The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ruthiepoothie
that's very true- it would be awful for blind people to use i would imagine...

Surely they can put braille onto the buttons?
blissy

that's a good idea......:rolleyes: i wonder why they didn't think of doing that:confused:
ruthiepoothie

Not to mention people with arthritis who with signature cards could simply carry their own ergonomic pen.

And of course someone typing in their pin from sat in a wheelchair is going to be very easy to watch what their number is...and pretty easy to swipe their card at a later date.

It's hard enough getting retailers to provide something to lean on while signing a credit card slip when you can't get to the counter...I wouldn't be surprised to find that retailers wont provide long enough cords for pins to be entered from a distance (long cables are probably a health and safety hazard).
Reply 23
piginapoke
At my local pub I often sign myself as Mickey Mouse or batman when paying by card...

lol that's damned funny :biggrin:

ruthiepoothie

but blind people wouldn't have used the old bank card anyway, so havign chip and pin won't make that much of a difference to them!
Reply 24
The_Barman
I need a little help. Am doing an essay on chip and pin bank cards and have got excellent points for legal and ethical but cant think of one for social implications (what affect it will have on society) i need ideas asap and rep will got to the one i think is best, plz? Thanks

The chip could be misused and contain more information about yourself than you would like to be known, without your agreement or knowledge.
Reply 25
4Ed

but blind people wouldn't have used the old bank card anyway, so havign chip and pin won't make that much of a difference to them!

Well I certainly served blind people who used a card!

That reminds me, I was reading a letter to my mum from David Blunkett (when he was the Education blokey) and I said "Oh my, his handwriting is AWFUL!"
blissy

They're promising to put a raised bump on the 5 key...however that doesn't take into account that each machine will have a slightly different design.

Visually impaied paople in the most part don't use brail - they use large type and magnifiers. To adapt for them it's simply a case of using high contrast colours...a very simple adaption that hasn't been done.
Reply 27
blissy

The do in a way.

Have you never notived the raised bump on the number 5 button of phones, keypads etc.?
Reply 28
actually, i saw this chip&pin service in Singapore when i was there last summer. they just have a keypad attached by a cable, which the customer can move somewhere where it is less likely to be seen, and they enter it themselves. i don't think cord length will be that big an issue...

it works really well, and personally i think it's a better alternative to the old signature cards.
Reply 29
Fluffy
The do in a way.

Have you never notived the raised bump on the number 5 button of phones, keypads etc.?

Yes, but I just saw a picture of a chip-and-pin machine and I couldn't even see those.
4Ed
actually, i saw this chip&pin service in Singapore when i was there last summer. they just have a keypad attached by a cable, which the customer can move somewhere where it is less likely to be seen, and they enter it themselves. i don't think cord length will be that big an issue...

it works really well, and personally i think it's a better alternative to the old signature cards.

Im still doubtful about the cord length issue when it comes to supermarkets in particular.
Reply 31
Fewer tress being cut down for all those extra till rolls!
Reply 32
blissy
Well I certainly served blind people who used a card!

That reminds me, I was reading a letter to my mum from David Blunkett (when he was the Education blokey) and I said "Oh my, his handwriting is AWFUL!"

lol i only realised he was blind when i was about 16! :redface:

but that's ok for people who became blind - as they could have practised their handwriting from before. those born completely blind from birth wouldn't have that same opportunity...
Reply 33
blissy
Fewer tress being cut down for all those extra till rolls!

I's still want a receipt! Chip and pin or no chip and pin!!!
Reply 34
blissy
Yes, but I just saw a picture of a chip-and-pin machine and I couldn't even see those.

lol blissy dear, i thought you'd gone to specsavers? :biggrin:
Reply 35
Where's Barman? I hope he is taking down these ideas.
Reply 36
Pencil Queen
Im still doubtful about the cord length issue when it comes to supermarkets in particular.

And also places where people sit in booths - e.g. theme parks, late night petrol stations. It would also mean there would have to be a very long cord to go into the car.
Reply 37
Fluffy
I's still want a receipt! Chip and pin or no chip and pin!!!

But the bit you sign on won't have to be used. You'll still get a receipt - keep your hair on! :wink:

I'm picking my glasses up tomorrow.
I've just been looking at the chip and pin website

You are likely to come into contact with a variety of PIN terminals in different types of shops. Some will have a separate PIN pad that is attached to the till via a wire. Some may combine the card reader with the PIN pad in one unit. Others may have the PIN pad built into the shop counter. The terminals used in restaurants may be wireless so that you can pay whilst sitting at the table without letting your card go out of sight.

There's a wasted opportunity if ever I saw one....
Reply 39
blissy
But the bit you sign on won't have to be used. You'll still get a receipt - keep your hair on! :wink:

I'm picking my glasses up tomorrow.

Ohh! It will save all of 5 cm of paper :wink:

I don't think chip and pin will last too long, not with other technologies such as The Pay By Touch system on the horizon....

Latest

Trending

Trending