Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT A/S Chemistry Org: Reactions & Isomers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am stuck on the following:

Reduction of a branched alkene A with hydrogen formed a compound B. On analysis, B had the composition by mass of C, 82.8%; H, 17.2% (Mr = 58). Reaction of A with steam in the presence of a catalyst produced a mixture of two isomers C and D.

Identify possible structures for compounds A-D. Your answer should show all working and include strucutral formulae for each structure and equation for each reaction. [9 marks]

I have calculated the empirical formula of B = C2H5 and the molecular formula of B = C4H10.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well you've started correctly by working out B, then you have to work backwards for A. As B is Butane, and A is a branched alkene, I think A is methylpropene. Would you agree with that?

ReputationRep:
    according to the book, B is (CH3)2CHCH3 I am so confused ! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    according to the book, B is (CH3)2CHCH3 I am so confused ! :eek:
    Ok sorry I was forgetting A was branched, which makes B methylpropane, but its kinda hard to draw it on here! Have you looked up the reactions of alkenes with steam, which will help you find C and D?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will look up the reactions and see if I understand

ReputationRep:
    If you want I can write it on a piece of paper for you and scan it and post it up here so you can see what the compounds should look like? You should get an alcohol, which has 2 isomers.

ReputationRep:
    If you could that would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    (CH3)2CHCH3 is the same as C4H10 but (CH3)2CHCH3 is structured. (CH3)2 is branched off the C on the CH part if u get wot i mean!!

alkenes react with steam to produce alchohols. the catalyst is phosphoric acid. ths process is called direct hydration. so maybe 1 of ur isomers is an alcohol

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here it is, i've had to resize it really small so it'll fit as an attachment so you might have to fiddle with it before you're able to read it!

I haven't included reaction equations on it though.

If you can't read it I'll make it big and send it to you by email, if you want.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.