The Student Room Group

Is there are difference between these functions

F(x,y) = cot(x)*ln(y^2) and

G(x,y) = 2cot(x)*ln(y).

When I sub in (pi/4, 1-1) I get two different answers, but on wolfram alpha the graphs look the same.
Original post by Vorsah

G(x,y) = 2cot(x)*ln(y).

When I sub in (pi/4, 1-1) I get two different answers, but on wolfram alpha the graphs look the same.

you mean (pi/4,-1) right?

The problem is caused by the fact your functions are not well-defined: you need a specify a domain. E.g. if you only consider the positive reals as the domain then they are the same but if you include the negative reals then clearly ln(y2)2ln(y)ln(y^2) \ne 2ln(y) just try y=1y=-1 then ln((1)2)=ln(1)=0ln((-1)^2)=ln(1)=0 but 2ln(1)=2iπ2ln(-1)=2i\pi.

To solve this problem you need to view the log as a multivalued complex function: I suspect wolfram alpha views ln(x) as the principle logarithm in which case the rules of logs don't hold in C\mathbb{C} in general.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vorsah

G(x,y) = 2cot(x)*ln(y).

YEs they are th same because lny2=2lny\ln y^2=2\ln y
Reply 3
Original post by brianeverit
YEs they are th same because lny2=2lny\ln y^2=2\ln y

But as tombayes was pointing out, ln y isn't defined for y < 0 whereas ln(y^2) is (unless of course you're extending to the full complex plane, but the notation x and y is suggestive of real variable calciulus only).
Reply 4
Original post by tombayes
you mean (pi/4,-1) right?

The problem is caused by the fact your functions are not well-defined: you need a specify a domain. E.g. if you only consider the positive reals as the domain then they are the same but if you include the negative reals then clearly ln(y2)2ln(y)ln(y^2) \ne 2ln(y) just try y=1y=-1 then ln((1)2)=ln(1)=0ln((-1)^2)=ln(1)=0 but 2ln(1)=2iπ2ln(-1)=2i\pi.

To solve this problem you need to view the log as a multivalued complex function: I suspect wolfram alpha views ln(x) as the principle logarithm in which case the rules of logs don't hold in C\mathbb{C} in general.

Original post by davros
But as tombayes was pointing out, ln y isn't defined for y < 0 whereas ln(y^2) is (unless of course you're extending to the full complex plane, but the notation x and y is suggestive of real variable calciulus only).

Thanks

Can you help me with this Q:

Find the domain and range of f(x,y)= log(x^2-y)

Also I need help sketching functions of several variables such as: f(x,y) = -sqrt(x^2-y^2)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vorsah
Thanks

Can you help me with this Q:

Find the domain and range of f(x,y)= log(x^2-y)

Also I need help sketching functions of several variables such as: f(x,y) = -sqrt(x^2-y^2)

You can't find a domain it should be specified. You can find the maximal domain. Also by the range do you mean the image or codomain?

Also, for a contour plot start by finding the max/mins/saddles and the zero lines.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest