The Student Room Group

Hey, I'm Chinese. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pocahontas lol
Dim sums. Mmm thanks, I have seen it being eaten so many times and always just thought it was like, how they decided to set up their table lol I didn't know it was a traditional assorted cuisine :drool:

omg i miss local Chinese foods now
Favourite subject at school?
Is it easier to learn cantonese or mandarin?

Spoiler

Reply 83
Original post by crazyplanet
I like in Hong Kong so I'm fluent in Cantonese but I can still speak and understand Mandarin though I'm not as good.

It really depends where you live in China because the country is huge so there are so many different dialects. eg Shanghai dialect, Beijing dialect etc.

I think Cantonese can be counted as a language since if two Chinese people meet; one can only speak Cantonese and the other can only speak Mandarin, chances are, they wouldn't be able to communicate. However, the written language is the same.

It is a strange concept to me, the written language being common but the spoken not. So, are words that are written the same pronounced totally differently, and what about grammar?

Did you find the Latin alphabet as weird as Europeans might find the Chinese letter?
Original post by Shanahey
Favourite subject at school?

Art and music....resistant materials too
Original post by qewrtyu
Is it easier to learn cantonese or mandarin?

Spoiler

Definately mandarin....cantonese has too much slangs in everyday conversations
Original post by Zarek
It is a strange concept to me, the written language being common but the spoken not. So, are words that are written the same pronounced totally differently, and what about grammar?

Did you find the Latin alphabet as weird as Europeans might find the Chinese letter?

If u read put loud from a newspaper or something, the pronounciation for Catonese and Mandarin are very similar but in everyday conversation, the two languages have different ways in saying things and Cantonese involve a lot of slangs.

For writing, there are also differences. In China, people use simplified characters, but in Hong Kong, Taiwan etc, they use Traditional characters.

I never learnt Latin so I can't make the comparison.

watch this video, it'll help you understand more of the difference in the spoken language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e73btaVo868
(edited 9 years ago)
If u read put loud from a newspaper or something, the pronounciation for Catonese and Mandarin are very similar but in everyday conversation, the two languages have different ways in saying things and Cantonese involve a lot of slangs.

For writing, there are also differences. In China, people use simplified characters, but in Hong Kong, Taiwan etc, they use Traditional characters.

I never learnt Latin so I can't make the comparison.

watch this video, it'll help you understand more of the difference in the spoken language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e73btaVo868

Latin alphabet is just the alphabet we use in english lol
Is Nottingham on the brink of a new world order of universities?
Good chinese bad chinese?
I love Chinese food, can you make any?
hi, how can i make chinese friends
Where is the strongest excavator technology?
post your questions here about anything related to China or Asia in general.

我有些问题想咨询你:

1. 挖掘机技术哪家强?

2. “不是你撞的,你为什么要扶?” 这是谁说的原话?

3. "昆山龙哥"开的是什么车?

4. 周正龙拍了什么?

5. 谁想挖秦始皇的墓?

Quick Reply

Latest