The Student Room Group

When To tell a uni you're going to change?

Basically I'm at one uni at the moment and I'm going for an interview for another this month, If I get a place should I tell the other Uni right away? I don't want to make it awkward because I like the teachers but I'd like to leave it until the last minute and just say "I won't be back next year"

How should one go about this?
Reply 1
Your current uni will almost certainly find out before you have a place at your new uni. It's likely that your new uni will want a reference and/or official copy of your marks transcript from your current uni before offering you a place, so the decision will be forced on you.

To make the best impression, it would be good manners to approach your course leader now and explain that you're planning to leave after your first year.
Original post by Klix88
Your current uni will almost certainly find out before you have a place at your new uni. It's likely that your new uni will want a reference and/or official copy of your marks transcript from your current uni before offering you a place, so the decision will be forced on you.

To make the best impression, it would be good manners to approach your course leader now and explain that you're planning to leave after your first year.

I don't think that it's good manners necessarily, however I think that the course leaders can learn a lot from the reasons of your withdrawal from the course.

When I decided to leave my previous university I told the course leader in a class I was in and he was taking.

What you definitely need to do is pop a withdrawal of study form in to your student services team and that'll probably ask why you're leaving. :yes: However, your prospective new uni may set some conditions - i.e. finish the first year of your current course. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jnattrass
Basically I'm at one uni at the moment and I'm going for an interview for another this month, If I get a place should I tell the other Uni right away? I don't want to make it awkward because I like the teachers but I'd like to leave it until the last minute and just say "I won't be back next year"

How should one go about this?

originally i told my tutor i was going to complete this year but then changed my mind last week, i went to talk to my tutor and found out i didn't need to do that, all i needed to do was give in a withdrawal at my student hub and they would tell everyone for me. Although i did just send a quick email to my course tutor to ask for a reference (even tho i hadnt gone to see him ,which i personally thought was rude of me but i was scared) he still seemed happy to provide one. so even just an email will do i guess? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest