The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ikidyounot.
This thread is specifically about Eminem and rap music. It didn't take long for certain users to hijack a thread about a topic they clearly know nothing about to whinge and pull out the race card. ^^^

You wont get much reasoned discussion out of him. He doesn't know much about rap, he just likes going around promoting his notion of 'the truth' and obstinately pestering anyone that doesn't concur.

You're so cute when you're angry :stomp:
Reply 81
Original post by scrotRot
lol did u purposely leave out tupac?

the fact is eminem has been rapping like 15 years more than big L yet big L still takes a dump in his mouth. have u heard his '98 freestyle?

'ask beavis i get nothing butt-head'.

eminem can't drop lines like that rofl. ur not among the GOATs unless ur dead and black, it's the sad truth

edit: srsly if u don't know what i'm talking about

1:40+, eminem needs to get on his lvl

so clearly written
Original post by 786687
so clearly written

He says at 2:30 that he already wrote it - I'm not sure why the Youtuber has called it a freestyle. It's pretty amazing though.

"Ask beavis, I get nothing butt-head"

So strong.
Good post macro, yeah that's the same interview I saw. I'm watching it now, he also says all the rappers named are different styles of rappers to Eminem. I would agree Eminem is the best spitter or at least one of them.

Reply 84
Original post by macromicro
Keep digging your hole. You didn't refer to anyone except white people generally:

No, I'm saying that making unfounded blanket statements of an entire race based only on their skin colour is racist, which is what you did. We both know that people of all skin colours think Eminem is the greatest - you tried to make it exclusive to white people in order for it to be offensive. It back-fired. I am now bored of repeating myself and watching you dig a deeper and deeper hole to try and desperately worm out of it (although it has been comical). Night :h:

I stand by my statement that only a white person would consider eminem the greatest rapper of all time, so no worming out. It's not my fault if you try to wrongly misinterpret it to fit your own agenda. You're just butt hurt that others called you out on your pathetic attempts to be controversial on the other thread. I stand by my statement that only a white person would consider eminem to be the greatest rapper of all time and many others on this thread agree with me. You're the only one trying to take pseudo-offence.

please provide links for where any drake has ever referred to eminem as THE GREATEST of all time. You failed to do so when I asked you before.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
Your op is true. I even had a white English teacher (A level) who said he hated rap music, and didn't know any rap artists, but had Eminem's album.

:colonhash:

Exactly. One of my white friends said she hates rap music besides eminem. Gave her a side eye on that one.
Original post by hau28
I stand by my statement that only a white person would consider eminem the greatest rapper of all time

Even though I've listed black rappers who think he is...

We're going in circles. What are your favourite hip-hop tracks of all time, out of interest?
Nice deflection, confirms that you know I'm right. :tea:

Tea for two? :tea:
Reply 88
Even though I've listed black rappers who think he is...

We're going in circles. What are your favourite hip-hop tracks of all time, out of interest?

Still haven't answered the drake q...
This is from my personal experience, I don't know rakim.

I don't have a definitive list, but some of my faves off the top of my head are j Cole - miss america, born sinner
Kendrick lamar - rigamortus, the set of peer pressure.
This is with we're going off lyrical content as well. I like a lot of hip hop purely for the beat and the flow. I like kid ink even though he's lyrically weak and pretty ratchet. Also im kinda similar to you, I consider kendrick lamar the greatest (that ive heard), but I prefer drake. I also like nicki minaj even though she's lyrically not that great lol, but she does kill it in a few songs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 89
You can really hear the influence of Rakim in Biterphobia more than any of his early material. It's interesting how he finds his own style so quickly; just a few years later he had already written, recorded and produced the SSLP - he didn't hang around.

Who are your favourites besides Eminem? Do you like Akala?

Akala is boss, but I only know a few of his songs.
Reply 90
Original post by hau28
Only white people consider Eminem to be the greatest rapper ever

Nope. Knew an asian guy who adored him
Reply 91
Honestly. I mean, even though I don't know much about rap, I know enough to know that white people involved in it need to have a certain level of black consciousness. It's not just a flavour, it comes with a political history and racial context that only an ignorant or racist person would deny. To name Eminem the greatest rapper is like naming President Kennedy or Bono as the most important black equality activist in post-Medieval history.

I like how eminem addresses it in 'white america'. At least him and Macklemore are aware and can actually rap, unlike iggy and her fake ass (in both ways)...
To name Eminem the greatest rapper is like naming President Kennedy or Bono as the most important black equality activist in post-Medieval history.

What does the colour of an artist's skin have to do with their superiority as a rapper? This is Rakim's point - people need to look past race and focus on the music alone because that's the only thing of importance and of relevance. I don't care if it's a blue-skinned avatar behind the mic we should be critiquing the music they create not their background.

I don't know much about rap

That much was evident, m'dear.
Original post by hau28
Akala is boss, but I only know a few of his songs.

Have you heard Find No Enemy? It's pretty relevant to this thread - doing away with racist comparisons:

To educate is to draw out what is within
Are we not all the same under the skin?
Reply 94
Oh do they. Well then they would probably reject the greatest rapper of all time mantle themselves.

:laugh: cruel.

Dunno much about what eminems said besides the song, but here's an interview Macklemore did http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/macklemore-race-white-privilege-thrift-shop-backlash-interview-20141230

But anyway, he won best rap album at the grammy's against Kendrick and good kid mad city. I've listened to macklemores album and it's good, but srsly...?
...So which one are you, ignorant, or racist.

There is no either/or - ignorance is a prerequisite for racism. I am both informed and open-minded and look beyond discrimination.

Now please answer my question: what is the relevance of skin colour to musical superiority?
Reply 96
Have you heard Find No Enemy? It's pretty relevant to this thread - doing away with racism comparisons:

To educate is to draw out what is within
Are we not all the same under the skin?

I only know shakespeare, fire in the booth (dunno if that's an actual song or a freestyle) and comedy tragedy history
Reply 97
There is no either/or - ignorance is a prerequisite for racism. I am both informed and open-minded and look beyond discrimination.

Now please answer my question: what is the relevance of skin colour to musical superiority?

To act like that there is no White priviledge in music is the most ignorant thing that you can do. Also please respond to my other post (inc the drake bit).
Original post by hau28
I only know shakespeare, fire in the booth (dunno if that's an actual song or a freestyle) and comedy tragedy history

You're in for a treat:

[video="youtube;LjvUMr1-AAU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvUMr1-AAU&spfreload=10[/video]
Original post by hau28
To act like there is no White priviledge in music is the most ignorant thing that you could do.

I don't think you're understanding Rakim's points: in hip-hop there is black privilege, hence why he talks of sub-par black artists indulging in the advantages of their "gimmicks" that white rappers can't and also why he describes Eminem as the Muhammed Ali of rap, if only he were black.

Latest