The Student Room Group

Rotherham: politicians and police abused girls

A police officer and two councillors have been accused of having sex with underage girls in Rotherham, the South Yorkshire town at the centre of a child sex abuse scandal which lasted 16 years.

These claims have emerged on the day that long awaited findings from an independent inspection of the local authority are due to be published. The report is expected to strongly criticise the council, which risks being stripped of its powers.

Complaints against the two Rotherham councillors are understood to have been sent to the National Crime Agency, which is investigating child-sex crimes in the town, according to The Times. One of the councillors is still serving, it is understood.

Allegations against the police officer, who is also said to have regularly passed information to abusers targeting vulnerable children for sex, have separately been referred to the police watchdog by the South Yorkshire force.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11388773/Police-officer-accused-of-having-sex-with-underage-girls-in-Rotherham.html

Scroll to see replies

Be interesting to see if those get held up?
(edited 9 years ago)
Who actually votes for these people.............. it beggars belief. If they are raping young girls they are passing them off to Mohammedans and flooding your borders with people who want to kill you.

England, land of the docile.
Reply 3
THE HOME Secretary has been accused of failing to prioritise Rotherham’s abuse victims as it emerges Theresa May still has not concluded a Whitehall search for missing evidence.

Last September Mrs May was forced to the House of Commons to set out the Government’s response to the horrific and widespread child sex abuse seen in Rotherham.

The Home Office said it would carry out its own internal review after it emerged evidence sent to it in 2002 had gone missing, including a draft report which could have exposed the abuse taking place in the Yorkshire town and saved hundreds of children.

It has now emerged the charity brought in to oversee that review has still not being asked to carry out its work.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/local-stories/home-secretary-accused-of-failing-to-prioritise-rotherham-victims-1-7083260
Reply 4
Supposedly little has actuslly changed in Rotherham. Most of the rape is still on going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
South Yorkshire Police cover themselves in glory once more.
Original post by JohnCrichton89
Who actually votes for these people.............. it beggars belief.

I think it's just the nature of governmental power. You need a certain kind of narrow-mindedness to be both determined enough to get elected, yet uninteresting enough to want to be elected. What kind of normal person thinks 'I know what, I'll run for the local council'?

If you think if the 60 million people in the country, and how many of them are witty, charismatic, skilled - doctors, lawyers, political satirists etc, then think of the people in charge of our country, you just think really? This is what our system came up with?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Octohedral
I think it's just the nature of governmental power. You need a certain kind of narrow-mindedness to be both determined enough to get elected, yet uninteresting enough to want to be elected. What kind of normal person thinks 'I know what, I'll run for the local council'?

If you think if the 60 million people in the country, and how many of them are witty, charismatic, skilled - doctors, lawyers, political satirists etc, then think of the people in charge of our country, you just think really? This is what our system came up with?

True, actual social service providers realise the inadequate nature of our bureaucratic system and are realistic in their attempts at making a difference. It is only the egotistical self appointed elitist among us that are pretentious enough to think they can do something from that position, they couldn't possibly believe in making a difference without reform that leads to personal responsibility for decision makers.

I would guess they just see a safe well paying job for snake oil salesmen.
Reply 8
Rotherham Council's cabinet is to resign in the wake of a damning report which found it was "not fit for purpose" after a child abuse scandal.

Louise Casey's report found a culture of bullying, sexism, suppression and misplaced "political correctness".

The council also has a "deep-rooted" culture of cover-ups and silencing whistleblowers, she said.

Ms Casey was asked by Communities Secretary Eric Pickles to inspect the council.

The report found the child sexual exploitation (CSE) team was poorly directed, suffered from excessive case loads, and did not share information between agencies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31130750
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
This story is sick. The fact that the local government haven't been removed immediately sickens me.
I's also strange not to hear feminists on that case.

About time they fell on their swords

I just hope some prosecutions are now being brought into :palace: place for some of these people
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Josb
This story is sick. The fact that the local government haven't been removed immediately sickens me.

It's done by a 'minority' group in the UK so it confuses some of them for some odd reason
Reply 12
Original post by PopaPork
About time they fell on their swords

I just hope some prosecutions are now being brought into palace for some of these people

Unfortunate typo there.
Original post by n00
Unfortunate typo there.

type in haste and all that jazz:biggrin:
Reply 14
The labour party are a disgrace the report has basically confirmed the Labour council deliberately covered up muslim sex abuse of thousands of underage girls & they knew what was going on with 2 councillors accused of abusing the victims as well! the big question we need to ask is what did the Labour party outside of the council know?

What did the local Labour MP's know? what did the Labour leadership know- the shadow cabinet, the Labour PM's at the time? what did Ed Miliband know. It seems unlikely none of them knew anything whatsoever particularly the local MP's
If you vote Labour you have a lot to answer for
Original post by Josb

Um Eric Pickles has taken Rotherham council over and is running it out of Whitehall
Reply 17
why would anyone want to live up north
Reply 19

Inspectors have concluded that RMBC goes to some lengths to cover up information, and silence whistle-blowers. It has created an unhealthy climate where people fear to speak out because they have seen the consequences of doing so for others.

“I’m just worried about reprisals of a personal nature.” A Councillor

“We’ve all been made aware of the (whistleblowing) procedure, but no-one dares ever use it, because if they did, eventually it would come back to bite them in the backside and they would be bullied out of the organisation”. A whistle-blower

Cover up in RMBC needs to be looked at within the culture of a Council that, as has already been described, does not welcome challenge and chooses instead to ‘shoot the messenger’ rather than learn from mistakes that have been made. Inspectors found that RMBC, when faced with information about wrong doing or poor practice often seeks to stamp on that information and silence those who bring forward their concerns. Inspectors found that the Council’s concern with its reputation leads it to cover up information which it would prefer not to be in the public domain.
:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending