Respiration help!!!! Watch

Catherine0004
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
1.Why does the body measure carbon dioxide rather than oxygen levels?
I'd be really grateful if anyone could help, only needs to be short answer but i'm not entirely sure what the answer is. Thought it might be to do with hydrogen ions and pH but i'm getting a bit confused.
Thanks.
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Erm... Carbon dioxide has slight acidity, a build up would lower pH. Therefore too much carbon dioxide can poison cells.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep, when CO2 dissolves in the plasma it forms carbonic acid, which makes the blood slightly more acidic.
firestone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe it's got something to do with the oxygen dissociation curve as well...a high carbon dioxide concentration indicates active respiration, causing haemoglobin to release the oxygen it has bound with to the respiring tissues that require it. But similarly this is true for oxygen so...
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by firestone)
Maybe it's got something to do with the oxygen dissociation curve as well...a high carbon dioxide concentration indicates active respiration, causing haemoglobin to release the oxygen it has bound with to the respiring tissues that require it. But similarly this is true for oxygen so...
Haemoglobin saturation is not revelent... Receptors measure partial pressure or H+ conc of the blood - they can't measure oxygen saturation of haemoglobin...
firestone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know much about measuring haemoglobin saturation, except the Bohr effect (oh yeah that was the term) that I was referring to. According to my text book the blood is less saturated at a high partial pressure of carbon dioxide so this causes haemoglobin to release oxygen by combining with the hydrogen ions from the dissociation of carbonic acid.
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by firestone)
I don't know much about measuring haemoglobin saturation, except the Bohr effect (oh yeah that was the term) that I was referring to. According to my text book the blood is less saturated at a high partial pressure of carbon dioxide so this causes haemoglobin to release oxygen by combining with the hydrogen ions from the dissociation of carbonic acid.
Yes... What you're saying is true... but it isn't the reason why carbon dioxide levels are monitored... CO2 is measured to make sure that pH is maintained... Not very large changes in plasma pH can kill you...
mocko
Report 12 years ago
hello

The body can detect both changes in CO2 and also O2 concentrations. This is because oxygen drives the respiratory system of a person with COPD. (The person with COPD example is not relevant to your question). The chemoreceptors detect slight changes in pH unlike oxygen concentration where they have to be significantly lower to cause a reaction. The pH of blood is 7.35-7.45 a very narrowed range and this is why CO2 concentration will drive the respiratory system. Oh yes and as stated before... CO2 react with carbonic anhydrase to produce carbonic acid and H+ ions. H+ concentration determines pH...

hope this helps
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)
Yes... What you're saying is true... but it isn't the reason why carbon dioxide levels are monitored... CO2 is measured to make sure that pH is maintained... Not very large changes in plasma pH can kill you...
you mean large changes in plasma pH CAN kill you ...?
fundamentally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Decota)
you mean large changes in plasma pH CAN kill you ...?
Acidosis can kill you rapidly.

It is considered to exist when the pH drops below 7.35 and is generally fatal at below 7.1 That is why there are renal and respiratory mechanisms to regulate the acid-base balance of blood. In addition, there are buffers in the blood that help to smooth out fluctuations in pH.

And the endocrine system plays a role as well, through aldosterone secretion.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic312.htm
RyanY
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh chemoreceptors monitor the pH level of the blood and co2 forms carbonic acid in plasma, which when detected flows on a homeostatic pathway to avoid acidic blood. Remember haemoglobin is a natural buffer...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise