The Student Room Group

Ufc, mma, boxing, kickboxing, karate, sambo, judo and jiu jitsu fans

If anyone is a fan of any combat sport, then talk and if anyone practices any mma discipline then feel free to give any tips and advices. Also wherever you`re from please state any local gyms or training places nearby so that others can practice.
I was planning to start Thai boxing soon tho the place is meant to be the best for training and making champions they're quite expensive.

So I wanted to ask to anyone going to any martial arts how long it took before they started to get the hang of things ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
welcome to the thread. I did MMA for a couple of months and the coach said it takes about 2-3 years to become a professional. But if you`re going for fitness only then it`ll take about couple of months to get the hang of it. I don`t know much about thai boxing but I`m assuming it`ll take same amount of time. Yea they are expensive because you`re paying for what you get but some of them rip you off. you need to watch out for them.
Original post by U33B
welcome to the thread. I did MMA for a couple of months and the coach said it takes about 2-3 years to become a professional. But if you`re going for fitness only then it`ll take about couple of months to get the hang of it. I don`t know much about thai boxing but I`m assuming it`ll take same amount of time. Yea they are expensive because you`re paying for what you get but some of them rip you off. you need to watch out for them.

Hmm yeah 2-3 years seems alright to become a professional but I meant in terms of being pretty decent at it and being able to use what you learnt when u need to would u say those couple of months were enough? I want a rough idea of how long before I start to do things without much thought if you get what im saying.

Yeah the place is called K-star and they're meant to be really good but like I said not cheap lol.
Reply 4
Original post by Numan786
Hmm yeah 2-3 years seems alright to become a professional but I meant in terms of being pretty decent at it and being able to use what you learnt when u need to would u say those couple of months were enough? I want a rough idea of how long before I start to do things without much thought if you get what im saying.

Yeah the place is called K-star and they're meant to be really good but like I said not cheap lol.

some people learn quickly than others so an exact estimation is quite difficult. I`m a quick learner so in approx 2 months I knew every technique and was able to train without assistance so it all depends. My friend who is quite slow leanred a bit longer than me and he needed full assistance. Luckily I tought him a couple things and he managed to pick it up. Unfortunately the trainnig place moved to another location so I couldn`t go because it was quite far but I still remember a couple of things.
Original post by U33B
some people learn quickly than others so an exact estimation is quite difficult. I`m a quick learner so in approx 2 months I knew every technique and was able to train without assistance so it all depends. My friend who is quite slow leanred a bit longer than me and he needed full assistance. Luckily I tought him a couple things and he managed to pick it up. Unfortunately the trainnig place moved to another location so I couldn`t go because it was quite far but I still remember a couple of things.

That's fine thanks I'm looking forward to when I do get started and hopefully will pick it up quick but the whole not being fit on the inside thing is gonna kill me lol.

Apparently the best thing to get beter is to enter tournaments as my mate told me his friend was pants before enterif a tournament where he got KO'd and then after the tournament he went HAM and is a good fighter now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Numan786
That's fine thanks I'm looking forward to when I do get started and hopefully will pick it up quick but the whole not being fit on the inside thing is gonna kill me lol.

Apparently the best thing to get beter is to enter tournaments as my mate told me his friend was pants before enterif a tournament where he got KO'd and then after the tournament he went HAM and is a good fighter now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOl you have to start from somewhere. Don`t worry about the fitness, you can build it up as you go along, but make sure you are consistent. Don`t slack off otherwise your fitness level will go down. In order to be considered for tournaments you need right skills and experience. Some coaches look for the worst outcome so they put inexperienced people with talented fighters and when they lose they blaim the people. A good coach will focus on a person, make them a better fighter and always encourage them to train harder.
Reply 7
Hello,

I do kickboxing. :smile: Have been training for almost 6 years now, although I only have four belts (should have been able to get more, but a) I panic in grading situations and b) I have to do some basic teaching for next belt to work towards being a junior instructor, but I have social anxiety and I don't speak in front of lots of people). Have had 5 semi-contact fights, haven't fought for over a year though. I miss it though, good motivation to get back to it!

I'd agree with above, don't worry about not being fit enough - everyone has to start somewhere and they don't expect everyone to be amazing straight away! And yes, consistency - you have to really commit to training, put in the hard work. Our club is great, they won't put forward fighters who aren't training regularly. And I tend to agree with the line of thought that you can learn more from a loss than you can from a win (however horrible it feels!)
Original post by Liv1204
Hello,

I do kickboxing. :smile: Have been training for almost 6 years now, although I only have four belts (should have been able to get more, but a) I panic in grading situations and b) I have to do some basic teaching for next belt to work towards being a junior instructor, but I have social anxiety and I don't speak in front of lots of people). Have had 5 semi-contact fights, haven't fought for over a year though. I miss it though, good motivation to get back to it!

I'd agree with above, don't worry about not being fit enough - everyone has to start somewhere and they don't expect everyone to be amazing straight away! And yes, consistency - you have to really commit to training, put in the hard work. Our club is great, they won't put forward fighters who aren't training regularly. And I tend to agree with the line of thought that you can learn more from a loss than you can from a win (however horrible it feels!)

My mate did kickboxing and hes a little guy but I saw him fight some big guys and he managed to kick all their asses but he never received that last belt which some girl at our uni was bragging about having to him lol.

The other place where my mate/neighbor did muay thai wasnt a proper club and he put people he thought could do better in tournies or people who wanted to participate as everyone who went to a tournament and lost came back a better fighter and improved alot afterwards.
Reply 9
Hi,
I used to do karate for 10 years in my country. Now I am finishing my first year in Bradford and I have not done here karate at all, because we don't have it in uni sportscentre and well I have not found anything near. Does anybody here do karate in Bradford somewhere or can recommend a good place, if there is any? :smile: Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest