The Student Room Group

I would rather be envied by many than admired by a few.

My Grandfather was a man to be admired. I am a man to be envied. The distinction between the two can be massive or minute, depending on who you ask. To be truly worthy of admiration, one needs to exhibit either remarkable character or possess a rare talent of extraordinary benefit to society. Earning mass admiration is exceptionally difficult for most and impossible for some. Envy on the other hand, is for sale. It usually doesn’t come cheap, but it can be bought. I seek that which I am able to obtain. Is my ambition flawed, or is it my incentive?

The society in which I am engaged has grown massive to the point of anonymity. The man who sells me groceries knows nothing about me. The woman who tailors my clothes barely knows my name. My doctor does not know if I am trustworthy or dishonest. For the majority of my daily interactions, the degree of respect in which I can expect to be treated, is unaffected by the quality of my character. What is of profound importance, is the image I portray. The validation I receive, and the privilege I enjoy is attributed to that image I maintain. So that is what I do.

My persona is a designer one, just like my apparel. I adhere to the fashion principle of prestige. My education did not endow me with knowledge, it provided me credentials. My occupation is a title which proclaims me to be of superior intellect and class. My choice of vehicle is not a means of transportation, it is an indication of status. My home is a statement that says “access granted”, and the groups to which I am a member, are strictly exclusive.

Social media is my fountain head from which I am able to spew an incessant barrage of narcissistic drivel. Upon this canvas, self indulgent pictures and status updates become my palate. Arm extended to the precise angle, quality of lighting accounted for, presentation of my best features through calculated orientation, obtaining the most ideal perspective is the perfection of the “selfie”. Mine are always documented at exotic locations, desirable situations, and flattering representations. Like a graffiti artist compelled to seek recognition, my digital billboard states, “I was there”. The only difference is my acts of vandalism are less discreet and more obscene. My art is now exhibited to the accommodating masses who reward me with the validation in the form of comments and likes.

My Grandfather would be appalled. If he were still alive I would tell him that his admirable character is the product of his generations’s values, and my enviable image is a product of mine.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It has been a while, so welcome back. That's a strong returning post, but I think you will find the TSR is not as intellectual as it once was. Perhaps that is why you left in the first place. Cheers,
Reply 2
who cares... no one envies you and no one admires you
Who the hell are you?
Original post by luke829
who cares... no one envies you and no one admires you

/thread
Original post by ckingalt
My Grandfather was a man to be admired. I am a man to be envied. The distinction between the two can be massive or minute, depending on who you ask. To be truly worthy of admiration, one needs to exhibit either remarkable character or possess a rare talent of extraordinary benefit to society. Earning mass admiration is exceptionally difficult for most and impossible for some. Envy on the other hand, is for sale. It usually doesn’t come cheap, but it can be bought. I seek that which I am able to obtain. Is my ambition flawed, or is it my incentive?

The society in which I am engaged has grown massive to the point of anonymity. The man who sells me groceries knows nothing about me. The woman who tailors my clothes barely knows my name. My doctor does not know if I am trustworthy or dishonest. For the majority of my daily interactions, the degree of respect in which I can expect to be treated, is unaffected by the quality of my character. What is of profound importance, is the image I portray. The validation I receive, and the privilege I enjoy is attributed to that image I maintain. So that is what I do.

My persona is a designer one, just like my apparel. I adhere to the fashion principle of prestige. My education did not endow me with knowledge, it provided me credentials. My occupation is a title which proclaims me to be of superior intellect and class. My choice of vehicle is not a means of transportation, it is an indication of status. My home is a statement that says “access granted”, and the groups to which I am a member, are strictly exclusive.

Social media is my fountain head from which I am able to spew an incessant barrage of narcissistic drivel. Upon this canvas, self indulgent pictures and status updates become my palate. Arm extended to the precise angle, quality of lighting accounted for, presentation of my best features through calculated orientation, obtaining the most ideal perspective is the perfection of the “selfie”. Mine are always documented at exotic locations, desirable situations, and flattering representations. Like a graffiti artist compelled to seek recognition, my digital billboard states, “I was there”. The only difference is my acts of vandalism are less discreet and more obscene. My art is now exhibited to the accommodating masses who reward me with the validation in the form of comments and likes.

My Grandfather would be appalled. If he were still alive I would tell him that his admirable character is the product of his generations’s values, and my enviable image is a product of mine.

thought provoking post

welcome back apparently too...question is what can be done...

people judge facebook profiles etc.. so they cant be ignored either
Reply 6
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Who the hell are you?

That's rude.:angry:
Reply 7
Well, you're what's called a 'self egoistic prick'.
Its all about context. if you are a lonely person or one who could be popular but cravs attention it would rather you be enived by many as it gave you a self esteem boost, since admired by a few would seem like almost useless if you are lonley.
Reply 9
Envy is a negative state. People who envy you might just wish to have what you have but on the very negative side might actually wish you and seek to cause you harm.

People who admire you do not wish you harm, it is a more positive state. Those who admire you may or may not wish to have what you have but they do not bear you any ill will.

Take something like dress sense and style. Somebody who envies you might hope you gain 100lb and all your hair falls out and you get covered in unsightly boils. Somebody who admires your sense of style might look forward to seeing what you wear next.

Why is it better to generate negative feelings in others rather than positive?
Original post by Folion
Envy is a negative state. People who envy you might just wish to have what you have but on the very negative side might actually wish you and seek to cause you harm.

People who admire you do not wish you harm, it is a more positive state. Those who admire you may or may not wish to have what you have but they do not bear you any ill will.

Take something like dress sense and style. Somebody who envies you might hope you gain 100lb and all your hair falls out and you get covered in unsightly boils. Somebody who admires your sense of style might look forward to seeing what you wear next.

Why is it better to generate negative feelings in others rather than positive?

You can also fall somewhere inbetween or you can be a little annoyed at someone having it easy whilst you struggle so they are more wishing they had it like you did so easily whilst they shouldnt struggle so you wish they could experience things like you did and also without knowing it was short term to fall back on.
Reply 11
Original post by drbluebox
You can also fall somewhere inbetween or you can be a little annoyed at someone having it easy whilst you struggle so they are more wishing they had it like you did so easily whilst they shouldnt struggle so you wish they could experience things like you did and also without knowing it was short term to fall back on.

Walk a mile in the other man's shoes you mean?

One thing I've learned over the years is never to envy the other person as you never know what is happening under their façade. How many times have we read news articles where somebody rich/famous/talented/beautiful has committed suicide or gone bankrupt or something?
Original post by Folion
Walk a mile in the other man's shoes you mean?

One thing I've learned over the years is never to envy the other person as you never know what is happening under their façade. How many times have we read news articles where somebody rich/famous/talented/beautiful has committed suicide or gone bankrupt or something?

Pretty much but without the comfort of knowing its temporary such as when celebrities "sleep rough" for a night or so and have camera crews and bodyguards around them and can leave at any time and know they have money, they really arent experiencing it but use it as a ego boost
Original post by ckingalt

This is why we need to bring back thumbs down on TSR
Waxing lyrical on the selfie-gen for the unaware, but OP, it made me think, to be fair. (Hey I can rhyme! while I eat a Dime [bar] :awesome:)

OP it's a product of the modern state, in the absence of an enforced hierarchy e.g. feudalism and the decline and controversy of organised religion in the West, media is the new God
(edited 9 years ago)
OP I also hope that the pretence was a literary device not genuine, if so kudos for the meta-irony
Its all about context. if you are a lonely person or one who could be popular but cravs attention it would rather you be enived by many as it gave you a self esteem boost, since admired by a few would seem like almost useless if you are lonley.

if you have a few who care about you whether for good or bad reasons you're not truly lonely
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
if you have a few who care about you whether for good or bad reasons you're not truly lonely

My parents love me however it can come across as pity or make me feel more lonely as it seems they think I cant take care of myself, my brother likes to take charge of me and demand I do things such as go drinking when I dont want to and chat to women I find unnattractive just to not end up alone.

That and I am mildly autistic so people sometimes treat me like I am of a extreme low iq and cant even do basic tasks like wash myself thinking they are caring for me.
My parents love me however it can come across as pity or make me feel more lonely as it seems they think I cant take care of myself, my brother likes to take charge of me and demand I do things such as go drinking when I dont want to and chat to women I find unnattractive just to not end up alone.

That and I am mildly autistic so people sometimes treat me like I am of a extreme low iq and cant even do basic tasks like wash myself thinking they are caring for me.

I'm really sorry to hear that. But would you prefer to be lonely? Because there is a middle ground, where you tell them you appreciate their concern but don't need to be treated like a child.
Reply 19
Original post by falseprofit
It has been a while, so welcome back. That's a strong returning post, but I think you will find the TSR is not as intellectual as it once was. Perhaps that is why you left in the first place. Cheers,

Thanks, but I wouldn't say I'm back. I just got a little bored and decided to bloviate a little.

Quick Reply

Latest