What are the people at exeter university like?

Watch
jamm :)
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ive got an offer for medicine, but im just having doubs about the uni, as lots of people and websites seem to be saying that its full of posh white people. Im not white btw, and i just want an honest answer about what its like at that uni as im just having second thoughts about it
tingirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jamm :))
Ive got an offer for medicine, but im just having doubs about the uni, as lots of people and websites seem to be saying that its full of posh white people. Im not white btw, and i just want an honest answer about what its like at that uni as im just having second thoughts about it
I have an offer for medicine there too! I am definitely not posh (just white haha) but I was having the same kinda worries tbh - I thinkthe academic side of Exeter looks good but I'm not 100% sure about the social side. I really want to hear what others think too

Anyway it's my only offer at the mo so it looks like I'll probably end up there haha (not that I'm complaining!), do you have any other offers?
mackemforever
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tingirl)
I have an offer for medicine there too! I am definitely not posh (just white haha) but I was having the same kinda worries tbh - I thinkthe academic side of Exeter looks good but I'm not 100% sure about the social side. I really want to hear what others think too

Anyway it's my only offer at the mo so it looks like I'll probably end up there haha (not that I'm complaining!), do you have any other offers?
Exeter has a weird reputation for being posh, but that is completely false.

It's just like any University, there's students from every walk of life, from people who were raised in council flats to country mansions, from the worst parts of Birmingham to the wealthiest parts of London.

My flat in first year for example had me, fairly middle class, a lass from Finland, a lass from somewhere over in Africa (can't remember where), a guy from Cardiff who was from a very poor home, somebody from Manchester whose dad was a millionaire, and another couple who were sort of lower middle class.

The "only white people go there" thing is crap too. Once again it's like any other University in that there are people from all backgrounds and from all around the world.

It's just a very odd reputation that it's picked up which is entirely false so don't worry about it, if you like the University then accept the offer and you'll be more than happy here.
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm on medical sciences (didn't get into medicine...) and half of my current year isn't white. We're not all posh either, we come from all sorts of places in the UK.

We even joke constantly about the small number of "posh" people on the "Only at Exeter" Facebook group. Believe me, we're not all like that.
JammyGit07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not posh, just rich.

Posh is more Durham's area.
mackemforever
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JammyGit07)
Not posh, just rich.

Posh is more Durham's area.
Bull****.

Exeter is no different to any other decent University in that there are people from all backgrounds.

I studied at Lancaster before coming here and I knew more people at Lancaster who were extremely comfortable financially, who had their parents contributing large sums of money to their lifestyle, and who never had to worry about money, than I know at Exeter. I also know more people at Exeter who have no help from their parents and have to hold down a job while at University than I did at Lancaster.

Like any decent University there are rich people, poor people, posh people and working class people, and all of these generalisations are complete and utter horse****.
coolheadjody
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,
I applied for medical sciences went to offer holder day yesterday. While I may say it's predominantly White I got talking to one (black) student who had been there for 2 years and had nothing but praises (I mean their chancellor is black FFS)
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coolheadjody)
Hey,
I applied for medical sciences went to offer holder day yesterday. While I may say it's predominantly White I got talking to one (black) student who had been there for 2 years and had nothing but praises (I mean their chancellor is black FFS)
I'm in my second year, and being white probably just puts me in the majority for my year. We have like 50 people in our year on Medical Sciences, and probably 20 of them aren't white.

Oh, and men are in the minority.
punkbreath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is exeter friendly?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
White and upper middle class.

Alternately, international - there are quite a lot of international students from a huge range of countries. There are relatively few British PoC there, or at least there weren't in the engineering department during my stint at the university.

Also provided you steer clear of the rugby societies/teams I can't imagine it really being an issue, and I've never seen or heard any overt racism or bigotry on campus, excepting the implicit bigotry of the UKIP stand some students ran put up in the run up to the Brexit vote.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by punkbreath)
Is exeter friendly?
The students? Sure, as much as anywhere else. The townspeople? Not really. They're either staunchly middle class people, or staunchly working class - either way they're not generally huge fans of the university, although I've only heard of a few incidents of town vs gown. It's usually pretty obvious which pubs/bars are "no-go's" for students (also the King Billy, blight upon the city and possibly worst offender, is apparently going to be knocked down to make way for student flats, ironically - so there will be one less anyway ).
BonsaiClouds
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Exeter is - in the nicest possible way, I went there after all - an Oxbridge reject uni for most people. It's probably a bit more white, posh and middle class than most universities, but I wouldn't let that put you off. There are still people from all walks of life there, and on the whole I found it to be a really great experience, and didn't notice much unfriendliness or segregation or anything like that. It's also offset by the very large number of international students who study at Exeter.
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh i forgot to mention...98% of people have a horse at Exeter
rahrahexetah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, Exeter *is* whiter than most universities, but that's mostly due to it being an Oxbridge-reject uni (a nice way, since I go here lmao) and that Oxford and Cambridge are quite... well, white. Also rich, but again, that's because of the fact that a lot of Oxbridge rejects come down here. There are a lot of international students in the university however (not counting the INTO students who come on transfers or English-learner programmes since they mainly keep to themselves), and they get along very well with the locals. The lack of non-white British students are certainly offset by the international population, and as for 'poshness', not *everyone* is super posh - just avoid Holland Hall and you're set ;-) Everyone at Exeter is lovely, don't worry about not fitting in.
Sinnergee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Generally find it a lovely place with minimal racism. For you city girls/boys out there, it can be pretty boring in the first few months/year here. I got used to the early closing shops quite soon. As an international student, I find UoE a very friendly environment, although I believe this to be more of a contained environment that is not representative of how UK working environments may be. People are also pretty fit and sporty here, which motivates me to keep fit too!
ExeterAnon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yea literally i picture everyone to be like super posh. I'm going to feel so uncivilised but ohhh well hey ho. Im starting in September btw and i cant wait wooo
Check out my blog about my journey surviving in the land of Jack Wills and Hunter wellies. xoxo

https://anonexeter.blogspot.co.uk/
Concepta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How have you found it ?
Gatts
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Name:  1EE6F440-DCAD-42DD-B3BD-C79C540BBD99.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  41.9 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.6%
I'm not sure (52)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.46%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (550)
48.37%

Watched Threads