How previous study affects you (now closed)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Student Money Week 2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Have you studied at uni or college before? Find out about how this can affect the student finance you can get.

Advisor for this Q&A

Nicolette Burns, Student Advisor

Nicolette is a Student Advisor at the University of Brighton.

James Quinn

James is a Student Finance Advice Officer at the University of Portsmouth. He’s the Vice Chair of the National Association of Student Money Advisers

Kiren Emmerson

Kiren is an adviser for the Student Money, Advice and Rights Team at the University of East London. He has extensive experience in careers and pre-entry guidance for students.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you study for 2 years of a degree and then change your mind, how much funding can you get towards a new degree?
LStM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
I already have a degree in Anthropology. I am now applying for a NHS funded degree in Diagnostic Radiography, is my previous degree going to effect my funding?

Thanks.
gingerchicken
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have been offered a place on a nursing course this September and am hoping to apply for a maintenance loan to supplement my bursary. I have had previous funding for an undergraduate degree that I wasn't able to complete due to ill health . Will this affect my eligibility for a reduced maintenance loan for my nursing degree ?

Thanks
Rory9090
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi, thinking of switching courses from geology to biology, just not sure what my options are with student finance, will i be covered for my final year in my new course? any info would be ace, cheers!

Rory
Nicolette Burns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rory9090)
hi, thinking of switching courses from geology to biology, just not sure what my options are with student finance, will i be covered for my final year in my new course? any info would be ace, cheers!

Rory
Hi Rory

I'll assume that you have studied one year of geology, and intend to transfer to year 1 of biology. If you have never studied at higher education level before, then you can use the one extra year of funding to allow you to study on the new course.
Briefly, Student Finance England will allow a student enoug loan to study on one course, whatever it's ordinary length, plus they may access one additional year of funding to study their ordinary undergraduate course if necessary. If you have studied more than one year of your course, then you may not be able to access full funding to start the new course from the beginning - you may not be able to access tuition fee loan, maintenance grant or special support grant but maintenance loan would be unaffected, and can be means tested. Contact your University advice team for detailed discussion.
Rory9090
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nicolette Burns)
Hi Rory

I'll assume that you have studied one year of geology, and intend to transfer to year 1 of biology. If you have never studied at higher education level before, then you can use the one extra year of funding to allow you to study on the new course.
Briefly, Student Finance England will allow a student enoug loan to study on one course, whatever it's ordinary length, plus they may access one additional year of funding to study their ordinary undergraduate course if necessary. If you have studied more than one year of your course, then you may not be able to access full funding to start the new course from the beginning - you may not be able to access tuition fee loan, maintenance grant or special support grant but maintenance loan would be unaffected, and can be means tested. Contact your University advice team for detailed discussion.
So theres a chance of being funded then, good news. Thanks for the help!

Rory
Kiren Emmerson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
If you study for 2 years of a degree and then change your mind, how much funding can you get towards a new degree?
Student Finance England will generally fund you for the duration of your studies plus one gift year. If you embark on a 4 year degree you will be funded for 4 years plus a 1 year gift which equals 5 years of funding minus your previous 2 years which will leave you with 3 years funding for a 4 years course. This means that you will have to find a way to fund the first year of your degree and SFE will fund the remaining years.
James Quinn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The standard rules for previous study are as follows - you get the length of your new course plus one extra year minus any previous years study. Therefore in your case you will be able to get full funding for your second and third year but you will only be entitled to the maintenance loan in your first year.
(Original post by jelly1000)
Nicolette Burns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gingerchicken)
I have been offered a place on a nursing course this September and am hoping to apply for a maintenance loan to supplement my bursary. I have had previous funding for an undergraduate degree that I wasn't able to complete due to ill health . Will this affect my eligibility for a reduced maintenance loan for my nursing degree ?

Thanks
Hello, you should still be able to apply for the reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance England, as they do not take previous study into account for NHS funded second courses as long as you will be receiving a means tested NHS bursary for your Nursing course.
James Quinn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you did not complete your previous degree because of health reasons then in most cases you can apply for compelling personal reasons to be applied to your situation and Student Finance England (SFE) may consider disregarding your first two years on those grounds. If you can prove that your health problems affected your ability to study then you can ask SFE to reconsider using those first two years. I would recommend gathering as much evidence as you can to prove this such as a letter from your doctor and personal tutor who can confirm this situation for you.
(Original post by gingerchicken)

Thanks
Nicolette Burns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LStM)
Hi,
I already have a degree in Anthropology. I am now applying for a NHS funded degree in Diagnostic Radiography, is my previous degree going to effect my funding?

Thanks.
If you will receive a means tested NHS bursary for your new Diagnostic Radiography course, then the fact that it is your second degree should not matter, and you should also be able to apply for the reduced maintenance loan from SFE - this was £2324 in the 2014/15 year for students living away from the parental home.
James Quinn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, you should be entitled to the reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance England as they do not take previous study into account for NHS funded second courses. As long as the course attracts a means tested bursary you should be okay.
(Original post by LStM)
Hi,

Thanks.
yalina03
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I am doing my first year pharmacy in kingston university. I already did foundation year in oxford brookes and first year pharmaceutical science in kingston university in order to transfer to pharmacy course.
But apparently, I got to know that student finance doesn't fund the first year if you've already done 2 years before. But as far as I know, my teacher didn't make me aware of this. I didn't know I had to pay my tution fee for first year.
And on top of that, I got another letter from student finance saying that I've been overpaid for grant.
I have no idea what is actually happening with student finance. I don't want to withdraw from my course since I've worked so hard to reach at this stage. Please help.
Nicolette Burns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yalina03)
Hi, I am doing my first year pharmacy in kingston university. I already did foundation year in oxford brookes and first year pharmaceutical science in kingston university in order to transfer to pharmacy course.
But apparently, I got to know that student finance doesn't fund the first year if you've already done 2 years before. But as far as I know, my teacher didn't make me aware of this. I didn't know I had to pay my tution fee for first year.
And on top of that, I got another letter from student finance saying that I've been overpaid for grant.
I have no idea what is actually happening with student finance. I don't want to withdraw from my course since I've worked so hard to reach at this stage. Please help.
Hello Yalina

Student finance England will only allow students to access full funding for one extra year over and above the ordinary length of their course, so it sounds correct according to their rules that they have told you that they will not pay tuition fee loan or maintenance grant for this year - this will be why they have asked for the maintenance grant back.
If the foundation year at Oxford Brooks was further education and not higher education, then there might be some hope, as if it was not higher education, then you have only studied for one previous year at the relevant level, and you can correct the misunderstanding by sending the certificate for that course to SFE with your customer reference number and a covering letter. I would suggest you should speak to the student adviser at your university to go through your situation in detail.
Sarah SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for all your questions!

You can find more information by visiting Student Finance England's dedicated student finance zone.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads