Residency - how it affects your student finance for EU students (now closed)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Student Money Week 2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Are you an EU student, with questions about how where you live might affect your student finance? Post your questions here.

SFE Advisor for this Q&A

Jenna Haynes Watson, Pre Assessment Operations Manager

Jenna is a Pre Assessment Operations Manager for SFE. She manages the people and processes of several of SFE’s Evidence Validation and Processing teams.
tosocarolina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good morning. I'm an Italian student and I received a conditional offer from the University of Oxford. As an EU student, I'm eligible for the tuition fee but not for the living costs support. In these days I've tried to download the right form for me from the website www.gov.uk but I haven't found the 2015-2016 form. Perhaps it hasn't been released yet?

Moreover, would you mind explaining in a clear, easy and detailed way all the steps I have to take if I want to ask for the tuition fee? I haven't understood well if I need to send a form, or I have to declare my household income (if I am not eligible for the living costs support why do they need to know it?).
It would be very kind of you to clarify all my doubts.
Thanks beforehand.
Carolina
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you have an EU passport but have lived outside the EU for several years, are you still eligible for the tuition fee loan?
viv14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

I am currently studying A level and have been in uk for 4 years.

I am living with my sister who is working in UK and most of the time I live in school as I am a full time boarder.
I am portuguese and so as my mother and my sister.

As I m under 25, I will need to provide information regarding my parents resident.

My parents (mum and dad) currently living in HongKong and for so for the last 3years.

I would like to ask as my parents currently not living within EU, will this have an affect ob my application for the student finance ?

Thank you in advance
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shooks)
In the New Year, The Money Charity's student finance expert is joining us to tackle your money questions.

So, what do you want to know? Maybe you're looking for tips on budgeting, need more information on credit cards and loans, or just want to know how to handle your bills.

Whatever your question, add it below. In the New Year The Money Charity's expert will answer as many of them as possible.
If I move outside the EU and didn't inform the SLC or HMRC, how would they know where to even look to try and get money from me?
cocotte
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, as a French/Australian student having applied to UK universities for entry 2015, but only moved to Europe since Sept 2014 (lived in the UK as a child though) can I still ask for the same student loans as other UK/european students? i.e. the ones that allow you to pay back without interest only once you start earning a certain salary?
carolinekalemba
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would like to ask id you know when application for tuttion fee loan starts?
hamiltoncolin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What is this forum about exactly?
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tosocarolina)
Good morning. I'm an Italian student and I received a conditional offer from the University of Oxford. As an EU student, I'm eligible for the tuition fee but not for the living costs support. In these days I've tried to download the right form for me from the website www.gov.uk but I haven't found the 2015-2016 form. Perhaps it hasn't been released yet?

Moreover, would you mind explaining in a clear, easy and detailed way all the steps I have to take if I want to ask for the tuition fee? I haven't understood well if I need to send a form, or I have to declare my household income (if I am not eligible for the living costs support why do they need to know it?).
It would be very kind of you to clarify all my doubts.
Thanks beforehand.
Carolina
Good evening Carolina,

You will need to fill in a paper application form, which will be available from spring 2015. You should apply as early as possible to make sure your Tuition Fee Loan is ready for the start of your course. This means you might be applying before you have a confirmed place, but you can change your course details later if you accept a place on a different course.
Also for further advice or guidance you can refer to the application guidance notes which will be available to download when the form is available in early spring.
You will not be required to declare your household income as the Tuition Fee Loan is non means tested.

Thanks Jenna
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
If you have an EU passport but have lived outside the EU for several years, are you still eligible for the tuition fee loan?
Hi,

Thanks for your question,
As you have described you have had a break in your residency which means you have lived outside of the EU/EEA within the last 3 years prior to the start of your course. A requirement for financial support is that you can satisfy the residency requirements and with the information you have provided you would not be eligible for financial support.

For further information you can visit www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps

Thanks
Jenna
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by viv14)
Hello,

I am currently studying A level and have been in uk for 4 years.

I am living with my sister who is working in UK and most of the time I live in school as I am a full time boarder.
I am portuguese and so as my mother and my sister.

As I m under 25, I will need to provide information regarding my parents resident.

My parents (mum and dad) currently living in HongKong and for so for the last 3years.

I would like to ask as my parents currently not living within EU, will this have an affect ob my application for the student finance ?

Thank you in advance
Hi,

Due to the information that you have provided above there are several factors we would need to review and consider to enable us to provide you with the correct answer regarding financial support.
Firstly we would need to determine your residency status and nationality. In order to do this we produce a wide range of resources to help you through your student finance journey.
For up to date student finance information all year round visit our dedicated zone www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance or www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps

Thanks
Jenna
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
If I move outside the EU and didn't inform the SLC or HMRC, how would they know where to even look to try and get money from me?
Hi,

Thank you for your question,

This forum is specifically related to residency and your question may be better placed on the Friday 13th February session -Moving overseas - How do you repay your loan.

Thanks
Jenna
viv14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jenna Haynes Watson)
Hi,

Due to the information that you have provided above there are several factors we would need to review and consider to enable us to provide you with the correct answer regarding financial support.
Firstly we would need to determine your residency status and nationality. In order to do this we produce a wide range of resources to help you through your student finance journey.
For up to date student finance information all year round visit our dedicated zone www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance or www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps

Thanks
Jenna
Hello jenna,

Thanks for your reply

As you have mention above that will need to determine residency status.

I would like to ask specifically what residency status mean ?

I have move to UK and live with my sister in 2010. Prior to this I was living with my parents in Hong Kong.
And my nationality is portuguese.

Please may I ask whether I am entitle to apply for student finance ?
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cocotte)
Hi, as a French/Australian student having applied to UK universities for entry 2015, but only moved to Europe since Sept 2014 (lived in the UK as a child though) can I still ask for the same student loans as other UK/european students? i.e. the ones that allow you to pay back without interest only once you start earning a certain salary?
Hi,

With the information that you have provided the product you have described is a Tuition Fee Loan which is available if you are an EU national (or the family of an EU national) and have been living in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for at least three years before the start of your course.

With the information you have provided it does not appear that you meet the residency requirements, for further guidance / information please visit www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps

Thanks
Jenna
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carolinekalemba)
I would like to ask id you know when application for tuttion fee loan starts?
Hi,

If you are applying for Student Finance England support and are a full time student you can apply online now at www.gov.uk.

If you are an EU National (or the family of an EU national) and have been living in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for at least three years before the start of your course you can apply in early spring.

Thanks
Jenna
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hamiltoncolin)
What is this forum about exactly?
Hi,

This forum is a Q & A session in support of National Student Money Week and is to offer support and guidance to students applying for financial support. This session is specifically surrounding residency for EU students.

Thanks
Jenna
eightfoldv
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

I have been living in the UK since July 2008 and have completed all of my qualifications here. I currently still don't have a UK passport.

I have had a brief look at the Student Finance application for the 15/16 higher education courses and since I'm not considered as a UK National, I am being asked for when my 'settled' status was issued.

I am not entirely sure what this means, since I never had any restrictions as to how long I can stay in the UK, since I come from Poland. Did I achieve the 'settled' status automatically after a certain number of years?

Will I still be eligible for the Maintenance Loan/Grant?

I would be incredibly grateful for your help.
Thanks,
Ewa
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Viv14,

Your very welcome,

As you have stated you are an EU National and if you can provide original evidence to prove that you have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course for other reasons than receiving full time education then you would be entitled to apply for student finance.

Thanks
Jenna
Jenna Haynes Watson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eightfoldv)
Hi!

I have been living in the UK since July 2008 and have completed all of my qualifications here. I currently still don't have a UK passport.

I have had a brief look at the Student Finance application for the 15/16 higher education courses and since I'm not considered as a UK National, I am being asked for when my 'settled' status was issued.

I am not entirely sure what this means, since I never had any restrictions as to how long I can stay in the UK, since I come from Poland. Did I achieve the 'settled' status automatically after a certain number of years?

Will I still be eligible for the Maintenance Loan/Grant?

I would be incredibly grateful for your help.
Thanks,
Ewa
Hi,

With the details you have provided because you have confirmed that you are an EU National and have ordinary being a resident in the UK for 3 years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course for reasons other than receiving full time education you may be eligible for a Student Finance England higher education support.
You would have to provide original evidence to prove your residency for further guidance on evidence requirements, maintenance loans and grants please visit www.gov.uk

As you are an EU National and applying for Student Finance England funding you would not be required to prove settled status,

Thanks
Jenna
Sarah SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks Jenna.

Join us again tomorrow for more live Q&As!

And for more information including a range of helpful tools and guidance visit our dedicated student finance zone.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (427)
48.36%

Watched Threads