Can metals covalently bond with non-metals?

Watch this thread
itsConnor_
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

So, I was under the impression that metals and non-metals only bond ionically. However, Jssoussou mentioned the covalent bonding of Be and Cl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU9D...K5OnU2SwDrqGRc (near start of video)

Would someone care to enlighten me?

Many thanks.
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by itsConnor_)
Hello,

So, I was under the impression that metals and non-metals only bond ionically. However, Jssoussou mentioned the covalent bonding of Be and Cl...

Many thanks.
Yes they can. There is a massive field of organometallic chemistry for instance.

On a more mundane level anhydrous aluminium chloride is covalent at room temperature and above.
lerjj
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by itsConnor_)
Hello,

Many thanks.
There's a continuous spectrum from ionic to covalent, depending on how well separated the charge is (fully ionic=fully separated, fully covalent=completely shared).

So all you need is a metal that's got a lot polarising power, i.e. small and highly charged e.g. Be or Al and a non-metal that's not that electronegative i.e. large e.g. I.

I wonder what type of bonding BeI has...
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lerjj)
There's a continuous spectrum from ionic to covalent, depending on how well separated the charge is (fully ionic=fully separated, fully covalent=completely shared).

So all you need is a metal that's got a lot polarising power, i.e. small and highly charged e.g. Be or Al and a non-metal that's not that electronegative i.e. large e.g. I.

I wonder what type of bonding BeI has...
BeI2 would be covalent ...
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes, it is. It is possible, if the charge difference (electronegativity) between the non-metals and metals is not to high. Otherwise the attraction of one of the charge is so strong that electrons will be donate and accept by one of the atoms, and then its an ionic bond.
sehrish_akhtar
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
not all...just Aluminium Chloride, as it has some covalent character
Suts96
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
There is no such thing as a 100% ionic compound. Since polarisation of ions and ions are not perfect point charges, there is always a slight degree of covalent character.

Whilst some ionic compounds have such a difference in electronegativity that we can assume completely ionic bonding, this technically is not totally true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads