Ford Ka as a first car?

Watch this thread
Hadiaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm thinking of getting a 2001 Ford Ka as a first car, mainly because I've heard they're cheap to run and easy to park. Also i'm getting the car for a good price, £350 and £488 for the insurance.

What are your thoughts on getting a Ford Ka as a first car?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
At that age I would look very carefully for rust on the bodywork, and ask about its most recent MOT.

I had one and it was fine to drive and reasonably economical, but the chassis rusted badly when it got past 10 years old, and I finally got rid of it when the repairs cost more than it was worth, probably about 12-13 years old.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Good little runners, cheap to run, pushing on a bit if it's 2001 but to just get on the road to get your no claims in, even if just for a year, you could do a lot worse.
Hadiaaa
Rep:
(Original post by Helenia)
At that age I would look very carefully for rust on the bodywork, and ask about its most recent MOT.

I had one and it was fine to drive and reasonably economical, but the chassis rusted badly when it got past 10 years old, and I finally got rid of it when the repairs cost more than it was worth, probably about 12-13 years old.
It's recently been serviced and MOT isn't due for quite a while (can't remember of the top of my head)
I've seen the car and it's not got any rust patches as far as I've seen. I was just worried because it is quite old. Thanks for your advice though!
Hadiaaa
Rep:
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
Good little runners, cheap to run, pushing on a bit if it's 2001 but to just get on the road to get your no claims in, even if just for a year, you could do a lot worse.
Yeah I plan on having it for about a year, just so I can get my No claims and get the chance to save up for a better car.
Think I'll probably go for it, thanks!
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hadiaaa)
Yeah I plan on having it for about a year, just so I can get my No claims and get the chance to save up for a better car.
Think I'll probably go for it, thanks!
No problem, have a good look at the car, maybe take someone along with you that's knowledgeable about cars to give an informed opinion. I have an 11 year old Clio & it's cost me nearly as much in repairs as what I bought it for (I bought it about 9 months ago)
danty
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Common rusts spots on that type of KA:

Around the outside of the fuel filler flap.
Seatbelt anchorage points (big MOT failure!)
Underneath the door sills (the bit that runs underneath the doors)
Wheel arches
The frame around the front windscreen

They are rot boxes and at that age I wouldn't expect more than a year or two service from it. Mechanically sound and parts are really cheap for them - they also go pretty well for what they are.

You could do a lot worse for a first car, just make sure you don't buy one that's going to kill you.

~Matt
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm thinking of getting a 2001 Ford Ka as a first car, mainly because I've heard they're cheap to run and easy to park. Also i'm getting the car for a good price, £350 and £488 for the insurance.

Dont get one.
They are complete and utter ****.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Dont get one.
They are complete and utter ****.
Agree 100%.

Don't know why people constantly think about getting a Ka. Must be the 'cute girly car' syndrome.

Tonnes of options for around the same money that are far more spacious, powerful, reliable, better equipped and so on.
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
Agree 100%.

Don't know why people constantly think about getting a Ka. Must be the 'cute girly car' syndrome.

Tonnes of options for around the same money that are far more spacious, powerful, reliable, better equipped and so on.
Totally agree.
And theres plenty of other cars that are cheaper to run as well.

The bloke who runs a local car garage near me- where me and my sister have both brought a car from over the years- told my dad he wouldnt touch one with a bargepole. And thats coming from someone who has run a car garage for 20 years.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Get a Passat.
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Bmw X1 is a good first car...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by danty)
Common rusts spots on that type of KA:

Around the outside of the fuel filler flap.
Seatbelt anchorage points (big MOT failure!)
Underneath the door sills (the bit that runs underneath the doors)
Wheel arches
The frame around the front windscreen

They are rot boxes and at that age I wouldn't expect more than a year or two service from it. Mechanically sound and parts are really cheap for them - they also go pretty well for what they are.

You could do a lot worse for a first car, just make sure you don't buy one that's going to kill you.

~Matt
They dont just rust though- they go completely rotten.
No other car i know does that (well not nearly as bad anyway).
Essex_Galaxy
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I got a 2001 Ford Galaxy Ghia Diesel which which does 40mpg and is very reliable with 134000 miles on the clock... just as long as you get a good maintained car you'll be fine - just check it over and then check it over again!!! my insurance is £466 a year fully comp... (what I'm trying to say is pick a family oriented car or a small runabout like the KA and you should be fine for insurance!)
live_a_life
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Essex_Galaxy)
I got a 2001 Ford Galaxy Ghia Diesel which which does 40mpg and is very reliable with 134000 miles on the clock... just as long as you get a good maintained car you'll be fine - just check it over and then check it over again!!! my insurance is £466 a year fully comp... (what I'm trying to say is pick a family oriented car or a small runabout like the KA and you should be fine for insurance!)
That's an epic car. My dad had the exact same one for 10 years. I practically grew up in that car.

I'm talking about the Galaxy here, as far as the KA is concerned; it's very old and it's known to have rust issues. I wouldn't get it. Spend a bit more and get a sub-10 year old Fiesta.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annaaaaaaaa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

How did you find insurance for that cheap? :O
seizetoday
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lol insurance is worth more than the car
Somali Kamikaze
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

That's a peasant car. You need something manly. Like a land rover wolf.
JC.
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Nothing wrong with KA's.

Yes they have rust issues, but if you're too lazy to buy a litre of underseal and paint the chassis you get what you deserve.
The beauty about KA's is they are so simple - so little in the way of electrics to go wrong which means ultimately your bills at the garage will be reduced.

Find a good one, underseal the chassis and inject some waxoil into the sills and it'll be fine.

Alternatively, consider the KA Convertible... They don't rust. At all. Plus you get all the other nice benefits - a simple pushrod engine and hardly any electrics to go wrong.
JC.
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Totally agree.
And theres plenty of other cars that are cheaper to run as well.

The bloke who runs a local car garage near me- where me and my sister have both brought a car from over the years- told my dad he wouldnt touch one with a bargepole. And thats coming from someone who has run a car garage for 20 years.
And?
Back when I was motortrade I bought as many as I could get. With a bit of care they are perfectly fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads