The Student Room Group

I cant stop thinking about him.

I was friends with a guy for ages. Now we don't speak. He has changed his ways and is really religious now (muslim). He is very different from me. I am happy for him, once he got closer to Islam, his anger faded, he is much calmer. But I do miss him. I read our old messages and it kills me. I need help moving on. I want to go to uni and become a doctor now, I wont see him ever again Im assuming, but when im studying I see him looking at me, its really strange now. I miss the old times, we were so close. He used to share everything with me. At first I thought he was like a brother but then feelings changed and I never told him. I never planned to as I am against dating. Btw I am 17 and a female. I live in London, and only met him at college here. In high school we never spoke.
-I just don't know, is there any chance of me speaking to him In the future or should I just get over it. We didn't argue, we just drifted apart. I never see him now besides once or twice at college whilst eating lunch. Sometimes I feel like he was only my friend to date me.. and now I can tell he wants to speak but stops his self. I just need advice on how to get over it. It's hard. We were close, I felt comfortable with him. But I feel like he was only my friend as he wanted to date me.. am I wrong? I knew he liked me all along for years but acted like I never knew.

How do I get out of this eating my brain away?
When you do see him again, just treat him as a friend.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
When you do see him again, just treat him as a friend.

but I miss the old times, he doesn't even speak to me. there is no hate. I just cant get over it.
Why cant you and him date? You dont have to snog or anything if you feel you are committing a sin. It sounds like you both like each other, at least you can still be friends? He is probably wandering the exact same thing as you, "i wander how she feels about me"
Walk up to him, say hi. Trust me itll work. Im kind of in a very similar situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Daveishere
Walk up to him, say hi. Trust me itll work. Im kind of in a very similar situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

its hard to make it work, I don't see him often, im always studying, he isn't even going to university. He wants to be a religious scholar. now the relationship of a doctor and him isn't going to be easy, maybe its not meant to be. and we haven't spoken to eachother in months, it would be strange now.. he is really weird with me, I know he still has feelings but he is very quiet and looks away, he seems very nervous now :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
its hard to make it work, I don't see him often, im always studying, he isn't even going to university. He wants to be a religious scholar. now the relationship of a doctor and him isn't going to be easy, maybe its not meant to be. and we haven't spoken to eachother in months, it would be strange now.. he is really weird with me, I know he still has feelings but he is very quiet and looks away, he seems very nervous now :frown:

He is nervous because he has no idea what you think. If you just walk up to him, say 'hey [name]. Ive kind of missed hanging out with you and stuff. [possibly mention you are nervous] im wondering if youd want to hang out again.' I know its way easier said than done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Daveishere
He is nervous because he has no idea what you think. If you just walk up to him, say 'hey [name]. Ive kind of missed hanging out with you and stuff. [possibly mention you are nervous] im wondering if youd want to hang out again.' I know its way easier said than done

Posted from TSR Mobile

see ive told him that but its weird now. I guess he is worried about what everyone will think of him being in a relationship. He is really shy too. Its harder for two people who aren't exactly dating experts. We don't roll that way, but yeah I guess some things aren't meant to be :frown: I doubt studying medicine whilst he is on a gap year and not planning to go to uni anyway will work out. we will drift away eventually. But we both like eachother and haven't told eachother, this hurts. he is a really good guy as well. I mean he respects me so much. mann this is annoyng
Reply 8
I was friends with a guy for ages. Now we don't speak. He has changed his ways and is really religious now (muslim). He is very different from me. I am happy for him, once he got closer to Islam, his anger faded, he is much calmer. But I do miss him. I read our old messages and it kills me. I need help moving on. I want to go to uni and become a doctor now, I wont see him ever again Im assuming, but when im studying I see him looking at me, its really strange now. I miss the old times, we were so close. He used to share everything with me. At first I thought he was like a brother but then feelings changed and I never told him. I never planned to as I am against dating. Btw I am 17 and a female. I live in London, and only met him at college here. In high school we never spoke.
-I just don't know, is there any chance of me speaking to him In the future or should I just get over it. We didn't argue, we just drifted apart. I never see him now besides once or twice at college whilst eating lunch. Sometimes I feel like he was only my friend to date me.. and now I can tell he wants to speak but stops his self. I just need advice on how to get over it. It's hard. We were close, I felt comfortable with him. But I feel like he was only my friend as he wanted to date me.. am I wrong? I knew he liked me all along for years but acted like I never knew.

Damn...

Well, I hope he feels the same way, otherwise this advice would be rubbish. Maybe go up to him and speak to him privately, tell him how you miss the old times etc. You say that he's turned religious, so he wouldn't be rude to you at all or embarrass you or anything, just get it out of the way. Otherwise you'll be regretting not talking to him and see where it leads to. Who knows? Maybe he feels the same way about you? Maybe you guys can be friends until marriage (so you don't commit sins for his sake). Are you religious yourself btw?
Reply 9
see ive told him that but its weird now. I guess he is worried about what everyone will think of him being in a relationship. He is really shy too. Its harder for two people who aren't exactly dating experts. We don't roll that way, but yeah I guess some things aren't meant to be :frown: I doubt studying medicine whilst he is on a gap year and not planning to go to uni anyway will work out. we will drift away eventually. But we both like eachother and haven't told eachother, this hurts. he is a really good guy as well. I mean he respects me so much. mann this is annoyng

Just seen this, maybe go up to him again, and in a more private area so he isn't shy?
Original post by AnharM
Just seen this, maybe go up to him again, and in a more private area so he isn't shy?

see that's the hard part. Even if it is private area it would be weird. We both liked eachother and it was obvious, we never did anything crazy. It was a sweet friendship. Thing is things are so unpredictable. There is no way this will work when I am in uni and he is somewhere else. I will see what I can do, but in the long run, distance will get in the way, this is so hard for me and Im not even bothered about guys. I take relationships seriously. I know he would too.. :frown: Im feeling like if it could work I wouldnt even mind marrying him (i know its ages away but we are both that mature, we are not the mess about dating for no reason type lol. Thanks for the advice though, I will try speaking to him when I have the guts lol :frown:
Its really hard being so different from eachother but so similar at the same time!
Reply 11
see that's the hard part. Even if it is private area it would be weird. We both liked eachother and it was obvious, we never did anything crazy. It was a sweet friendship. Thing is things are so unpredictable. There is no way this will work when I am in uni and he is somewhere else. I will see what I can do, but in the long run, distance will get in the way, this is so hard for me and Im not even bothered about guys. I take relationships seriously. I know he would too.. :frown: Im feeling like if it could work I wouldnt even mind marrying him (i know its ages away but we are both that mature, we are not the mess about dating for no reason type lol. Thanks for the advice though, I will try speaking to him when I have the guts lol :frown:
Its really hard being so different from eachother but so similar at the same time!

Yeah marriage was actually my first thought, but I didnt think you were up for it at your age. Good luck with whatever you choose to do :smile:

Hello! I just want to say that I have been through what you're going through.
I liked this certain guy because of his character. We used to talk on WhatsApp and he was in my form in 6th form. We were good friends.
Thing is, we used to talk a lot and about anything and I liked his company. At school we would talk but not as much. Sometimes he used to do things which were confusing to me like look at me when we used to study, sit next to me in class, wave at me. This was in year 12. At first I didn't like him thinking he was a bad guy and does it to every girl he sees. but I got to know him and understand him. However In year 13 he became far more religious which I respect completely as I am religious too. However he told me he feels uncomfortable talking to girls via text and stuff and said he'd preferred it if we talked more in school. I understood where he was coming from because I think he feels it is Haram for a girl and a guy to talk privately with one and another, as they say the devil is the third when a man and woman are alone together. Therefore I tried to understand. However it was difficult. It wasn't easy. I even tried to text him by accident just to talk to him, how pathetic I know, but I missed it a lot.
He also wanted to study medicine so he was already stressed and tensed about that so I stopped slowly bothering him. To the point where we don't speak anymore. When he does see me he would ask about me perhaps trying not to hurt me,saying things like hey, how are you etc. Which was sweet but made it even harder to get over him.
I really liked him but I wanted to get over him. It didn't help that his best friend knew I liked him.
Anyway flash forward he is in the same uni as me and is studying medicine, and whenever we see each other we would smile, talk briefly and carry on with our lives.
You see, all this is just temporary. Sure it's fun, and you miss the old days, I still miss it now, but you need to see things from a realistic point of view.
He wants to become more religious that's great. In doing so he is trying to start afresh and stop talking to girls privately and unnecessarily.
I think the best thing to do is move on honey, it's hard, I know, it's not easy I know, but you want to study medicine so you need to stop thinking about things that may hinder you from achieving what you want. I couldn't study properly when I used to think about him.
This is life. These things happen. And right now you need to get your priorities straight. If it's meant to be and you still want to marry him in the near future then be patient and if you are religious pray to God to guide you along the way and do what is best for you and make things easier for you.
You never know, you might meet someone who is much better and much more compatible with you in the future.
If he wanted to talk to you he would have. He hasn't because he knows he can't. What good will come out of it?
I'm so sorry if I sound harsh but you're 17 and with big aspirations. Think straight, move on, study hard and be patient. If God wills everything will work out just fine. I know we did. And I liked him for more than 2 years. Take care =D
Why don't you two just be best friends?
Hello! I just want to say that I have been through what you're going through.
I liked this certain guy because of his character. We used to talk on WhatsApp and he was in my form in 6th form. We were good friends.
Thing is, we used to talk a lot and about anything and I liked his company. At school we would talk but not as much. Sometimes he used to do things which were confusing to me like look at me when we used to study, sit next to me in class, wave at me. This was in year 12. At first I didn't like him thinking he was a bad guy and does it to every girl he sees. but I got to know him and understand him. However In year 13 he became far more religious which I respect completely as I am religious too. However he told me he feels uncomfortable talking to girls via text and stuff and said he'd preferred it if we talked more in school. I understood where he was coming from because I think he feels it is Haram for a girl and a guy to talk privately with one and another, as they say the devil is the third when a man and woman are alone together. Therefore I tried to understand. However it was difficult. It wasn't easy. I even tried to text him by accident just to talk to him, how pathetic I know, but I missed it a lot.
He also wanted to study medicine so he was already stressed and tensed about that so I stopped slowly bothering him. To the point where we don't speak anymore. When he does see me he would ask about me perhaps trying not to hurt me,saying things like hey, how are you etc. Which was sweet but made it even harder to get over him.
I really liked him but I wanted to get over him. It didn't help that his best friend knew I liked him.
Anyway flash forward he is in the same uni as me and is studying medicine, and whenever we see each other we would smile, talk briefly and carry on with our lives.
You see, all this is just temporary. Sure it's fun, and you miss the old days, I still miss it now, but you need to see things from a realistic point of view.
He wants to become more religious that's great. In doing so he is trying to start afresh and stop talking to girls privately and unnecessarily.
I think the best thing to do is move on honey, it's hard, I know, it's not easy I know, but you want to study medicine so you need to stop thinking about things that may hinder you from achieving what you want. I couldn't study properly when I used to think about him.
This is life. These things happen. And right now you need to get your priorities straight. If it's meant to be and you still want to marry him in the near future then be patient and if you are religious pray to God to guide you along the way and do what is best for you and make things easier for you.
You never know, you might meet someone who is much better and much more compatible with you in the future.
If he wanted to talk to you he would have. He hasn't because he knows he can't. What good will come out of it?
I'm so sorry if I sound harsh but you're 17 and with big aspirations. Think straight, move on, study hard and be patient. If God wills everything will work out just fine. I know we did. And I liked him for more than 2 years. Take care =D

this made me feel so good. thank you. :smile: I think you are right, it is hard, and I think I just wanted to speak about it. I am focusing on more important things now. thank you :smile: and our stories are so similar, me wanting to do medicine doesn't help the whole situation, and I know its wrong being close to him anyway, that's what makes it harder!
Reply 15
Allah is the best planner. Put your trust into him and watch it all fall into place.
I never planned to as I am against dating.

:sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending