The Student Room Group

Is football still popular with the younger as before in england?

i mean spectator football,do they still talk about it?
Interesting question. I actually think the interest in football is decreasing with the younger generation. Kids now are all trendy & skinny & have that weird, shaved at the sides fluffy on top hairstyle going on. They care more about how they look than a gritty slide tackle in the sleet & rain
Reply 2
Original post by TornadoGR4
Interesting question. I actually think the interest in football is decreasing with the younger generation. Kids now are all trendy & skinny & have that weird, shaved at the sides fluffy on top hairstyle going on. They care more about how they look than a gritty slide tackle in the sleet & rain

A lot of footballers care about that too. I would imagine it's just as popular with young as it ever was but I guess it's hard to measure

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes.

Part of my job involves going and working in schools sometimes, and yep.. I cant see any difference between how it was when I was young and now - infact, I would say its increased... because the boys still seem the same, but I would say there is now more interest in the girls, then I remember from when I was a kid..

that said, i would say far less will go regularly to see it live.
I think it's still as popular.
Original post by TornadoGR4

Have you seen the famous footballers of nowadays? They wear more hair product that I do and care far too much about fashion. That and they fall over if a breeze so much as touches them. You cannot blame the decrease in interest on todays 'trend'. I would say that rugby is becoming increasingly popular actually.

I think football is becoming less popular but I would imagine it is more to do with the racism, homophobia and sexism that seems to link itself with football somewhat more than other sports.. That and they get paid a ridiculous amount and people are starting to realise maybe it's a bit too much. I wouldn't say it's only the young generation though, I know a lot of older men and women who aren't interested.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Elliebeanie
Have you seen the famous footballers of nowadays? They wear more hair product that I do and care far too much about fashion. That and they fall over if a breeze so much as touches them. You cannot blame the decrease in interest on todays 'trend'. I would say that rugby is becoming increasingly popular actually.

I think football is becoming less popular but I would imagine it is more to do with the racism, homophobia and sexism that seems to link itself with football somewhat more than other sports.. That and they get paid a ridiculous amount and people are starting to realise maybe it's a bit too much. I wouldn't say it's only the young generation though, I know a lot of older men and women who aren't interested.

Footballers have changed with society; men used to be more butch so footballers were too but now fare more men care far about having styled hair and fashion, footballers now reflect that. To say that rugby is becoming more popular because footballers are getting softer and rugby remains a 'man's' game is slightly sexist which is ironic considering what you went on to say.

Here we go again, 'footballers get paid too much' - they get paid based on what their industry is worth

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a nutshell, yes.
Reply 8

:lolwut:
Original post by Wade-
Footballers have changed with society; men used to be more butch so footballers were too but now fare more men care far about having styled hair and fashion, footballers now reflect that. To say that rugby is becoming more popular because footballers are getting softer and rugby remains a 'man's' game is slightly sexist which is ironic considering what you went on to say.

Here we go again, 'footballers get paid too much' - they get paid based on what their industry is worth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said why I thought rugby was becoming more popular, I simply said that it does appear to be. All of this of course is based on what people in my area seem to be into. I speak to more and more people who aren't into football any more, I just listed some of the possible reasons.

I'm sorry, but the money thing is something I will never be able to understand.. I honestly can't get my head around why anyone should be paid that much unless they are saving countless lives or something haha

Sorry if I offended anyone, perhaps I didn't word it as well as I could have done. Football at the moment is undeniably getting a lot of bad rep in terms of sexism etc though. If it continues like it is in the media at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if it's popularity did decline. It would be interesting to see a proper poll on this though if anyone has seen anything like that?
Reply 10
I never said why I thought rugby was becoming more popular, I simply said that it does appear to be. All of this of course is based on what people in my area seem to be into. I speak to more and more people who aren't into football any more, I just listed some of the possible reasons.

I'm sorry, but the money thing is something I will never be able to understand.. I honestly can't get my head around why anyone should be paid that much unless they are saving countless lives or something haha

Sorry if I offended anyone, perhaps I didn't word it as well as I could have done. Football at the moment is undeniably getting a lot of bad rep in terms of sexism etc though. If it continues like it is in the media at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if it's popularity did decline. It would be interesting to see a proper poll on this though if anyone has seen anything like that?

It certainly came across that you were suggesting football is become less popular because of men getting less masculine and rugby filling that void.

If an industry is worth billions of pounds and you are one of the key parts of it then you deserve to reap the benefit, I don't see how that's difficult to understand. It's the same reason actors get paid millions.

How does football have a sexism issue, there have been isolated incidents with richard keys and andy gray but apart from that I don't know of any sexism controversies

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I was younger literally every park had people kicking a ball about. Hardly see that anymore these days
Reply 12
The PL is, of course, still massively popular with the youth. Can't comment on the Football League, though, because I rarely see a youngster wearing anything other than a PL side's shirt.

Quick Reply

Latest