Do you qualify for student finance?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Student Money Week 2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Wondering if you're able to get funding for studies? Submit your questions to our panel of experts and find out if you qualify.
Gajeel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have made an application, but I am unsure as to whether it qualifies or not.

The application is for a 1 year course in Canada at the Vancouver Film School http://vfs.edu/.

The school/course qualifies for a Careers Development Loan and its Registration code is 8799. But I am currently in no position to take out a loan that require immediate repayment.

I just want to know if it qualifies before I make any commitments.

Thanks for your time.
Sarah SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gajeel)
I have made an application, but I am unsure as to whether it qualifies or not.

The application is for a 1 year course in Canada at the Vancouver Film School http://vfs.edu/.

The school/course qualifies for a Careers Development Loan and its Registration code is 8799. But I am currently in no position to take out a loan that require immediate repayment.

I just want to know if it qualifies before I make any commitments.

Thanks for your time.
Hi Gajeel,

Student Finance England doesn’t provide Career Development Loans. You should contact the bank which is offering you the loan for more information.

You should also contact your university or college to find out what other support is available to you.

To qualify for student finance from Student Finance England your course must be in the UK and one of the following:

• first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd;
• Foundation Degree;
• Higher National Certificate (HNC);
• Higher National Diploma (HND);
• Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE);
• Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE);
• Integrated Masters; or
• Initial Teacher Training (ITT).

The university or college must also be in the UK and either:

• publicly funded (paid for by the government); or
• privately funded but running individual courses that receive public funding.

For more information on how you qualify for student finance you can read 'Student finance - new full-time students' main guide or check out our dedicated student finance zone at www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance We have a section on eligibility.
ThomasSy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi ! I have applied for 'BA (Hons) Computer Games Arts' at Farnham University.
I'm 22 years old, german, living in Germany. I have started and cancelled 2 study courses (each for 1 semester / 1/2 a year), so I guess I wouldn't be eligible for 1 year of financial support. (?)
Are there any other qualifications I have to meet?
Paul SFE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi ThomasSY,

As an EU student you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,000 to help pay for your tuition fees.

As long as you don’t already hold a qualification equal to or higher than the one you plan to study you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan. But if you’ve already had student finance for part of a course that you didn’t complete you may only be able to get finance for the number of years of your new course, plus one additional year, less the number of years you’ve already had funding for.

So, for example, if your new course is three years, add one year and take away the number of years you’ve already received funding for.

You must also have lived in the EEA for three years before the start of your course. There’s more information about the residency requirements on our website www.gov.uk/studentfinance

Visit our dedicated student finance zone for more information on applying for student finance as an EU student.
BottomleyPots
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do I have to provide evidence of my parents income?
Sarah SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BottomleyPots)
Do I have to provide evidence of my parents income?
Hi BottomleyPots,

We only ask for financial evidence if you’re applying for student finance that depends on your household income, such as a Maintenance Grant.

In that case, we’ll ask your parents to give us their National Insurance numbers so we can check your household income with HMRC.

If you’re only applying for the Tuition Fee Loan and the basic Maintenance Loan (the bits that don’t depend on your household income) you can fill in your application without your parents giving us any details.

For more information about what evidence to send visit our dedicated student finance zone.
Clare SFE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Still got questions about student finance? Visit our dedicated Student Finance Zone right here on The Student Room or read our new, interactive quick start guides!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
22.36%
Excited but a bit nervous (112)
45.53%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.41%
I'm really nervous (46)
18.7%

Watched Threads