Re Gym: What protein supplement should I go for?

Watch
krs122
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm 18 and have recently joined the gym. I've been looking around and I want to add a protein shake in addition to what I eat to bulk as I am slim and not the strongest. I've done my research and a Whey protein product seems the best for me. But I can't decide on which product and how do I do so? I've looked at 3, Optimum nutrition gold standard 100% Whey and BSN syntha 6 seem quite highly rated but they're much more expensive than Impact Whey protein from the myprotein website which I've been recommended. Any advice and reccomendations on what decision and how I make one?
Flather
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I use optimum nutrition, tastes good, works well, happy with it
reallydontknow
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The protein works whey.

I used Optimum nutrition gold standard, taste is nasty and doesn't mix well.

TPW have so many more flavours, mix better and also are a lot cheaper.

I've heard good things about my protein aswell, from what I know it's like a sister company of TPW, so just get whichever works out cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Schrödingers Cat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Or..... just get protein in a natural healthy way....

:ahee:
e aí rapaz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by krs122)
I'm 18 and have recently joined the gym. I've been looking around and I want to add a protein shake in addition to what I eat to bulk as I am slim and not the strongest. I've done my research and a Whey protein product seems the best for me. But I can't decide on which product and how do I do so? I've looked at 3, Optimum nutrition gold standard 100% Whey and BSN syntha 6 seem quite highly rated but they're much more expensive than Impact Whey protein from the myprotein website which I've been recommended. Any advice and reccomendations on what decision and how I make one?
Well, what do Optimum nutrition gold standard 100% Whey and BSN syntha 6 have the MyProtein whey protein does not have?
username1186351
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
Or..... just get protein in a natural healthy way....

:ahee:
Because whey protein somehow isn't healthy...

Good luck acquiring 180g of protein consistently on a daily basis without breaking the bank though.
krs122
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Tinglay)

Good luck acquiring 180g of protein consistently on a daily basis without breaking the bank though.
What do you mean isn't healthy and breaking the bank?
Schrödingers Cat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

:rofl:

Sorry my biology teacher must have missed the part out about needing 180g of protein a day :teehee:

Oh and whey protein is just a waste product in the manufacture of cheese which is used to make money off naive bodybuilders.
reallydontknow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by e aí rapaz)
Well, what do Optimum nutrition gold standard 100% Whey and BSN syntha 6 have the MyProtein whey protein does not have?
Not much. It's not worth the hefty premium.

Posted from TSR Mobile
e aí rapaz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by reallydontknow)
Not much. It's not worth the hefty premium.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for explaining my point. :yy:
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
MyProtein or Go nutrition are usually the cheapest places to get some whey. Check out muscle supermarket, it's run by a user on here, their weekly newsletter often links to really good deals
username1186351
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
:rofl:

Sorry my biology teacher must have missed the part out about needing 180g of protein a day :teehee:

Oh and whey protein is just a waste product in the manufacture of cheese which is used to make money off naive bodybuilders.
You must be some pioneer for this weird whey protein conspiracy! Who knew, this supplement that has been documented to work, with athletes of all kinds using it to supplement their diet, are actually being shammed?

OP didn't ask for you to discuss whether or not whey protein is effective (which it is), he just asked for which brand was good.

Also, you are not not morally above, or better than anyone for not using supplements, which the pragmatics of your comments have implied. I like how you think you know everything because you took a biology class. 0.8g of protein per lb of lean body mass has been documented to be optimal for building muscle (which I can provide a source for, unlike your weird whey protein conspiracy **** lmao).
Tom_Ford
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I recommend this:

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10529951.html
Schrödingers Cat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You must be some pioneer for this weird whey protein conspiracy! Who knew, this supplement that has been documented to work, with athletes of all kinds using it to supplement their diet, are actually being shammed?

OP didn't ask for you to discuss whether or not whey protein is effective (which it is), he just asked for which brand was good.

Also, you are not not morally above, or better than anyone for not using supplements, which the pragmatics of your comments have implied. I like how you think you know everything because you took a biology class. 0.8g of protein per lb of lean body mass has been documented to be optimal for building muscle (which I can provide a source for, unlike your weird whey protein conspiracy **** lmao).
:laugh:

Whey conspirisist, I like it :smug:

True, OP didn't ask so this will be my last reply on this thread.

Has been documented to work? Just because athletes gain muscle when they have whey it works?

I dunno about that i have good morals, lmao wasn't just one biology class but what evs. According to you unless you weigh 102kg you don't need 180g of protein a day.

102kg is definitely not a healthy weight imo. Also I have my own source which contradicts what you say tbh... Can't quote cause on mobile but recommended protein intake a day is widely disputed between experts so you can't just claim one golden number.

Thank you for your time :hat2:
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Also, you are not not morally above, or better than anyone for not using supplements, uwhich the pragmatics of your comments have implied. I like how you think you know everything because you took a biology class. 0.8g of protein per lb of lean body mass has been documented to be optimal for building muscle (which I can provide a source for, unlike your weird whey protein conspiracy **** lmao).
He's a troll. You're wasting your time.
peso
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You might find this useful - two years old but still pretty relevant.

Big Reddit Protein Powder Measurement Results - Google doc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads