The Student Room Group

Biology AS/A2 late?

Hiya,

I'm currently in year 12 studying my AS levels; psychology; sociology; English language; and history. Only the other day did I actually realise the university course I want to do, Conservation Biology. This is the only university course I have seen myself doing, that I would be motivated to learn about. But of course, I need biology, and I don't have biology. Initially I did take it AS after I got an A at GCSE, but I dropped it for sociology, but I do have a huge interest in the subject.

I went to see my head of year to see if I could do biology as an AS next year, which can sometimes work. Yet I have to do it at A2 also for the course. And that will not really be possible to do.

In short, I was wondering if there was some way that I could either do the A2 level or a way around this for the course? It's just that many of the unis that offer a good course in this want biology, and I don't know what to do!! Any suggestions?
Original post by OliviaCarter
Any suggestions?

I think your only option is to fast-track it next year.
I know this girl in my chemistry as class and what she did was she dropped two subjects and replaced

Posted from TSR Mobile
And replaced them with as and a level chemistry to be studied in one year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hiya,

I'm currently in year 12 studying my AS levels; psychology; sociology; English language; and history. Only the other day did I actually realise the university course I want to do, Conservation Biology. This is the only university course I have seen myself doing, that I would be motivated to learn about. But of course, I need biology, and I don't have biology. Initially I did take it AS after I got an A at GCSE, but I dropped it for sociology, but I do have a huge interest in the subject.

I went to see my head of year to see if I could do biology as an AS next year, which can sometimes work. Yet I have to do it at A2 also for the course. And that will not really be possible to do.

In short, I was wondering if there was some way that I could either do the A2 level or a way around this for the course? It's just that many of the unis that offer a good course in this want biology, and I don't know what to do!! Any suggestions?

Wanting to do this next year will be particularly tricky as the whole A level Biology is changing. The new spec Biology won't have A level exams next year so you'd have to do the current specification but there won't be any lessons for the AS part as people in Y12 will be taking the new spec.

You could see if any universities would accept just an AS in Biology?
Reply 5
Hiya,

You have over Summer to learn the AS. Supposedly in Biology AS it is just fact learning and exam technique... So it shouldn't be much of a problem. If you could try and bargain with your biology teachers that if you get say an A in a Biology as mock in September 2015 perhaps they would let you take just the A2 course if you got a good enough grade?

I am going to try that with my physics department but I guess that is different since I will have a good set of mechanics from further maths. I guess the best advice is to just talk to your Biology department and see how they feel. Also be wary that Biology AS won't be taught (presumably) to a lot of the year below... So time tabling if you want to do just an AS might be difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Could you look into self teaching biology AS this year and sitting the exam somewhere as an external candidate, then do A2 next year? I don't know if this is definitely possible, just an idea

Quick Reply

Latest