jasminam99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

Myself and a few friends are really struggling with our coursework for English lit. Our teacher really doesn't help us, she just sits and types away for the hour. We have to write a comparative essay, the question is; 'How do Shakespeare and Bronte present the theme of love in Romeo and Juliet and Wuthering Heights?'

Any help would be deeply appreciated!
jenny07
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jasminam99)
'How do Shakespeare and Bronte present the theme of love in Romeo and Juliet and Wuthering Heights?'
Hi,

When doing a comparative essay (whether it is between two poems, two pieces of prose, or a poem and drama piece), it is important to draw elements of form, structure, and language from the two texts, as well as touching upon historical context.

Many people think that when they are faced with comparative questions such as yours, they assume that the examiner wants them to draw upon the similarities between the two texts. Although this is good, it doesn't give you the ability to show the examiner the skills you have acquired throughout the course such as in-depth analysis. Therefore, it is much better to distinguish the differences between 'Romeo and Juliet' and 'Wuthering Heights'.

My best advice for you and your friends would be to find a 'thread' which links the two together. For example, do they both include a tragic love? Are they both about young love which results in ultimate death? From thereon, you should try and separate the two texts from that one element where you joined them and begin to discuss the differences in form, structure and language considering one is a play, and the other, a novel.

As for historical context, focus on how the writing is perhaps different from Shakespeare's era (roughly the end of 16th century to the early 17th century) when compared to 'Wuthering Heights' which was written in 1847. What are the differences there? Have they affected the sort of characters chosen or presented within the text? And so on.

When doing coursework, I find that having drafts of ideas and quotes that you want to include are helpful for when you starting writing. If there is a point you wish to state or explore, then going through the text and finding relevant quotes is also helpful so that you are not flicking through the pages over and over again for when you want to start properly writing the essay.

Due to the nature of the question, I'm guessing this is A level English? Although I cannot be too sure since they are introducing different topics into GCSEs now. If this is in fact A levels then this is the sort of thing that examiners are looking for. The questions sounds like something from the AQA board 'Love Through The Ages' which I did for my A levels. I followed this kind of plan/route when writing essays and I have find it very useful.

Good luck!
jasminam99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

Thank you so much for your help! I was lost on simply what my teacher wanted me to include in a comparative essay! I really appreciate your help! It's GCSE by the way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (30)
42.86%
Take autumn exams (26)
37.14%
Look for a job (1)
1.43%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
2.86%
Take a year out (8)
11.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads