Dragonfly1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by =gabriel=)
In fact I routinely get single-word replies from him, a full sentence is a success.
I just got a post card from him with 4 words on it!

...2 of them might have been his name
Chaoslord
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey what are the rules for visitors? like if your living at the college can you have guests stay on your dorm?
mfb3000
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You're technically supposed to sign them in with the porters I think, but no one really cares. At least, I've never signed anyone in (granted, the porters wouldn't be terribly impressed if you tried to sign a girl in at 2am when you're both incoherent). So yeah, guests can stay in your room.
Chaoslord
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lewi)
You're technically supposed to sign them in with the porters I think, but no one really cares. At least, I've never signed anyone in (granted, the porters wouldn't be terribly impressed if you tried to sign a girl in at 2am when you're both incoherent). So yeah, guests can stay in your room.
thats great news, thanks =D i was worried i wouldnt be able to see my mates from london if i moved out to cambridge ^_____^
MaryMoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh, that is good :p: I've promised so many of my friends that they can crash on my floor!

Could someone tell me about the Alley Catz? I saw an article about drunken stripping and I'm intrigued ... :rolleyes:
shunter7634
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The one unfortunate thing I find is that Cambridge is a bit rubbish at weekends, so not great for going out with your friends. Unless there's a bop on.

I presume the Alley Catz is one of the girls' drinking societies. Basically an excuse for getting drunk and doing sily things, which, of course, none of us sensible Cambridge students do...

Any further questions about things like that would probably be best directed at Lewi :p:
Chaoslord
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
surely Cambridge students should adopt a work hard play harder ethos =[
MaryMoo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:dito:
mfb3000
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Alleycatz are the girls sporting society, which effectively means that they're a drinking society for girls that play sport to a relatively high level - the reasoning behind this is that drinking societies are officially against the rules, so there had to be another reason behind the society if they want to be recognised. The drunken stripping incident was one of their initiations a few years ago, but (unfortunately) since then they're had to tone down the initiations a bit due to press coverage!
Work hard play harder - this depends on who you are and what you like doing. You can play as hard as you want to, and it's all up to you. For the record, I completely agree with it.
groovy_moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Drinking societies can't be against the rules, there's loads of them! Only the kittens (And apparently the alleycatz) are 'sports' societies. There's still the hellcatz and the thundercatz and *any-other-thing-you-can-think-of-to-put-before-'catz'*... there's at least two per year anyway...

I believe the stripping incident you're referring to happened about 6 years ago though... if it's the stripping and runing across the lawn thing... although there is the football team's naked run of main court every year to look forward to...
mfb3000
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All the drinking societies are unofficial - the kittens and alleycatz are, as far as I know, official societies. I could be wrong though...
shunter7634
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chaoslord)
surely Cambridge students should adopt a work hard play harder ethos =[
I didn't mean to imply that we don't - indeed, most students have a fantastic time, and plenty go out a lot. It just depends on how well you can manage your time for working around your social life and whatever societies you might happen to be involved with (I think I should put a rowing plug in here!).
There are some people who just sit in their rooms all day and work, but they are by far a minority. Most other people can't wait for Wednesday night at Cindies!
Chaoslord
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well it seems i have alot to look forward to next year xD

actually cant wait =] the people i met in the interview all seemed really nice and the atmosphere of catz is excellent (i better get the grades now....)
=gabriel=
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dragonfly1989)
I just got a post card from him with 4 words on it!

...2 of them might have been his name
Haha, what were the other two? 'Hi there'?

He replied to my email today with a single letter - it read 'p'. Beat that!
Lottie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not sure I could realistically have anyone sleeping on my floor given the size of my room and the state of the carpet.
mfb3000
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lottie)
I'm not sure I could realistically have anyone sleeping on my floor given the size of my room and the state of the carpet.
Share the bed then!
Chaoslord
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lottie)
sod gravity for the night, let them sleep on the ceiling
mistrydude
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by groovy_moose)
With regards to the maths offer - that's a fairly harsh decision to have to make - i know how much i wanted/needed my gap year by the end of school, but cambirdge on the whole are not keen on gap years for maths so it's not that surprising, and you probably knew/should have known that when you applied. As i said, difficult decision, but i wouldn't give up cambirdge for maths, i think you'd look back on that and regret it. There's pleenty of time for doing travelling and other things in the holidays, and cambridge is awesome...
I applied for bio natsci
really sucks, my offers through on track, i dnt knw whether id get in next year (different college) or if i want to risk it
Dragonfly1989
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by =gabriel=)
Haha, what were the other two? 'Hi there'?

He replied to my email today with a single letter - it read 'p'. Beat that!
Amazing!

What did you ask?
Which letter is more aesthetically pleasing: p or g?
MaryMoo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was thinking of visiting Catz in a couple of weeks, is alright if I just turned up on the day, or should I contact the college first?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads