Green_Otaku
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My mum was still running on iOS 6 and hadn't updated since then as she didn't have enough room to. I convinced her that you could download the update from itunes, and update the iPad from there.

We downloaded itunes for the first time onto my dad's laptop, downloaded iOS 8.1 whilst the device was plugged in, and it started updating.

Anyway after that the update failed and the iPad appears to have gone into recovery mode; every time we attempt the update again, it fails.

I'm not sure when the last backup was made (if ever), so am worried that I've essentially doomed my mum's iPad to losing all of its photos forever, as the only way to save it appears to be by doing a restore.

Is there any way to just update the iPad without losing any of the content?
scriberg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol if you bricked it you cant get back anything on it (from my experience)

just dfu restore it if you want it working again

EDIT: if you had a previous backup on itunes or icloud you can reinstall that
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hook it up over USB to a laptop or desktop and load up iTunes. Then do the following

1. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
  2. Hold down both the Sleep Button (on top of your device) and the Home Button (on the front underneath the screen).
  3. Keep them both held down from about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
  4. Let go of the Sleep Button but keep holding the Home Button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plus into iTunes" screen than you held it too long and will need to start again.)
  5. If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.

Then you can restore the iPad over iTunes over the USB cable. You'll lose ALL saved content but it will save it from complete death
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?
(Original post by scriberg)
lol if you bricked it you cant get back anything on it (from my experience)

just dfu restore it if you want it working again

EDIT: if you had a previous backup on itunes or icloud you can reinstall that
Do you have to manually back it up to icloud or does that happen automatically?
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?
(Original post by marco14196)
Hook it up over USB to a laptop or desktop and load up iTunes. Then do the following

1. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
  2. Hold down both the Sleep Button (on top of your device) and the Home Button (on the front underneath the screen).
  3. Keep them both held down from about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
  4. Let go of the Sleep Button but keep holding the Home Button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plus into iTunes" screen than you held it too long and will need to start again.)
  5. If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.

Then you can restore the iPad over iTunes over the USB cable. You'll lose ALL saved content but it will save it from complete death
I'm trying to do that as a last resort because she has loads of pictures on there and I'd hate to be responsible for erasing them :/
scriberg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Green_Otaku)
Do you have to manually back it up to icloud or does that happen automatically?
i dont think there is a way of getting data off a bricked ios device (if there is i would be very surprised)

unless you had the icloud photo back up, youve lost them

take some time to grieve over this (i cried when i lost my pictures) and dfu restore it

use google drive or dropbox to back up in the future (i use dropbox and the pictures come straight to a folder on my laptop)
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?
i dont think there is a way of getting data off a bricked ios device (if there is i would be very surprised)

unless you had the icloud photo back up, youve lost them

take some time to grieve over this (i cried when i lost my pictures) and dfu restore it

use google drive or dropbox to back up in the future (i use dropbox and the pictures come straight to a folder on my laptop)
I don't know if it automatically backed itself up though; she had an itunes account, but never connected it to a computer, so I'm wondering if iCloud just automatically kicked in at some point? Would the iPad ever create a back up on itself (crazy I know), and would I be able to access this when restoring the tablet?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm trying to do that as a last resort because she has loads of pictures on there and I'd hate to be responsible for erasing them :/
If it's bricked then it's bricked, either she loses the photos and gets a functioning iPad or she loses the photos and gets a non-functioning iPad.

Did you not back up before beginning the update? Was iCloud active?
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
If it's bricked then it's bricked, either she loses the photos and gets a functioning iPad or she loses the photos and gets a non-functioning iPad.

Did you not back up before beginning the update? Was iCloud active?
Honestly I've no idea, is there any way to find out? At that point I was just trying to install the update as quickly as possible because nobody I know has ever encountered something like this before
scriberg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know if it automatically backed itself up though; she had an itunes account, but never connected it to a computer, so I'm wondering if iCloud just automatically kicked in at some point? Would the iPad ever create a back up on itself (crazy I know), and would I be able to access this when restoring the tablet?
after reading your first post again, your computer wouldve made a backup of the ipad before updating

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4946

that might help you find the stuff you need^
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?
after reading your first post again, your computer wouldve made a backup of the ipad before updating

God I hope so - I'm just checking it now to make sure it did. Fingers crossed!
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?

Right there's no backup, but any idea if a hard reset would work? i.e. hold power and home button until screen goes black, then turn back on?
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?
UPDATE: Hard resetting didn't work at all, but my Dad's found some sort of recovery program online which we're planning to try out tomorrow.

I know it's completely my fault for forgetting to back up before the update, but honestly Apple shouldn't let their devices get bricked when the user performs an update. If I'd jail broken the device or something then that'd be slightly more understandable, but the only reason I can think of why the update failed was because there wasn't enough space.
Green_Otaku
Rep:
?
I just thought: my Mum has an iPhone 4, and they're probably linked to the same Apple account. Do iPhone 4s have photo stream? Because that would be a sure-fire way of retrieving her photos!

For the record my iPod 4 has photo stream and has all of my iPad photos in its photo stream
scriberg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just thought: my Mum has an iPhone 4, and they're probably linked to the same Apple account. Do iPhone 4s have photo stream? Because that would be a sure-fire way of retrieving her photos!

For the record my iPod 4 has photo stream and has all of my iPad photos in its photo stream
if it has photo stream it will have saved all the pics to that icloud account
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads