The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello Darren,

I have been wondering, if there is any additional financial help for undergraduate medical students (apart from those already available for home students) ?
Hi, ive applied to study children's nursing which makes me entitled to a NHS bursary. Could I still apply for a grant from Student Finance?
What funding is there for NHS students? This comes up time and time again in student financial support and aside from something about tuition fees being paid and a reduced maintenance loan, I'm not really sure of the funding.

And placements and travel - funding?
Reply 4
Hi there, I was just wondering what people can tell me about NHS bursaries? I am applying to do nursing and have been told I might be eligible for some NHS bursaries. I have looked on the NHS bursaries website but it seems a bit unclear. Any advice?
Thank you!:smile:
The NHS is a obviously a massive issue in the election this year. Could there by any change to NHS funding if the government changes or is that a stupid question?
If someone if looking to become a doctor, could things change a lot in the next few years (has much changed in the past?)
Reply 6
Hi Darren, Im currently a student studying chiropractic in oxford, I am thinking about applying to Warwick post graduate medical school in September to start in September 2016. I was wondering when I should start applying to the NHS for a bursary or if im actually eligible for one. I have done the test on the NHS website and they say I am, but I was wondering if Warwick would be an NHS funded uni?

Thanks

Original post by Student Money Week
Darren is on hand to answer questions from students thinking of studying NHS funded courses.

Advisor for this Q&A

Darren Hanson, Operational Training and Service Improvement Co-ordinator

Darren has been a member of the NHS Student Bursaries Team since 2002. He’s responsible for producing training material and training staff.
May I ask how the funding process works with regards to NHS funded courses? Does the funding provided by the NHS cover students for all years of study for example? Some general information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
For a student studying medicine, what years do the NHS provide funding?
Original post by roksana92
Hello Darren,

I have been wondering, if there is any additional financial help for undergraduate medical students (apart from those already available for home students) ?

Hi
Yes additional funding is available for UG Medical students from year 5 of the course. Further information is available on our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx where you can find useful information for all existing and prospective NHS students, including the different NHS Bursary Scheme rates and downloadable versions of all our student guidance
booklets.
Original post by benthelamb
May I ask how the funding process works with regards to NHS funded courses? Does the funding provided by the NHS cover students for all years of study for example? Some general information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

The funding differs depending on the course. Please visit our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx where you can find useful information for all existing and prospective NHS students, including the different NHS Bursary Scheme rates and downloadable versions of all our student guidance booklets.
Original post by jelly1000
For a student studying medicine, what years do the NHS provide funding?

From year 5 for under graduate and years 2 to 4 for post graduate.
Original post by miss_fitness1234
Hi, ive applied to study children's nursing which makes me entitled to a NHS bursary. Could I still apply for a grant from Student Finance?

Most NHS students can still apply for the none means tested student loan as well as being in receipt of the bursary.
Original post by OU Student
What funding is there for NHS students? This comes up time and time again in student financial support and aside from something about tuition fees being paid and a reduced maintenance loan, I'm not really sure of the funding.

And placements and travel - funding?

Yes the NHS Bursary is usually available for students studying on health care professional courses. Some funding is available for travel while on placements depending on your circumstances. You may wish to visit our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx where you can find useful information, including the different NHS Bursary Scheme rates and downloadable versions of all our student guidance booklets.
Original post by Wheezy
Hi there, I was just wondering what people can tell me about NHS bursaries? I am applying to do nursing and have been told I might be eligible for some NHS bursaries. I have looked on the NHS bursaries website but it seems a bit unclear. Any advice?
Thank you!:smile:

Hello
The funding available is for NHS commissioned courses only therefore you will first need to be offered a place on such a course by your university. For nursing this must be a pre-registration course. If you are then a means tested bursary, non-means tested grant and other allowances are available.
Original post by Sazzy890
The NHS is a obviously a massive issue in the election this year. Could there by any change to NHS funding if the government changes or is that a stupid question?
If someone if looking to become a doctor, could things change a lot in the next few years (has much changed in the past?)

If major changes are introduced communications well in advance will be issued and made available to anyone who may be affected.
Original post by lmedwards
Hi Darren, Im currently a student studying chiropractic in oxford, I am thinking about applying to Warwick post graduate medical school in September to start in September 2016. I was wondering when I should start applying to the NHS for a bursary or if im actually eligible for one. I have done the test on the NHS website and they say I am, but I was wondering if Warwick would be an NHS funded uni?

Thanks

If you are applying for your NHS Bursary for the first time please visit our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4002.aspx to find out when to make your application. You may wish to contact Warwick university to confirm if this course attracts NHS funding from year 2.
We have a Facebook page where you can find out up to date information about NHS Student Bursaries and the service we provide. Like our page to stay right up to date.

We’ve launched a Twitter page in order to make links on social media with universities, colleges and students.
Our tweets will contain useful information about NHS and Social Work Bursaries.
Start following us today. Go to www.twitter.com and search for our page @NHSBSA_Students.
If you have any questions about NHS Bursary funding following this session you can always use our Ask Us service 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
If you have any questions about NHS Bursary funding following this session you can always use our
Ask Us service 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Latest