The Student Room Group

86% A/B at AS Level

Is a school getting 86% A/B at AS Level impressive?
I've never seen AS Level grade percentages so have nothing to compare it to...

Can you get an A* at A Level with a B at AS?
Reply 1
Original post by Nomes24

Yes it's impressive.

And you can get an A* with a B at AS Level.
Original post by Nomes24

That sounds quite good. I think there are tools online to compare A-level results for schools nationally.

Don't get the impression that you just walk in to a school with good results and expect everything to happen for you, but they are good indicators to an extent.

You can get an A* at A level with a B at AS - EG for an A* in A level Maths you need to average 90% in C3 and C4 and have 80% overall - if you do well enough in your 3rd A2 module you can go from 70% to 80% and satisfy the conditions for A*.
Original post by SeanFM
That sounds quite good. I think there are tools online to compare A-level results for schools nationally.

Don't get the impression that you just walk in to a school with good results and expect everything to happen for you, but they are good indicators to an extent.

You can get an A* at A level with a B at AS - EG for an A* in A level Maths you need to average 90% in C3 and C4 and have 80% overall - if you do well enough in your 3rd A2 module you can go from 70% to 80% and satisfy the conditions for A*.

Thanks- that's really interesting about the Maths average! I plan on doing A Level Maths- although I am aiming to get the A anyway, but it's reassuring that just missing it won't sabotage the A2.

Nah I don't expect to get good results just because I'm going to a good school! I get good results already and plan to work very hard at A level, the reason I'm asking is because the sixth form I am moving to has recently reintroduced A levels along IB (it was completely IB for 5 years, and offered both beforehand) and I wasn't sure whether they would teach A Level well after so many years being solely IB. I have to choose between IB vs A Level so I wondered if IB being more established in the school should be a factor.

The only info about the school's results are the AS grades, as they haven't had a cohort complete A Level yet :/
Original post by Nomes24
Thanks- that's really interesting about the Maths average! I plan on doing A Level Maths- although I am aiming to get the A anyway, but it's reassuring that just missing it won't sabotage the A2.

Nah I don't expect to get good results just because I'm going to a good school! I get good results already and plan to work very hard at A level, the reason I'm asking is because the sixth form I am moving to has recently reintroduced A levels along IB (it was completely IB for 5 years, and offered both beforehand) and I wasn't sure whether they would teach A Level well after so many years being solely IB. I have to choose between IB vs A Level so I wondered if IB being more established in the school should be a factor.

The only info about the school's results are the AS grades, as they haven't had a cohort complete A Level yet :/

Ah, I see. That's a good thing to think about - they'd be more experienced at teaching IB.

From what I've heard IB is a bit harder due to the range of subjects that you have to study, so that's something to think about. It can't be impossible if you want to study very hard though :smile:

So yeah, those are pretty good results anyway.

A 2014 A-level results table by school on the telegraph showed that 19 state schools in the country got more than 86% A*/A/B - not exactly the same as just AS-levels but still a good sign :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest