julia_95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've applied to Archaeology and Anthropology at both Bournemouth and Southhampton. I've gotten an offer from BU and Soton wants an interview.

The thing is I live in Denmark, and it's going to be quite expensive to fly to England and pay for hostel/motel + flight tickets, just for the interview.

Is Bournemouth a good place to study Archaeology/Anthropology?

I realise Soton is higher ranked etc. And BU has very mixed reviews. But I've looked at videos, reviews etc about/from BU - and it looks really nice tbh, it has a charming feel.

So, yeah, my concern is just: is BU the right choice to study Archaeology and Anthropology? Or should I just pay the price and go to the interview?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by julia_95)
I've applied to Archaeology and Anthropology at both Bournemouth and Southhampton. I've gotten an offer from BU and Soton wants an interview.

The thing is I live in Denmark, and it's going to be quite expensive to fly to England and pay for hostel/motel + flight tickets, just for the interview.

I realise Soton is higher ranked etc. And BU has very mixed reviews. But I've looked at videos, reviews etc about/from BU - and it looks really nice tbh, it has a charming feel.

So, yeah, my concern is just: is BU the right choice to study Archaeology and Anthropology? Or should I just pay the price and go to the interview?
You don't always have to attend an interview - if you explain about the costs then they might be willing to do a skype interview or even just make you an offer without an interview. It's unusual to insist non-UK applicants travel to attend an interview.
GemmaJewell2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hi Julia,

Congratulations on getting an offer from BU!

I currently study BA Television Production at BU so thought I could give you an insight of what Bournemouth Uni is like.

BU has a lot to offer as there are over 100 clubs and societies to get involved with including lots of sports teams if your interested in playing sports. Its town is full of students and right on the beach, we also have loads of clubs and bars for nightlife. There is also a shopping centre and a beautiful park which has a hot air bloon in!.. Basically you won't get bored if you come here!

In BU most of are accommodation is in town and right next to each other which is great for the social experience. Most of the accommodation also has en-suites which is always nice I currently live at Dorchester so if you do come here I would recommend applying to live here as we also get double beds!

I believe your course also offers a short placement or an optional 40 week placement. BU is fantastic for offering work experience which will be extremely valuable when finishing your degree. It gives you that extra step when you leave as your have both a degree and experience!

Either way I am sure your love university and good luck with your decision.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask,

Gemma
amypotts
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hi Julia,

I am a second year Archaeology student at Bournemouth Uni. I don't know anything about Soton, but I can give you a run down of what you will get from Bournemouth .

In the first year you will have a range of topics which is meant to bring everyone to a similar level, if you haven't ever studied archaeology or anthropology before. At the end of the first year you are expected (and have to) go on the big dig. This is a 5 week excavation run by the university every year. It is tough but a lot of fun.

Bournemouth has a really good reputation for producing field archaeologists- and with the practical experience you get from the big dig and the guest lecturers and practical work throughout you get good value for money. You will be doing some work with the archaeologists in the first year, and some with other courses.

Personally when I was looking around for Universities two years ago I found that a higher ranked choice didn't sit as well for me as Bournemouth did. I would say check out what you will be studying during the year (units) , if it covers your interests and what you want go for it!

If Southampton seems interesting but you aren't sure, going to the interview, or as suggested above- contacting them and explaining the situation- would be your best bet. You can always say no later. Trust yourself, your gut instinct (and the uni prospectus and course units) are often a fairly good guide to where to go.

Good luck!

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads