zeevengeance
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay so I've looked everywhere but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. hopefully someone here can help me (:

Basically, my cousin is thinking of transferring to the UK to do medicine. He is currently doing his second year of "college" at Mary Land University. So what is the procedure for him to move here and do medicine here?

He wants to move here to do it because it'll be quicker and it'll save him and his parents from being in debt forever.

I know he's got to do the UKCAT and BMAT, But is there anything else he would need to do?
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zeevengeance)
Okay so I've looked everywhere but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. hopefully someone here can help me (:

Basically, my cousin is thinking of transferring to the UK to do medicine. He is currently doing his second year of "college" at Mary Land University. So what is the procedure for him to move here and do medicine here?

He wants to move here to do it because it'll be quicker and it'll save him and his parents from being in debt forever.

I know he's got to do the UKCAT and BMAT, But is there anything else he would need to do?
I think he can just apply. He'll basically be applying with his high school grades, APs, SAT possibly and college grades.

You have to warn him that studying medicine as an international is not cheaper than doing US medical school. In addition, since he is in 2nd year, he is not going to save any time comparing to just writing the MCAT and applying to US schools.

Lastly, he will have more trouble getting residency and competitive specialties if he goes to the UK as US residencies prefer US medical school grads.

So all in all, he has no reason to study in the UK, it is not cheaper, it is more difficult to return to the US and its a lot more hassle. Better to get a US BSc and a US MD than to not graduate from your bachelor's degree and run over to the UK to do a MBBS.

Also, even if he is able to obtain EU citizenship, because he has not lived in the EU for the past 3 years he won't qualify for EU or UK tuition so he will be paying international fees. Also, getting in as an international is very difficult.
Tilds1997
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zeevengeance)
Only UK students get 'cheap' university fees. I'm pretty sure international students have to pay the full price. I looked online and apparently, depending on the university, the fee for one year at medical school can be as high as £36,600 :eek::eek: Also, I'm not sure if international students get student finance loans, so that would be something to check out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?