Watch
FlameHazeHannah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys

what genre do you listen ?

what do you listen to when your feeling down?
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm reeeeeally in to indie at the moment. I have an obsession with Bombay Bicycle Club and have recently been listening to the Maccabees. Ive always listened quite religiously to The Script too.

It depends how down I am. If I'm really down then I usually have to separate myself from everything, including music. But if I know that music will help it would probably be what I usually listen to or some relaxing acoustic stuff. (Ie Bombay's Flaws album)
Did go through a phase where I really liked reggae, but I tend to listen to one main artist for a number of months, rather than a range of people.
ItsOnlyJess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I mostly listen to pop music (cheesier the better!), and when i am down i listen to songs about living in the moment
laurenkate93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing my dissertation on genre preference and uses of music, if anyone could spare a few seconds to complete my questionnaire I'd really appreciate it!! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gKj...Js8wY/viewform
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More often than not I listen to music that exacerbates my mood. If I'm feeling down then I'm far more likely to listen to depressing music than I am if I'm happy, I find it incredibly cathartic.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Trance
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
New wave is my favourite.

When I feel down I listen to some John Denver or Dolly Parton

Posted from TSR Mobile
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't understand the sort of person who would willingly confine themselves to such a narrow subset of the thousands of genres available.
TheDaylighter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
I don't understand the sort of person who would willingly confine themselves to such a narrow subset of the thousands of genres available.
I agree. I always find it difficult to answer when people ask what genre I listen to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nuclear Ghost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IcEmAn911)
Trance
Trance and progressive house ftw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
More often than not I listen to music that exacerbates my mood. If I'm feeling down then I'm far more likely to listen to depressing music than I am if I'm happy, I find it incredibly cathartic.
Same, to a certain extent. I used to listen to nothing but Silencer, Coldworld and Xasthur on bad days. Now I usually go for black metal that's more uplifting or just melancholic rather than straight up depressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lovepeace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hardstyle that puts me in a good mood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
House, Alternative, Electronic mainly. it depends on my mood.
StarvingAutist
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Psychedelic stuff. Also a lot of folk. I don't mind what genre something is as long as it's good
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A bit of all sorts
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
A bit of all sorts
You have not a genre you like the least then. And I guess that even goes for pop songs. If so, respect. That is one of the genres, I don't really like, it is so smaltzy.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
You have not a genre you like the least then. And I guess that even goes for pop songs. If so, respect. That is one of the genres, I don't really like, it is so smaltzy.
I dont really like classical music.
But i like most other music.
lobster1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Emily.97)
I'm reeeeeally in to indie at the moment. I have an obsession with Bombay Bicycle Club and have recently been listening to the Maccabees. Ive always listened quite religiously to The Script too.

It depends how down I am. If I'm really down then I usually have to separate myself from everything, including music. But if I know that music will help it would probably be what I usually listen to or some relaxing acoustic stuff. (Ie Bombay's Flaws album)
Did go through a phase where I really liked reggae, but I tend to listen to one main artist for a number of months, rather than a range of people.
(Original post by Emily.97)

Also love indie rocky sort of stuff. Have you heard Declan McKenna's new song, British Bombs, v good.

I think Jazz will always be the genre most personal to me though. Listened to it since I was little; it's so beautiful and melodic. It gives me so much joy and comfort and seems to put everything into perspective (:
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Punk, alt rock, and hip-hop (proper hip-hop lol) primarily. Sometimes a bit of metal, indie and RnB stuff.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
I dont really like classical music.
But i like most other music.
I listen to classic when I am in a relaxing mood. It is the same reason why I listen to instrumental, it is so calming.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (116)
47.93%
Take exams next summer (33)
13.64%
Change uni choice through clearing (62)
25.62%
Apply to uni next year instead (20)
8.26%
I'm not applying to university (11)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise