Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wandering if I am the only person in the whole world who looks at this board and is doing the electronics version of the D&T paper 6 on wednesday, the one with the research on CCTV systems.

Lost Soul

No! I am doing that very paper! I have to do lots of prep work tomorrow what circuits are you going with? I think I will do 2xDC motors and 1xStepper motor. If we use a PIC do we need to show a flowsheet/program for it or can we just describe its function do you know? Did you think last weeks theory was pretty easy?

ReputationRep:
    As long as all of the details are there and you include either a flowchart OR a program in the form of commands ie.
    10 ports= $10010001
    etc

For my final solution on the 3h paper i think i'll be using standard d.c motors with a bit of cunning.

The paper was reasonably straight foward I thought but they were naughty about the stepper motors.

Lost Soul

im taking this exam, outlined a few random brainstorms and analysis' that i can take to the exam. They should apply to the scenario in some way.

i also have a few casing drawings and a piece of paper with drawing techniques on it. (saves time when making casing ideas, if we need to.)

Splt the circuits in different sections. Input process and output. Outputs with reference to the movement of the cctv camera and the different types of signal processing. ie. IR recievers.

basically split my notes into the sections it normally asks like analysis, specification, ideas, final drawings, final circuits, evaluation etc.

Cant think of anything much to do. I reckon all of us taking the exam should turn this thread into a 'memory page'. helping each other with ideas and such.

thats another point, we dont need to know anything about PIC's like commands and stuff. Just learn flowcharts and show it that way. Its more clear to the examiners and easier to do consuming less space and time.

time is of the essence in this exam. I spent 4 hours doing a mock and i thought 3 hours was far too long before i did it. time flys by when you are designing. Try to save fancy drawings till the end. Other than that make sure you cover every aspect and cover everything in detail explaining advantages and disadvantages all the time. If this takes too long do it bullet point form. This can also help for clarity.

im using 2 d.c. motors working on horiz/vert axis that can change direction when triggered by a relay. Very simple and effective design. Want a wireless connection so ive researched infra-red and radio transmitters/receivers.

do you reckon we'll need to know about transmission methods then? spent all day working on motor control! doh!

ReputationRep:
    So how did it go everybody???
    did you enjoy it as much as i didn't?

Lost Soul

what i answered went VERY well. The main problem was time. 3 hours isnt enough for this exam. i didnt even start the evaluation so that 10 marks down.

luckily i prepared for that EXACT question to arise which was very convienient.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.