more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3694593.stm

Accessibility requirements were simply not considered early on in the design stages.

ReputationRep:
    It signifies an increased level of mistrust by retailers. Less belief in the honesty of the customer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Actually there is a big worry that chip and pin will exclude disabled people even more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3694593.stm

Accessibility requirements were simply not considered early on in the design stages.
    that's very true- it would be awful for blind people to use i would imagine...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by shiny)
    It signifies an increased level of mistrust by retailers. Less belief in the honesty of the customer.
    And the reliability of their staff

How many times has someone properly checked your signature when buying things by card...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.