The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

How to get to Cardiff Uni by train from Swindon?

I really like Cardiff Uni and would like to go there (I got an offer!), but I'm not sure about what train to take from Swindon, and what buses to take to get to the Uni from the train station. My main destination is the Biomedical science building.
Also, I've only ever been on a train once and that was when I was really young so this whole commuting thing is a pretty new experience so I'm a bit nervous, which is why I want to be really prepared beforehand.
I've tried searching online but I seem to get contradicting information, some say it would take 1 hr 40 mins to get there whilst others say it's only 1 hr...

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CharlotteFaye
I really like Cardiff Uni and would like to go there (I got an offer!), but I'm not sure about what train to take from Swindon, and what buses to take to get to the Uni from the train station. My main destination is the Biomedical science building.
Also, I've only ever been on a train once and that was when I was really young so this whole commuting thing is a pretty new experience so I'm a bit nervous, which is why I want to be really prepared beforehand.
I've tried searching online but I seem to get contradicting information, some say it would take 1 hr 40 mins to get there whilst others say it's only 1 hr...

The Train Line says that it is about 1 hour by train. I think the Swansea-London train stops at Swindon both ways so you may be able to catch that one. The Uni is about 20 minutes walk away from Cardiff Central but I guess that a local train would run from Central to Queen Street or Cathays which are much closer. The bus station is literally right out side of Cardiff Central station so you will see it as you walk out. You could go to the Uni site itself for more specific directions as they would show which bus or train or taxi that you would need.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
So easy to get to Cardiff Uni from Swindon. There's a train from there to Cardiff Central which takes just over an hour and stops only one or twice. From Cardiff Central you change and get the train to Cathays which takes like 5 minutes. Don't worry about getting here at all, I live 4 and a half hours away and didn't let it put me off haha!!
I'm from Swindon too but currently doing foundation in Bournemouth. I'm going for Architecture next year and the main reason of choosing is probably because of the distance, just so convenient ! The good thing is that most of the trains to Cardiff actually terminate at Cardiff central so there's less concern of ending up in Swansea etc. From google map, from Cardiff central to Cathays campus is actually isn't too far so I was going to attempt to walk there hahah
Original post by CharlotteFaye

there 2 trains per hour from Swindon to Cardiff. one ceases at Cardiff the other goes to Swansea. Cardiff is the third stop after Bristol parkway and Newport. Cardiff uni is an easy walk. you walk pass the millennium stadium then turn right. follow the road around the castle then you will see 3 large white buildings, the road between the first 2 takes to the uni. alternately you can get the bus from the bus station. it is only a couple of stops

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending