Are you eligible for student finance? (now closed)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Student Money Week 2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you qualify for student finance? Join our live webchat to find out more.

SFE Advisor for this Q&A

Sally Gallagher, Team Manager

Sally has been an SFE Team Manager for nearly two years. Before that she was a Customer Advisor dealing with complex queries and complaints.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would a British citizen who lives abroad be eligible for student finance?
ale192
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm an Italian citizen, I've never lived in the UK, but I have been accepted for an undergraduate degree there starting this September. My doubts regard the fact that I've just finished a 3 year undergraduate degree here in Italy, completely self-funded. Is there any chance I could qualify for a loan to help me with British tuition?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
LStM
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I am applying for Diagnostic Radiography, which as I understand has NHS funding and some funding from student finance in the form of a reduced maintenance loan. I was wondering whether the fact I already have a degree in Anthropology would impact my funding?

Thanks.
jadeperry123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How do I know if I'm eligible for student finance and where do i find the information for it?
ThomasSy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I read through the 10 requirements, that entitle one to some level and amount of Student Support (on ukcisa.org.uk).
I'm German, 22 years old, born and raised in Germany. My parents are German, they've been born and raised here, too.
I would suppose, that I automatically have the status 'settled' in the UK and that I'm ordinarily resident in England, but I'm not sure (you couldn't tell me now, could you?).
My second question would be: The more requirements I meet, the higher the amount of Student Support is (?).
E.g. the tuition fee for the study course I applied to amounts to 9000₤ and I won't receive the full 9000 ₤ unless I meet all 10 requirements?
Cause I'm neither a child of a Swiss national(7), nor from a Turkish worker(8).
Nerdz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm a British national, but I have been living in France for the past 10 years, and I am applying to a scottish university but have never lived in Scotland. I know that I can't get a maintenance loan. But this document (http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf) states that I should apply to the relevant funding body where I lived before leaving the UK for help with living costs. I've looked on the city's website and they don't mention any student funds. Is there really no way I can have any financial support during the 4 years of my degree?
Vikki Robinson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LStM)
Hi,

I am applying for Diagnostic Radiography, which as I understand has NHS funding and some funding from student finance in the form of a reduced maintenance loan. I was wondering whether the fact I already have a degree in Anthropology would impact my funding?

Thanks.

Hi,

As NHS courses are classed as exception courses, the fact you already have a degree in Anthropology would not be taken into consideration. You will be able to apply to student finance for a reduced rate maintenance loan online with the 15/16 application and the NHS would provide other funding if you qualify for their funding.

Hope this helps

Vikki
Nicola Henderson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jadeperry123)
How do I know if I'm eligible for student finance and where do i find the information for it?
Hi, To get student finance you have to meet certain conditions, you have to be personally eligible and your course /university or college have to be eligible for public funding.To be personally eligible for student finance you have to meet certain criteria on nationality and residency, age and previous study.. You can find out more about how your nationality and residency affects the student finance you can get at www.gov.uk/studentfinance ..or visit eligibility section on the student room -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=5463-Do-I-qualify-for-student-finance-2015-16
Hope this helps, Nicola.
Sally Gallagher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Would a British citizen who lives abroad be eligible for student finance?
Hi,

A British Citizen who has been living abroad can potentially apply for funding to study at a UK university or college in certain circumstances. Please provide a little bit more information about where you have been living and why and also whether you have lived in the UK previously so that I can give you a more detailed answer.

Thanks

Sally
Vikki Robinson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ale192)
Hi, I'm an Italian citizen, I've never lived in the UK, but I have been accepted for an undergraduate degree there starting this September. My doubts regard the fact that I've just finished a 3 year undergraduate degree here in Italy, completely self-funded. Is there any chance I could qualify for a loan to help me with British tuition?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

If your previous study in Italy resulted in a undergraduate qualification then you would not be eligible for funding to complete a second degree. All funding is based on the first degree only, even if that was self funded.

Hope this helps

Vikki
Sally Gallagher
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nerdz)
I'm a British national, but I have been living in France for the past 10 years, and I am applying to a scottish university but have never lived in Scotland. I know that I can't get a maintenance loan. But this document (http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf) states that I should apply to the relevant funding body where I lived before leaving the UK for help with living costs. I've looked on the city's website and they don't mention any student funds. Is there really no way I can have any financial support during the 4 years of my degree?
Hi,

Could you provide us with a little more detail about your situation. You say you are a British National, could you advise whether you have lived within the UK prior to moving to France and if so was this Scotland or England?

Thanks

Sally
Vikki Robinson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ThomasSy)
I read through the 10 requirements, that entitle one to some level and amount of Student Support (on ukcisa.org.uk).
I'm German, 22 years old, born and raised in Germany. My parents are German, they've been born and raised here, too.
I would suppose, that I automatically have the status 'settled' in the UK and that I'm ordinarily resident in England, but I'm not sure (you couldn't tell me now, could you?).
My second question would be: The more requirements I meet, the higher the amount of Student Support is (?).
E.g. the tuition fee for the study course I applied to amounts to 9000₤ and I won't receive the full 9000 ₤ unless I meet all 10 requirements?
Cause I'm neither a child of a Swiss national(7), nor from a Turkish worker(8).
Hi,

As you are an EU national you would be able to apply for EU funding, this means we would be able to give you a loan to cover the costs of your tuition fees, based on the fact you have no previous study at University level. You will also need to complete a residency form listing the addresses you have lived in for the 3 years prior to the start of your course, as long as all of the address history shows you living in EU then you will be eligible for EU funding.
In regards to your second question, if you are approved for funding then we will be able to cover the tuition costs up to £9000 with a tuition fee loan at University.
You will also need to be living in England (if studying within England) before the first day of your academic year, so if you start in September 2015 then your academic years starts 01.09.15

Hope this helps

Vikki
Nerdz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sally Gallagher)
Hi,

Could you provide us with a little more detail about your situation. You say you are a British National, could you advise whether you have lived within the UK prior to moving to France and if so was this Scotland or England?

Thanks

Sally
Sure, I lived in Coventry, England. So I have the British nationality but I've been living in France for the past 10 years.
Sally Gallagher
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nerdz)
Sure, I lived in Coventry, England. So I have the British nationality but I've been living in France for the past 10 years.
Hi,

As you are a UK national that was originally resident in the UK and then you moved to France you may be eligible for some support. In order to get full support from Student Finance England you would need to be returning to be resident in England prior to the start date of your course. As you are going to be studying and resident in Scotland then you would not be eligible for funding from Student Finance England. However, you could apply for tuition fee loan support as an EU student but you would need to apply to SAAS for this.

I would recommend that you contact SAAS directly for some advice on what funding you may be eligible for from them.

However, if you do choose to study at a university or college in England then put in an application for funding to Student Finance England.

Hope this helps

Sally
Vikki Robinson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For our full range of resources, including quick guides and films, visit our dedicated student finance zone: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance
Vikki Robinson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We have a series of short animations that break down the student finance process into three easy steps. You can watch them at youtube.com/SFEFILM
Vikki Robinson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for important dates, application tips and frequently asked questions

ale192
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vikki Robinson)
Hi,

If your previous study in Italy resulted in a undergraduate qualification then you would not be eligible for funding to complete a second degree. All funding is based on the first degree only, even if that was self funded.

Hope this helps

Vikki
Thanks for your answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laura SFE
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for your questions.

If you're thinking about going to university or college this year, read our new interactive quick start guides.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads