The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Resurrecting this thread from the dead here.

I have just received a letter from Pembroke in the post about accommodation and i was wondering if any freshers could give any advice or their experience about accommodation there, for example even though its more expensive is Foundress Court really a better option?

Thanks in advance
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by bernardaraunguren
Resurrecting this thread from the dead here.

I have just received a letter from Pembroke in the post about accommodation and i was wondering if any freshers could give any advice or their experience about accommodation there, for example even though its more expensive is Foundress Court really a better option?

Thanks in advance

I'm no longer a Fresher (in fact, I might even be called a Finalist! :eek:) but I lived in Foundress Court (AA) in first-year. The rooms are a good size, all have a sink and are hotel-like. There are good facilities with plenty of showers and kitchens (though no ovens) and the gym, computer room and laundry room in the building. It also has a music room, common room (rarely used though) and New Cellars (for theatrical performances). Personally, I thought it was the best first-year accommodation though obviously you do pay a bit more for it.
Original post by alex_hk90
I'm no longer a Fresher (in fact, I might even be called a Finalist! :eek:) but I lived in Foundress Court (AA) in first-year. The rooms are a good size, all have a sink and are hotel-like. There are good facilities with plenty of showers and kitchens (though no ovens) and the gym, computer room and laundry room in the building. It also has a music room, common room (rarely used though) and New Cellars (for theatrical performances). Personally, I thought it was the best first-year accommodation though obviously you do pay a bit more for it.

Thanks dude, i was leaning more towards Foundress Court already and i think that it may be worth the extra cost.
*Subscribes*

First year lawyer here currently living in New Court - not sure about next year yet since I haven't been called to choose my accommodation. Feel free to ask anything at all! :smile:
Original post by Tortious
*Subscribes*

First year lawyer here currently living in New Court - not sure about next year yet since I haven't been called to choose my accommodation. Feel free to ask anything at all! :smile:

Hey, offer holder for October 2011 here for Pembroke. just wondering, do the rooms have Wifi in accomodation?

Thanks in advance.
Hey, offer holder for October 2011 here for Pembroke. just wondering, do the rooms have Wifi in accomodation?

Thanks in advance.

Hi! :h:

The rooms aren't supposed to have it, no - where I am, I can occasionally detect it with my laptop but the signal isn't strong enough to lock onto. However, you can get an ethernet connection; they charge about £25/term for pretty much unlimited access. You get a 2GB allowance per day and the speeds are insane! :cool:

EDIT: Ah, I see you're a NatSci thinking of living in Foundress. Sockpirate does both.

Sockpirate
:blah:

:wavey:
(edited 12 years ago)

Thanks in advance.

Nope, no Wifi in Foundress, however as Tortious said, there's an ethernet connection, and the internet access is very fast, with a huuugeee download limit (unless of course you decide to download a whole series of misfits, plus V for Vendetta on the same day, in which case your internet gets throttled for 24 hours.. :ninja: )
There is Wifi in the library, and I'm pretty sure also in the JP (common room/bar area) though :smile:

If you have any questions about NatSci/Accommodation/Generally about Pem, please ask! NatSci is great, Foundress is great, Pembroke is great :biggrin:
Original post by Sockpirate
Nope, no Wifi in Foundress, however as Tortious said, there's an ethernet connection, and the internet access is very fast, with a huuugeee download limit (unless of course you decide to download a whole series of misfits, plus V for Vendetta on the same day, in which case your internet gets throttled for 24 hours.. :ninja: )
There is Wifi in the library, and I'm pretty sure also in the JP (common room/bar area) though :smile:

If you have any questions about NatSci/Accommodation/Generally about Pem, please ask! NatSci is great, Foundress is great, Pembroke is great :biggrin:

The first time I exceeded the quota, I was overjoyed to see that it's on a rolling 24 hour basis, so you don't lose your connection for a full day (so my ":nooo:" turned into ":mute:"). However, this term, after exceeding the quota I'd leave it for a couple of hours and come back to see if I was back under yet; generally, I was still well over the 75% limit, thus resulting in multiple notifications and a feeling of :rant:.

There is WiFi in the JP, in case you ever need it. :smile:
The first time I exceeded the quota, I was overjoyed to see that it's on a rolling 24 hour basis, so you don't lose your connection for a full day (so my ":nooo:" turned into ":mute:"). However, this term, after exceeding the quota I'd leave it for a couple of hours and come back to see if I was back under yet; generally, I was still well over the 75% limit, thus resulting in multiple notifications and a feeling of :rant:.

There is WiFi in the JP, in case you ever need it. :smile:

Yeahhhh, unfortunately I downloaded them all at once, so it was a solid 24 hours for me :p: I did like the email telling me 'You have gone over your allocated download allowance by 180%' oops! :laugh:
Yeahhhh, unfortunately I downloaded them all at once, so it was a solid 24 hours for me :p: I did like the email telling me 'You have gone over your allocated download allowance by 180%' oops! :laugh:

That's got to be a new record. :lol:

(You coming to the meet? :ninja:)
That's got to be a new record. :lol:

(You coming to the meet? :ninja:)

Poossibblllyy. Not sure I can do any of those days really, due to exams/bumps/garden parties/may ball/etc. however we shall see!

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

How are Cambridge when it comes to downloading 'illegal' things like music and tv programmes, do they even care?

How much are you paying per week for your accomodation in Foundress Court if you dont mind me asking? If i have anymore questions ill be sure to let you know, cheers.
How are Cambridge when it comes to downloading 'illegal' things like music and tv programmes, do they even care?

Well, obviously I would never do anything illegal so I can only go on what I've heard. :ninja: The general rule is that if you don't use P2P you should be fine. :yep:

How much are you paying per week for your accomodation in Foundress Court if you dont mind me asking? If i have anymore questions ill be sure to let you know, cheers.

It used to be around £90 a week (back when I lived there, 2 years ago now....), so I'm guessing it's going to be close to £100 a week by the time you arrive.
Original post by alex_hk90
Well, obviously I would never do anything illegal so I can only go on what I've heard. :ninja: The general rule is that if you don't use P2P you should be fine. :yep:

It used to be around £90 a week (back when I lived there, 2 years ago now....), so I'm guessing it's going to be close to £100 a week by the time you arrive.

Of course, of course.....
So no torrenting but say mediafire downloads are ok?

Thanks, thats not too bad, better than alot of my mates unis and for a shorter contract time.

I know (at least) all the following work fine: Mediafire, MegaUpload, FileServe, FileSonic, Duckload. I would avoid torrenting as it's easier to detect, and besides I couldn't get it to work so it probably needs a bit of tweaking if you did want to (for legal things like Linux distros, of course). Though I have heard of others who have managed it.

Thanks, thats not too bad, better than alot of my mates unis and for a shorter contract time.

Torrenting doesn't work, but pretty much all standard download websites work. I've never had issues regarding the content of my downloads, purely the size!

and yeah, Foundress is currently £94ish a week for the best rooms, but I'm pretty sure it's up to £99 for the most expensive ones next year, so if you are in Foundress, expect to be paying £95-99 a week :smile: worth it though - my room's so nice!
Reply 416
I'm very interested in applying to Pembroke for Economics. Can anyone please tell me what the 'test at interview' is? are the interview discussions based on the test?
Also, is it true that Pembroke puts a high emphasis on UMS averages?
Thank you!
Original post by pockyy
I'm very interested in applying to Pembroke for Economics. Can anyone please tell me what the 'test at interview' is? are the interview discussions based on the test?
Also, is it true that Pembroke puts a high emphasis on UMS averages?
Thank you!

The test at interview is just that, a college-specific test at the interview. Like the interview, it could have anything from pure maths problems to discursive essays. I don't think anyone can reliably say what it will contain. I'm guessing it's quite likely some of the interview will discuss your answers to the test, but I don't know for sure. And I really don't know how much emphasis is placed on UMS, sorry.
Just found out that i will be staying in Orchard Building. Anyone have any pictures or opinions slash experiences of this accomodation? Would really appreciate it thanks.
Just found out that i will be staying in Orchard Building. Anyone have any pictures or opinions slash experiences of this accomodation? Would really appreciate it thanks.

It's quite a nice place to be - I was in New Court next door and there are fewer tourists at the back of the college. You're also close to two gates for getting in/out (so you don't have to go through the Plodge each time!) and apparently W staircase has an oven (the "Woven", pronounced "wuvven"), the only one outside of Foundress Court. The rooms are a decent size, and you'll have a gyp room and toilet between about four of you.

Which staircase are you in? :smile:

EDIT: Protip - the rooms are generally numbered starting from the top floor, so if you're in room 1, you might want to think carefully about how you pack your stuff. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending