The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Accommodation? En suite or non en suite

I have the dilemma of deciding whether I want an en suite or not. I visited deanery and I loved it, it was really nice however non en suite residences work out about £700 cheaper for the year, money that would come in very handy as I am doing fine art and will need to spend quite a lot on supplies. Also don't want a part time job to start with as my course will be really time consuming so I am assuming this extra money will help go towards living costs.

However I do have savings for my maintenence. I don't know what is more worth it - an extra £700 to spend, or have privacy and comfort of my own en suite

Anyone else in this situation? Anyone recommend any of the non en suite residences? I only got to visit deanery so I don't know what the others are actually like. Deanery was completely different to what it looked like on the website so.... IDK

I don't think I will mind sharing a bathroom but I only live with my Dad so I don't really know....
Reply 1
Original post by Miarae97
I have the dilemma of deciding whether I want an en suite or not. I visited deanery and I loved it, it was really nice however non en suite residences work out about £700 cheaper for the year, money that would come in very handy as I am doing fine art and will need to spend quite a lot on supplies. Also don't want a part time job to start with as my course will be really time consuming so I am assuming this extra money will help go towards living costs.

However I do have savings for my maintenence. I don't know what is more worth it - an extra £700 to spend, or have privacy and comfort of my own en suite

Anyone else in this situation? Anyone recommend any of the non en suite residences? I only got to visit deanery so I don't know what the others are actually like. Deanery was completely different to what it looked like on the website so.... IDK

I don't think I will mind sharing a bathroom but I only live with my Dad so I don't really know....

Like you mentioned it is essentially a cost vs comfort situation.

Having an en-suite is awesome. I lived at Deanery for 2 years and personally thought the extra money was worth it. Being able to use your toilet and shower whenever you want, without having to worry about other people, other people's cleanliness is great. It could also come in handy after some drunken nights if you have a bit too much :wink:

Deanery is also, in my opinion, the best residence. Although I did not stay in any others I visited most through friends and parties etc.

The toilets and showers in shared residences are cleaned by people employed by the university although I'm not sure how often.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by Miarae97

I'm in this dilemma as well I don't know whether to go en suite or not but I've only seen Kimber en suite so I don't know what the other ones are like I'm torn between Lucia Foster and Kimber.. Lucia foster is non em suite but it's the biggest halls :/
Original post by hatago
I'm in this dilemma as well I don't know whether to go en suite or not but I've only seen Kimber en suite so I don't know what the other ones are like I'm torn between Lucia Foster and Kimber.. Lucia foster is non em suite but it's the biggest halls :/

I live in LFW currently and like you was torn between whether I wanted en-suite or not. Ive never had an issue of waiting for the shower or the toilet and the cleaner comes in everyday apart from the weekend obviously to tidy the kitchen, bathrooms (2 showers, 1 large disabled shower with toilet, 1 male W/C, 1 female W/C) and corridor. I have two friends in Kimber and find they don't have much space because of their ensuite taking up a lot of room. It really comes down to if you want that extra privacy.

Hope this helps, message me if you have any other questions! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending