CompSci with Intelligent Systems - bad choice?

Watch
emanueladiana
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have an unconditional offer for this course, but I've noticed there are few others (if any) with this one around. Somebody at King's now told me it's a less popular choice than CompSci and the course is no good.

Anybody know anything? I'm thinking of changing to CompSci, if they'll let me, but I wouldn't want to base my choice on one opinion.
DrAndrewColes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a good course, though I'm an Artificial Intelligence researcher so am of course biased.

It does have smaller numbers than straightforward computer science, but that's true generally when comparing AI to CS degrees. The first year of the two programmes is the same, so you can freely change at any point up to the end of the first year, between one and the other - you don't have to make a firm decision now.
emanueladiana
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrAndrewColes)
It's a good course, though I'm an Artificial Intelligence researcher so am of course biased.

It does have smaller numbers than straightforward computer science, but that's true generally when comparing AI to CS degrees. The first year of the two programmes is the same, so you can freely change at any point up to the end of the first year, between one and the other - you don't have to make a firm decision now.
Well that's great news, thanks! I'm gonna go for the 4 years CompSci course though. If they offered something in the area of AI at the MSci level I'd have taken it.
DrAndrewColes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by emanueladiana)
Well that's great news, thanks! I'm gonna go for the 4 years CompSci course though. If they offered something in the area of AI at the MSci level I'd have taken it.
MSci Robotics & Intelligent Systems. First two years are identical to the BSc in Computer Science with Intelligent Systems. Third year is almost the same but with a couple of extra robotics modules. Fourth year you can more-or-less choose what you like to balance your interests.

(I didn't choose the name for the course - it could make it clearer what's involved!)
emanueladiana
Rep:
?
MSci Robotics & Intelligent Systems. First two years are identical to the BSc in Computer Science with Intelligent Systems. Third year is almost the same but with a couple of extra robotics modules. Fourth year you can more-or-less choose what you like to balance your interests.

(I didn't choose the name for the course - it could make it clearer what's involved!)
Oh, I took it from the name of the course that it's quite different from CompSci, that it's about engineering mostly (which I don't think I'd enjoy too much). I can't know for sure what I am interested in yet, but I know I'd love to work in the AI field. Maybe in the first year I'll decide to change from one to the other then!

Crazy question: I read somewhere on their website at the course content section that I'd be able to select optional modules in the first two years, modules that don't necessarily have to be related to my course. Is that true, or did I misunderstood?
DrAndrewColes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by emanueladiana)
Crazy question: I read somewhere on their website at the course content section that I'd be able to select optional modules in the first two years, modules that don't necessarily have to be related to my course. Is that true, or did I misunderstood?
In the first two years, off-syllabus modules are restricted to the language classes available (for free) to all King's students.

In the third/fourth year, there's more flexibility if you want to do a module or two from outside the department.

That all said, if your priority is to learn rather than have it count formally to your degree, you can go to any lecture you want, and read the online course materials. It's a good use of the opportunity of being at university.
emanueladiana
Rep:
?
In the first two years, off-syllabus modules are restricted to the language classes available (for free) to all King's students.

In the third/fourth year, there's more flexibility if you want to do a module or two from outside the department.

That all said, if your priority is to learn rather than have it count formally to your degree, you can go to any lecture you want, and read the online course materials. It's a good use of the opportunity of being at university.
If only I wouldn't have to work, I'd study the **** out of art. But it's still good news.

Thanks again for the info!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.65%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.47%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
15.88%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (46)
27.06%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (32)
18.82%

Watched Threads