Do you read the news? Why and how?

Watch
number23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What are your reasons for and against watching the news?

If you do, what sources do you use?

I used to like knowing what is happening in the world, but sometimes I think it is quite depressing and you are not helping world problems by just passively reading about them

Saying that, I recently subscribed to The Economist because the articles are really well-researched, thought-provoking and give a really clear view of what is happening in the world... Also I am trying to read more this year, and I think it is well-written

I also use euronews because i am learning spanish and they have short video articles in many languages

My favourite newspaper is the Guardian but I find the economist more insightful

I used to read the daily mail for the comments/pictures..glad i have stopped that

So do you read the news? How come?
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Scan the headlines on BBC homepage on the PC once a day, on twitter I get news from the BBC or The Telegraph. We have radio 2 on at work so that is my main source (although Jeremy Vine is just atrocious most of the time, its such a relief when someone sits in for him.

Newspapers, I glance at the front of my parents daily mail in disgust, go to the middle to see what Garfield and Fred Basset have to say and thats about it,
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do it all online, so I can use any newspaper or website I want to. I don't read paper newspapers.

The advantage of that is I can search for articles about a particular thing and easily get lots of information about it from lots of different sources, which you can't do with paper newspapers.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, daily.

BBC: For actual news
Daily Mail: For the Comments section
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Yes, daily.

BBC: For actual news
Daily Mail: For the Comments section
:five::mmm:

I like to know what's happening! + I usually use the app rather than the actual websites and papers. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not through papers, I learn of it through the grapevine and read elsewhere

because a) it's mostly depressing b) the political bias in every paper I've found is astounding and fails to give l'objective view

Usually pick it up through TV (yes aware of irony), radio, Internet (guess that's reading). Reddit is good for news (also aware of irony)
OutAtStarlight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Browse Google News every day, mainly focusing on the Science, Health, Technology and World sections.

I am guilty of reading the comments section on the Daily Mail though
pocahontas lol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only issue is the lurid propaganda, and also, people who aren't educated in something and just swallow what they read. :facepalm:

In English speaking countries, especially the US, it's proven that the publishers only seek readers up to the 8 yr old reading level :indiff: That means a basic understanding of our mere 26 alphabetical characters. Whereas in China, you need to learn 14,000 characters of the many more they have just to be able to read the newspaper; the issue is, many people cannot read that many characters in China, so many go uninformed. While in the west, even little 8 yr olds can feel smart when they pick up and put down a Daily dot dot dot.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, good to know what's going on. Mosty either the metro/standard while commuting or the bbc news website.
number23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by lucaf)
Yeah, good to know what's going on. Mosty either the metro/standard while commuting or the bbc news website.
Can you tell me why it is good to know what is going on?
Vixen47
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, I have to for my major. Well, I don't absolutely HAVE to, I just like being ahead of the curve. I listen to LBC radio ALL THE TIME. The only time I avoid it is when every presenter talks about the same topic, usually that's to do with the bloody NHS. I'm so sick of hearing about it. :rant: Otherwise it's really great. James O'Brien, Olly Man and Shelagh Fogarty are my favourite presenters. :love:
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by number23)
Can you tell me why it is good to know what is going on?
curiosity
Icebaker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As I was watching the telly last week, a guy behind me says to his mates, "Why are they even reporting this stuff? They should just say that there's no news today." And it got me thinking, the news is nothing more than manufactured drivel. It's utterly pointless. Almost every single bit of news and reporting is manufactured, what's the point of watching people spout fiction while claiming it's real? It's laughable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads