Matt347
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My politics teacher's distaste for thatcher makes me feel that I have to conceal my admiration for her, does anyone else feel the same?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Matt347)
My politics teacher's distaste for thatcher makes me feel that I have to conceal my admiration for her, does anyone else feel the same?
Are you a wet?
Matt347
Rep:
?
ye
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do you admire her? I'm just wondering.
(I do A Level Politics but Thatcher is barely mentioned. It could be because I do CCEA Politics.)
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
Why do you admire her? I'm just wondering.
(I do A Level Politics but Thatcher is barely mentioned. It could be because I do CCEA Politics.)
Its not something you can understand from books, Matt347 experienced life then and the positive change he saw and felt.
Matt347
Rep:
?
Not necessarily because of her policies, she comes across as very charismatic and I read that she obtained a scholarship to Oxford University to study chemistry and I find it interesting how people either love her or hate her.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ye
So you didn't really learn anything from her.

Shame.
Matt347
Rep:
?
I've learnt a great deal from her, I've read her biography and although I'm not old enough to have been around in the eighties it is my favourite decade to read about concerning British history, that and the second world war
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Its not something you can understand from books, Matt347 experienced life then and the positive change he saw and felt.
Thatcherism isn't in my course at all. Of course ideologies can't be fully understood from books, only their theories.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Worrying that your teacher is bringing personal bias into the lesson.
Matt347
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Worrying that your teacher is bringing personal bias into the lesson.
M
y teacher has spoken in the past that some examiners may feel to mark a piece of writing down in accordance to where they stand politically
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
M
y teacher has spoken in the past that some examiners may feel to mark a piece of writing down in accordance to where they stand politically
Highlighting conerns already made.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...n-schools.html
Matt347
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Highlighting conerns already made.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...n-schools.html
True
constantino_chr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He had more balls than all other Prime Ministers combined. The right to buy scheme was one of the greatest policies ever launched in my opinion.
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On paper Thatcher sounds like a hero but apply her ideology over 45 years of real time and your see that all she created was wealth for the top 10% and misery everyone else.

Neo-Liberalism and Neo-Conservatism has created a huge wealth gap between the rich and poor since 1970.

The idea that the rich will invest their money and create new business is a load of rubbish.

There are very few tycoons out there like Richard Branson. The majority of rich people simply use credit like everyone else.

The rich don't create much business as you may think.

Those who do create a lot of new business are the middle classes but unlike the rich they spend 99% of their income in the mainstream economy. The difference being the rich do not. The rich tend to spend about 5% of their wealth in the mainstream economy and a further 15% in the luxury economy. The remaining 80% is put in the bank or used for speculative wealth gain.

So trickle down economics does not work. The low tax system is just a way to siphon wealth from the poorest to the richest.

Thatcherism isn't just responsible for the trickle down fallacy but is also responsible for the complete dilution of public housing, utilities and services.

The thought that privatisation would decrease the costs of the needs of a household is a fallacy. In fact household needs have got more expensive year on year since 1970.

And this brings me to the dilution of our manufacturing sector which Thatcher is also responsible for. Unlike Germany who allowed their manufacturing workers to receive half dole money and half wages during the bad times we decided to lay all our manufacturing workers off. British Engineers are now a thing of the past and they are so rare that they get offered jobs outside of the UK. This has left our nation with little to nothing in the Engineering sector.

I think the only people who can truly respect and admire Thatcher are enter-pruners since she put in place the conditions to allow the exploitation of the poor in de-industrialised areas.

Thatcherism has had 45 years to try and fix Northern England and its unsuccessful.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No-one really explains why they hate her. Oh she closed mines? Right because they were so successful and weren't closing already ...

Oh the miners became jobless? Yeah I remember when my town's economy was all in one basket and there was one type of job ...
illegaltobepoor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
No-one really explains why they hate her. Oh she closed mines? Right because they were so successful and weren't closing already ...

Oh the miners became jobless? Yeah I remember when my town's economy was all in one basket and there was one type of job ...
You can either pull the carpet underneath the workforce in 1 pull or you can gently remove it. Thatcher destroyed the whole north in 1 big pull.

How can any group of workers reinvent themselves when they are all put on the dole?

It has taken up until now for the West to consider Coal Gasification. This technology was out in the 19th century. Yet we would have had the infrastructure to do it if it wasn't for Thatchers sharp elbow screw you method.
illegaltobepoor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyway ding dong the witch is dead the wicked witch is dead.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by constantino_chr)
He had more balls than all other Prime Ministers combined. The right to buy scheme was one of the greatest policies ever launched in my opinion.
Except it created a huge shortage of houses and a 5 million person waiting list.
But yeah, one of the greatest policies wasn't it.
Mind you, when you think Thatcher was a man, it's no surprise you have such daft views.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)

Nobody explains why they hate her because they can't articulate why their parents hated her.

Mining communities adapted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.79%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.21%

Watched Threads