The Student Room Group

The average/lower quartile GCSE student gets 3-6A* grades and the rest As. #fact

Don't you dare say otherwise or show me all those spreadsheets filled with filth and lies. It's plainly obvious that those are lies, made to make those four or five kids that somehow got a C or lower in each year group feel better before they spend the rest of their life working in mcdonalds or cleaning toilets.
Reply 1
/thread
That's probably true. When I was at sixth form (I went to one in one of the poorest boroughs in Britain: Tower Hamlets) 2-3 A*s and rest As/Bs at GCSE was common. Even some that were failing AS miserably hade like 4-5 A*s at GCSE.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
That's probably true. When I was at sixth form (I went to one in one of the poorest boroughs in Britain: Tower Hamlets) 2-3 A*s and rest As/Bs at GCSE was common. Even some that were failing AS miserably hade like 4-5 A*s at GCSE.

And that's in Tower Hamlets, imagine in other parts of the country!! Performance in private schools also contributed to this increase of the average GCSE performance. GCSEs are too easy!!.
Well I suppose you're right but when I was at secondary school, there was definitely a significant proportion who I would call idiots and they're a significant number. That was a few years ago and I guess its probably the same
Original post by marco14196
Well there was definitely a significant proportion who I would call idiots and they're a significant number.

Are you talking about the ones that got A*/As for GCSE?
Original post by Raymat
Are you talking about the ones that got A*/As for GCSE?

Sadly no, they did not.
Original post by marco14196
Sadly no, they did not.

I was asking that because there are even some idiots at secondary that get As and A*s at GCSE, with no sweat.
Reply 8
I wouldn't say that's true. GCSEs may be a lot easier than A levels etc, but lower than average would be like all Cs and Bs not 3 A*s.
Well there were only 2 students at my secondary school who had between 3-6A* grades, out of a year group of around 200. There were only a total of 10 A*s too, but I'd say the average was Ds, Cs and maybe a few Bs
bump
Considering the average grade at my school was a D at GCSE, I don't think so :lol:

The smartest in the year probably got around that many.
In my sixth form a significant number of people got a B or even a C in subjects they have continued to study at A-level, which are presumably their best subjects. An A* is seen as being pretty special, most people I know from my sixth form didn't get a single one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol no, there was only person in my whole year who got that. My GCSEs were not great (due to being lazy), I got mainly B's a couple of As and one A*, and I had one of the best grades in the whole year.
The average grade in my school was b/c and those were mainly from btecs. Tbh I know some people who have 7-8 a* and aren't doing fantastically at a level and some with 1-2 a* who get a grades on most tests.
Original post by CancerousProblem
Don't you dare say otherwise or show me all those spreadsheets filled with filth and lies. It's plainly obvious that those are lies, made to make those four or five kids that somehow got a C or lower in each year group feel better before they spend the rest of their life working in mcdonalds or cleaning toilets.

I'd agree that some apparently very stupid people get A*s but some apparently quite bright ones don't. The world is also full of people re-re-sitting in search of an elusive C so I disagree with you.

The 'spreadsheets filled with lies' say
61.7% of girls achieved at least 5A*-C GCSEs (or equivalent) grades including English and mathematics compared to 51.6% of boys;
from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/399005/SFR06_2015_Text.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest