A Level Choices - are they suitable for entering into Medicine?

Watch
Samyak!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So next week is the application deadline and it's time to select what I would want to do for A level:/
So before even touching the topic of medicine, I am struggling to choose 4 AS levels out of my options and I wanna see what your opinions are on these subjects that I'm considering because these are the ones I would wanted to have taken anyway:
OCR Chemistry HO33
OCR Mathematics 7895
OCR Biology
Edexcel German 9GN01
Edexcel History 9H10
AQA Psychology 7181

At GCSE I am predicted an A* in all of these subjects above (except for Psychology bc that wasn't offered aha) and I think I am pretty sure I want to take Chemistry and Maths now.
In terms of career, I've always aspired to go into Psychiatry due to my fascination with my mind and having found out recently that to go down such a route can only happen after graduating Medicine, which demands Chem Bio Maths, I guess I'm pretty fortunate that these were the options that I was considering anyway.
I think I would be quite suited for Medicine but then the issue arises which "4th" subject to take: German, History or Psychology.
I absolutely LOVE languages - I've taken German and French for GCSE (for which I'm predicted A*s) and I have achieved a merit in the AQA short-course Spanish FCSE qualification, as an extra which our school offered. As well as this, I can fluently converse, read and write with high degrees of sophistication in English (of course), Hindi, Urdu and to a lesser extent Punjabi - I am planning to undertake Sanskrit GCSE as I am learning it right now and contemplating gaining qualifications in my mother tongues ----> So you can evidently see how I really want to take German and considering I've achieved full marks in all of my controlled assessments, my teacher has suggested my success at A level is guaranteed.
BUT I also LOVE history sooo much ahaha - my essay writing skills have ensured full marks in my history controlled assessments as well and my teacher is recommending me to take it as I could do it with ease. However, considering the new A level system now, History is linear: meaning if I were to drop it after AS, I won't get any UCAS points for it. As well as that, after reviewing the entire course, I really only want to do AS and not do A2 as the content is quite boring for that LOOL
And then ofc Psychology due to the fact I eventually want to go into mental health but I really wouldn't sacrifice German or History for it

As a general note, I have already got 4 GCSES: ICT; Core Science; Maths; Hinduism - in which I have all A*s and last year I took the entire Edexcel Philosophy and Ethics A-level (from the Hindu perspective) in which I successfully achieved an A grade overall, being only a mere 5 marks off an A* - so this extra qualification will count for my UCAS rights?
Anyway I guess now I just want your opinions on the subjects I should take; I think my combination will be Chem Maths German Bio but I've heard it's not absolutely imperative to take Maths or Bio and I wouldn't mind sacrificing either for History - but keeping in mind the fact I only want to do History for AS.
So yeah, sorry about the long post but I'm REALLY confused and I guess I just need a bit of advice to finalise these options.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History
waterrdrinkerr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Psychology is very different to psychiatry. I myself find the stuff my friends learn in psychology boring for the most part because it's not incredibly medical but I enjoy reading about psychiatry on the side. Definitely take math, chem and bio. History and German both seem like very good subjects but seeing as you're already bilingual, having an extra language won't help your application that much.

Good luck!
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Samyak!)
So next week is the application deadline and it's time to select what I would want to do for A level:/
So before even touching the topic of medicine, I am struggling to choose 4 AS levels out of my options and I wanna see what your opinions are on these subjects that I'm considering because these are the ones I would wanted to have taken anyway:
OCR Chemistry HO33
OCR Mathematics 7895
OCR Biology
Edexcel German 9GN01
Edexcel History 9H10
AQA Psychology 7181
Take Chemistry and Biology, The other two don't really matter so take whatever you will enjoy most and get the A in. Medicine does not demand maths. You don't need to take maths, what you do need is at least 3 As at A level.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
German because you can talk about historical stuff at A2

Languages are super useful.
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German :yep:
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just to point out thanks to GOVE:grumble: you are picking you A2's as you sit the exam after 2 years and AS's don't count towards A2 now for you. If that helps.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's no need to do Maths. If you want to do medicine but also like German and History, do Chem, Bio, History and German. You would be eligible to apply everywhere except Cambridge.

As for your early A-level, it will count in your favour but would not be part of your offer, so you would still need to achieve AAA (or higher, for a couple of places) in your current A-levels.
taysidefrog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you really love languages and history then are you sure you want to be a doctor? To me my wanting to be a doctor grew out of my love of science so the 3 sciences at A level was an obvious choice for me.
Why not choose a career in an area you are passionate about?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by taysidefrog)
If you really love languages and history then are you sure you want to be a doctor? To me my wanting to be a doctor grew out of my love of science so the 3 sciences at A level was an obvious choice for me.
I love languages but I'm doing sciences.

You can enjoy more than one thing.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by taysidefrog)
I am passionate about languages, so much so I went to university to study a degree in them. I loved pretty much every part of it. Unfortunately there aren't any jobs I can see myself doing with that degree, so now I'm studying Medicine. I'm really enjoying the subject matter as well, incidentally. I was always great at sciences and maths too - I just didn't have the same passion for them as I did for languages and literature etc.

I do get that you're just checking whether the OP is being pushed into Medicine/not thinking it through properly, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads