The Student Room Group

Why isn't nuclear power considered renewable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
On top of the fact that it's virtually physically impossible to destroy the moon, if we did, the heat produced would probably kill everything on earth and anything that didn't die would be destroyed as the earth's surface melts when the moon fragments fall to the surface.

I love it when people go off on tangents; Flibber asks why nuclear power doesn't count as a renewable resource and now people are discussing reasons to destroy the moon.

Talking about this moon thing, it reminds of the really bad Doctor Who episode last series.
Reply 61
On top of the fact that it's virtually physically impossible to destroy the moon, if we did, the heat produced would probably kill everything on earth and anything that didn't die would be destroyed as the earth's surface melts when the moon fragments fall to the surface.

So it's settled: we will not destroy the moon until it's drifted further away.
Original post by BasicMistake
I love it when people go off on tangents; Flibber asks why nuclear power doesn't count as a renewable resource and now people are discussing reasons to destroy the moon.

Talking about this moon thing, it reminds of the really bad Doctor Who episode last series.

Well the question has already been answered...

Original post by lerjj
So it's settled: we will not destroy the moon until it's drifted further away.

You're very optimistic if you think we'll be around in several billions years time.
Reply 63
Well the question has already been answered...

You're very optimistic if you think we'll be around in several billions years time.

If it's already been answered we should leave it here. Perhaps you can make a separate thread about the pros and cons of moon destroying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Clip
TLDR, why does someone want to blow up the moon?

NOBODY wants to blow up the moon! I said it was a bad idea, then was told it was impossible.

If we're going to get a mining crew up there, it might be possible. I want numbers.
Original post by flibber
If it's already beem answered we should leave it here. Perhaps you can make a separate thread about the pros and cons of moon destroying.

We already had a thread on that. I don't even know why we're debating that.
Reply 66
Wouldn't we end up with rings like Saturn, made up of moon detritus?

Surely all the bits and bobs would go into orbit?
Reply 67
We already had a thread on that. I don't even know why we're debating that.

I didn't know how to quote you in, so here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3124621
Original post by lerjj
I didn't know how to quote you in, so here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3124621

Yeah, it quoted me in. Why did you do this.
Because it uses a resource which is not renewed except over an extremely long period of time

The definition of renewable is not low carbon emission
Original post by lerjj
NOBODY wants to blow up the moon! I said it was a bad idea, then was told it was impossible.

If we're going to get a mining crew up there, it might be possible. I want numbers.

The Creedence Clearwater Revival song 'Bad Moon Rising' will take on a rather apt whole new meaning. Talk about prescience!

But I digress. lol.

[video="youtube_share;4YlTUDnsWMo"]http://youtu.be/4YlTUDnsWMo[/video]
Why is everyone talking about Helium3 when we have thorium?
Reply 72
Yeah, it quoted me in. Why did you do this.

I don't know how to delete threads and I don't think things through very well... also couldn't decide society vs chat, ended up in the former.

Do I need a mod to delete it? Or we can actually discuss the relative merits of using the moon as target practise.

Back to topic: renewable means replaceable within a human lifetime. Hence solar and biofuel = renewable. Coal, oil and gas= unrenewable. Nuclear is an odd case where it's not renewable but we have such large reserves that it probably doesn't matter either way.

Renewable- generally harnessing solar power in some form (e.g. wind)
Non-renewable- using distant rocks for target practise. Once they're gone, they're gone. So we better start shooting now while we still can.
Original post by lerjj
I don't know how to delete threads and I don't think things through very well... also couldn't decide society vs chat, ended up in the former.

Do I need a mod to delete it? Or we can actually discuss the relative merits of using the moon as target practise.

Back to topic: renewable means replaceable within a human lifetime. Hence solar and biofuel = renewable. Coal, oil and gas= unrenewable. Nuclear is an odd case where it's not renewable but we have such large reserves that it probably doesn't matter either way.

Non-renewable- using distant rocks for target practise. Once they're gone, they're gone. So we better start shooting now while we still can.

The technical definition of renewable is "A resource that is naturally replenished within human timescales" so yes, you're basically right. With nuclear energy, it depends on what fuel you're talking about. There are isotopes which certainly could be depleted within human lifetimes.
Reply 74
Original post by uberteknik
The Creedence Clearwater Revival song 'Bad Moon Rising' will take on a rather apt whole new meaning. Talk about prescience!

But I digress. lol.

[video="youtube_share;4YlTUDnsWMo"]http://youtu.be/4YlTUDnsWMo[/video]

Honestly, when I saw you'd quoted me I thought I was going to get told off for either being ludicrous or simply derailing the thread.
Reply 75
Original post by lerjj

Ok.

I'm still unhappy about how my thread was desecrated by some of you lot.. Perhaps we could set up a chat group via PM to debate different issues if you are that interested, although I admit that I'm not very knowledgeable concerning science.
Reply 76
The technical definition of renewable is "A resource that is naturally replenished within human timescales" so yes, you're basically right. With nuclear energy, it depends on what fuel you're talking about. There are isotopes which certainly could be depleted within human lifetimes.

This might be a technicality, but couldn't we use up just about anything within a human lifetime? I don't know what our supply of U235 is for example, but if we really tried I reckon we could use it all up in 80 years.

We'd probably go through a serious economic crisis due to all global governments suddenly spending 100% GDP on nuclear factory building. Without numbers this is just a guess though.
Reply 77
Original post by flibber
Ok.

I'm still unhappy about how my thread was desecrated by some of you lot.. Perhaps we could set up a chat group via PM to debate different issues if you are that interested, although I admit that I'm not very knowledgeable concerning science.

I'm very very sorry.

Do you feel like you know what renewable means now? To be honest, I did AQA physics for GCSE and they classed nuclear as renewable for some crazy reason (fission as well as fusion).

The important thing is not to know the words, but to know that there is a finite but very large reserve of potential fusion materials. There is a finite but still quite large amount of fissile material, but if we relied on it for long enough we'd eventually run out (I don't have numbers. I'd estimate at 150 years and some economic hardship).

This then lets you make a judgement about whether 'renewable' is a useful word in this context. I.e. AQA evidently deemed the above evidence for 'renewable'. Most people better acquainted with English will say that doesn't mean 'renewable', but 'long lasting'. This has now gotten to a linguistics debate and so is no longer important (internet rule #7)
Reply 78
Original post by lerjj
I'm very very sorry.

Do you feel like you know what renewable means now? To be honest, I did AQA physics for GCSE and they classed nuclear as renewable for some crazy reason (fission as well as fusion).

The important thing is not to know the words, but to know that there is a finite but very large reserve of potential fusion materials. There is a finite but still quite large amount of fissile material, but if we relied on it for long enough we'd eventually run out (I don't have numbers. I'd estimate at 150 years and some economic hardship).

This then lets you make a judgement about whether 'renewable' is a useful word in this context. I.e. AQA evidently deemed the above evidence for 'renewable'. Most people better acquainted with English will say that doesn't mean 'renewable', but 'long lasting'. This has now gotten to a linguistics debate and so is no longer important (internet rule #7)

I would like to apologize if I caused any offence in an earlier version of my post before I edited it five seconds later. I was (I still am not) really in a good mood due to the events of today (all times approximate):

7:25 am: I leave my house
7:35 am: I walk to the next bus station (since I can buy Subway which is just outside it if there's enough time) and just as I arrived, I remember that I've forgotten my bus pass ('temporary authority to travel' )
7:45 am: I walk back to collect my pass; I then leave the house again.
7:51 am: I reach the nearest bus stop.
Terrible traffic means that the bus doesn't arrive for around 20 minutes or so. I did my French homework on the bus.
Bus journey takes over an hour, so I missed the whole of my first lesson (happened to be French).
9:20 am: I reach school just in time for my second lesson.
11:50 am; really boring maths lesson since my teacher wasn't in; spent doing a C1 paper.
12:40 pm had to go to the library to see if I could print out something- realised that printers weren't working
12:50 pm French teacher gets annoyed as I can't do catch up at lunch due to Greek and can't attend after school due to Geography
1:00 pm- lunchtime Greek lesson meaning that I had to buy lunch at 16:38- I only had some soup and bits of bread for breakfast
2:40 pm-3:40 pm- Physics ISA Paper 2. I hate ISAs.
3:40 pm-4:30 pm- Geography Controlled Assessment
4:38 pm Ordered lunch and took it to eat on the bus 10 minutes later; found that I forgot to borrow cutlery meaning that I had to wait until I reached home to eat half of it.
5:15 pm: Arrived home...

I really hate people who ruin my day.

And thank you very much; I do now understand what makes a resource renewable.
Well, first of all, you destroy the moon.

Secondly, think of all the infrastructure needed to get stuff to the moon and back. That's a huge amount of industrialisation required. On top of that, it's definitely not going to solve any of the geopolitical problems we have with energy at the moment because it's going to be the exact same powers owning the rights over the big energy source.

The Long Summer looks very interesting, I might get it. Thanks for the advice :smile:

Once you build something like a space elevator its built tho. Mining the moon would most likely involve colonisation and make space exploration easier and more environmentally friendly as you wouldn't have to constantly propel things out of the earths gravity.

Quick Reply

Latest