Was my school right to change the sixth form uniform? Watch

sufle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(I'm sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place, I honestly have no idea where to post it and so after looking through all the forums I thought this was the best place to post it! )

I'm going to try to keep this brief and neutral, but I, and many other girls in my year, can honestly see no advantage to this uniform.

Firstly, I should highlight that this is the current (or I might as well say old) sixth form uniform:
http://www.watfordgrammarschoolforgi...m/hdgirl-y.jpg (sadly I couldn't find an image displaying the whole uniform, but we'd also wear a pleated skirt or trousers and maybe a cardigan or a jumper. Some girls opt to wear a polo shirt instead of a blouse too). This uniform expresses the idea of freedom as it's so different from the uniform the rest of the school wears (that being yellow blouses and for the lower years a blazer is compulsory). Almost everyone in our year loves it; the feeling of wearing something that makes you feel more mature because it's a unique uniform is understandable. In particular, my sister loved hers so much that she took extra care with it - and she usually loses things!

But despite this, a traditional uniform we've worn for over twenty years and maybe longer, our school wants to change it. And it is so different that I wonder if it is a uniform or something an air hostess would wear. In fact, it doesn't look too different from this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/4...r-Suit-690.jpg (in all actuality it is more tight-fitting than what the model is wearing but I digress).

The first point that raises concern is that this uniform is black and white. Our school colours are navy blue and yellow, with yellow omitted for white at sixth form. Clearly, this strips our school identity and almost separates us from the rest of the school. I should also highlight that pencil skirts are currently banned for every year. Why are they being brought in if our headmistress has banned them?

Futhermore, it has a blazer. I wouldn't mind this, but as I've said before, blazers are worn by the lower years (years 7-9) and in years 10 and 11 you don't have to wear one at all. It seems almost unfair to have to wear something you thought you'd never wear again and even if you've kept the blazer (the lower years wear a navy blue one, I should point out), you have to buy a new one.

The theme of this uniform is 'preparing you for the workplace'. I disagree with this, because as far as I'm aware there aren't many workplaces which would adopt such a uniform. Every adult I know (including from outside my family) doesn't wear this sort of uniform - they wear smart clothing such as a blouse and high-waisted trousers or an appropriate dress. Apart from the blouse, can you see any of this uniform being a part of the 'smart clothing' I describe? Me neither. It makes me wonder why this isn't the uniform they've adopted. They'd have happier pupils, for sure.

But the main concern, which has concerned parents too, is the cost. I calculated an average for the cost of this uniform and it is £145, not including a new PE kit (because the sixth form PE kit is white and navy blue like our current uniform) and additional items like a lab coat for those who are taking a science A-level (I'll comment the individual cost of items if necessary). The current uniform is only £38/51 (depending on whether you buy a polo shirt or a blouse) because we already have the majority of the items! And what makes it worse it that we have so little time to prepare the cost for a uniform as of course, our GCSE results are revealed in August. To expect a student to buy this new uniform in advance and to measured and suchlike is almost jumping it because if we haven't got the required grades for sixth form then we have to deal with the drama of taking the uniform back and buying another uniform for another sixth form (who at least haven't decided to change their uniforms).

And it leads me onto another point. Usually, when a girl's family can't afford a uniform, our headmistress will give them money to buy one (or they can get one from a second-hand shop). However, because of this new uniform, there will be no second-hand uniforms for at least a few months, if not even a year. And if this is the case, then our headmistress cannot give 200 girls £145 for a uniform. She gives money via a fund we all give £3 to every year, which also covers costs for trips for girls who can't afford them and so forth. There are about 1500 girls in my year, so: 1500x3= £4500. Assuming £300 is used on trips, then the amount is left at £4200. 4200 divided by 145 is 29 so therefore our headmistress can only supply the uniform to 29 girls. Must we do a lottery to see who she'll give money to? Because I imagine more than 29 girls will be needing help with affording the uniform. Me included.

The final thing about this uniform (have I mentioned we only wear it for two years before we go to university!? For some it may only be a year so it doesn't seem financially good for the future!) is that we weren't informed about the change, and neither were our parents. It seems shocking. For a uniform we have to wear, we were never told about it. Not consulted about it at the beginning of term, no input into how it should look, nothing. If we hadn't discovered the change, we would still know nothing about it. That's what's angered us the most. And they don't want any criticism about it. One of my classmates started a petition to try and get the school to change it (I'll admit it is extreme, but it got the school's attention), asking both parents and students to sign it. And what? She gets told off for it! There is no two-way communication or even a compromise to this uniform. It's either that we have to wear it, or we have to go to another sixth form.

But I shouldn't complain entirely about it. I've been chosen, along with ten other girls to model it. While I can rant about the cost and how it isn't in the right colour and suchlike, I can't complain about how it feels. Maybe it'll feel nice to wear. But from my experiences with pencil skirts, I have a feeling the uniform isn't for every body type. I can never do the zips up on those skirts!

So, after reading this, what do you think? Was my school right to change it or not? I want to know because I'm curious, and to see if any of us at my school have a right to be angry. Maybe I'm missing out on an aspect about it which is good. Or maybe I'm right in thinking that it wasn't a wise move. Thanks for reading!

username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
6th form uniform? That's a thing? Sounds like a way to nickel and dime 6th formers for even longer. Pretty much every college I know allows you to wear what you want(within reason) because its freedom of expression and most of the idiots who would mock people over clothing during secondary school were filtered out anyway and never got into college. This has me really puzzled.
OhGod
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sufle)
(I'm sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place, I honestly have no idea where to post it and so after looking through all the forums I thought this was the best place to post it! )

I'm going to try to keep this brief and neutral, but I, and many other girls in my year, can honestly see no advantage to this uniform.

Firstly, I should highlight that this is the current (or I might as well say old) sixth form uniform:
http://www.watfordgrammarschoolforgi...m/hdgirl-y.jpg (sadly I couldn't find an image displaying the whole uniform, but we'd also wear a pleated skirt or trousers and maybe a cardigan or a jumper. Some girls opt to wear a polo shirt instead of a blouse too). This uniform expresses the idea of freedom as it's so different from the uniform the rest of the school wears (that being yellow blouses and for the lower years a blazer is compulsory). Almost everyone in our year loves it; the feeling of wearing something that makes you feel more mature because it's a unique uniform is understandable. In particular, my sister loved hers so much that she took extra care with it - and she usually loses things!

But despite this, a traditional uniform we've worn for over twenty years and maybe longer, our school wants to change it. And it is so different that I wonder if it is a uniform or something an air hostess would wear. In fact, it doesn't look too different from this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/4...r-Suit-690.jpg (in all actuality it is more tight-fitting than what the model is wearing but I digress).

The first point that raises concern is that this uniform is black and white. Our school colours are navy blue and yellow, with yellow omitted for white at sixth form. Clearly, this strips our school identity and almost separates us from the rest of the school. I should also highlight that pencil skirts are currently banned for every year. Why are they being brought in if our headmistress has banned them?

Futhermore, it has a blazer. I wouldn't mind this, but as I've said before, blazers are worn by the lower years (years 7-9) and in years 10 and 11 you don't have to wear one at all. It seems almost unfair to have to wear something you thought you'd never wear again and even if you've kept the blazer (the lower years wear a navy blue one, I should point out), you have to buy a new one.

The theme of this uniform is 'preparing you for the workplace'. I disagree with this, because as far as I'm aware there aren't many workplaces which would adopt such a uniform. Every adult I know (including from outside my family) doesn't wear this sort of uniform - they wear smart clothing such as a blouse and high-waisted trousers or an appropriate dress. Apart from the blouse, can you see any of this uniform being a part of the 'smart clothing' I describe? Me neither. It makes me wonder why this isn't the uniform they've adopted. They'd have happier pupils, for sure.

But the main concern, which has concerned parents too, is the cost. I calculated an average for the cost of this uniform and it is £145, not including a new PE kit (because the sixth form PE kit is white and navy blue like our current uniform) and additional items like a lab coat for those who are taking a science A-level (I'll comment the individual cost of items if necessary). The current uniform is only £38/51 (depending on whether you buy a polo shirt or a blouse) because we already have the majority of the items! And what makes it worse it that we have so little time to prepare the cost for a uniform as of course, our GCSE results are revealed in August. To expect a student to buy this new uniform in advance and to measured and suchlike is almost jumping it because if we haven't got the required grades for sixth form then we have to deal with the drama of taking the uniform back and buying another uniform for another sixth form (who at least haven't decided to change their uniforms).

And it leads me onto another point. Usually, when a girl's family can't afford a uniform, our headmistress will give them money to buy one (or they can get one from a second-hand shop). However, because of this new uniform, there will be no second-hand uniforms for at least a few months, if not even a year. And if this is the case, then our headmistress cannot give 200 girls £145 for a uniform. She gives money via a fund we all give £3 to every year, which also covers costs for trips for girls who can't afford them and so forth. There are about 1500 girls in my year, so: 1500x3= £4500. Assuming £300 is used on trips, then the amount is left at £4200. 4200 divided by 145 is 29 so therefore our headmistress can only supply the uniform to 29 girls. Must we do a lottery to see who she'll give money to? Because I imagine more than 29 girls will be needing help with affording the uniform. Me included.

The final thing about this uniform (have I mentioned we only wear it for two years before we go to university!? For some it may only be a year so it doesn't seem financially good for the future!) is that we weren't informed about the change, and neither were our parents. It seems shocking. For a uniform we have to wear, we were never told about it. Not consulted about it at the beginning of term, no input into how it should look, nothing. If we hadn't discovered the change, we would still know nothing about it. That's what's angered us the most. And they don't want any criticism about it. One of my classmates started a petition to try and get the school to change it (I'll admit it is extreme, but it got the school's attention), asking both parents and students to sign it. And what? She gets told off for it! There is no two-way communication or even a compromise to this uniform. It's either that we have to wear it, or we have to go to another sixth form.

But I shouldn't complain entirely about it. I've been chosen, along with ten other girls to model it. While I can rant about the cost and how it isn't in the right colour and suchlike, I can't complain about how it feels. Maybe it'll feel nice to wear. But from my experiences with pencil skirts, I have a feeling the uniform isn't for every body type. I can never do the zips up on those skirts!

So, after reading this, what do you think? Was my school right to change it or not? I want to know because I'm curious, and to see if any of us at my school have a right to be angry. Maybe I'm missing out on an aspect about it which is good. Or maybe I'm right in thinking that it wasn't a wise move. Thanks for reading!

Sixth Form UNIFORM :lol:
Precious Illusions
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I used to go to school in my birthday suit
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by marco14196)
6th form uniform? That's a thing? Sounds like a way to nickel and dime 6th formers for even longer. Pretty much every college I know allows you to wear what you want(within reason) because its freedom of expression and most of the idiots who would mock people over clothing during secondary school were filtered out anyway and never got into college. This has me really puzzled.

(Original post by OhGod)
Sixth Form UNIFORM :lol:

(Original post by Gott)
We don't have one

Sixth forms in Northern Ireland have uniforms. All we do (in mine) is just change our ties from the rest of the school.

(Original post by sufle)

OP, I don't think schools can do that without a consultation period. Or maybe that is what schools usually do, when they want to change an aspect of uniform, out of respect.
Their excuse on it preparing for the real world is a pile of BS, methinks.
Also, pencil skirts are horrible. Only one school in my city have them, and wow are they bad!

What's wrong with a blazer though? I love my blazer.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Precious Illusions)
I used to go to school in my birthday suit
Me too. That suit I got for my birthday that one year was pretty nice, it was really stylish.
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have to wear a suit to sixth form. It's best to buy two suits, and with all of the shirts it gets pretty expensive. :/
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Some selective sixth forms have them here
Selective sixth forms? Like do a test to get in sixth form?
Becca.H96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My old school brought in a kind of uniform, they just had to wear black and white but that meant i would have to buy all new clothes for just 2 years, I left for college where you can what whatever you want, I didn't leave just solely on the uniform, the school had annoyed me for my entire AS year, so i know how you feel and yes you have the right to be angry, its unfair to expect people to pay up that much on such short notice and to not even tell you is just ridiculous. Get parents to complain, schools never listen to the students
Kangie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My school makes sixth formers wear a suit. They changed the rules a few years ago as they were allowed to wear anything they wanted but now we have to wear matching trousers/skirt (matching as in colour and material) with the jacket. We're allowed to wear any top under the jacket as long as it is either stripy/spotty/plain. I admit I hardly ever wear my jacket because it annoys the heck out of me but the concept of wearing suits makes sixth formers look much more grown up and 'ready for the business world'.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Like only take people who got all A*s, like Hilsroad
Kinda like my school. Minimum 7Bs but everyone has a mix of 10/11 A* and A grades.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The original one is better.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
You only had to get a c in maths, English and science at mine lol but there are some who got all As
My school is all about the league tables. Top school in N.Ireland.
There is C grades in my year, but mostly in Additional Maths.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
Lol, that's dreadful. My sixth form uniform was practically the same as the younger years except you got a different coloured band on the blazer.
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pencil Skirts is bullying for some girls, really .... And regarding real world: You are expected to wear suits, yes, but
a) Dresses are totally acceptable
b) it has to look good, otherwise you won't be seen as dressing properly, and you can't look good in a one kind of suit fits all attitude.

And tradition is way more important in my eyes. Call me conservative ...

(And the prize ...)
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
6th forms should be exam factories so your lucky. Almost everyone got a U in add maths here (didn't even finish the course) apart from about 5 sweats (term used here to describe someone who works harder than anyone else and does things that aren't technically needed as in 'he sweated his add maths exam')
I suppose now it's useful to be in a school like it. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it, lol.
Hmm, I don't know if we have a term like that.
leahdw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm so glad someone else dislikes the new uniform. I'm also glad I'll be at Uni before they can make me wear it! I don't see anything wrong with the current uniform, but if they're going to change it they could at least keep the navy blue. And ditch the blazers. And allow people to wear something other than a pencil skirt. And allow a warm, comfortable jumper.

It just doesn't fit in.
curtis110
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your school wasn't right to have a sixth form uniform at all
username197472
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
My school is all about the league tables. Top school in N.Ireland.
There is C grades in my year, but mostly in Additional Maths.
Rathmore?

Op my 6th form uniform was exactly identical to the one for the rest of the school.
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why should some sixth forms make students wear uniforms?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.28%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.35%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.37%

Watched Threads