The Student Room Group

Getting 8 A* in GCSE/IGCSE

Hello there,

I am a Hong kong student, in my city, the percentage of getting the highest grades is around 3-5. How about in the GCSE system? Is it hard to obtain 8 A*??? How many subjects do you usually take?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's a very subjective question!! I'd have to say it all depends on which school you go to, and how hard you're prepared to work.
Reply 2
How can I get the percentage of A* attainments?
Put it in using the Grade Analyser link at the top of the GCSE forum.
Reply 5
I don't know anyone who does eight, by the way. It's usually between nine and twelve.

I'm taking twelve, but two are shortcourses which get you half a GCSE, making it eleven in all.
Most people take at least 9 GCSEs, but some take as many as 13. As jamesgurung said, how hard it is to get 8 A*s depends on how hard the student works, how clever they are, how much choice they had in what subjects they took and what type of school they went to. In most comprehensives, very few students will get 8 A*s, but in grammar and some private schools, especially selective ones, it's a bit more normal.
I'm doing ten. You will have to put some work in for those grade. I presude your doing higher?
Reply 8
Evidently achieving 8A*s is not impossible :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Boxie
Evidently achieving 8A*s is not impossible :rolleyes:

Why do you have two seperate grades in what I assume is a double award GCSE (Science)? :confused: Or is your signature a joke?
Reply 10
I believe it's a joke. :cool:
8A*s aren't the highest grades over here... most students take about 9-12, some more, some less. If you take a sample from TSR I suppose you'd find a large % of people have got 8+ A*s, but that is definitely not a fair representation of the whole population (TSR is extremely skewed!). In my comprehensive for example, there were 2 people (out of 180) who got 8 A*s or more.
Excalibur
In my comprehensive for example, there were 2 people (out of 180) who got 8 A*s or more.

And in mine, there were 0 out of about 280 :p:
3 out of 30 in mine. One of them just!
Reply 14
Natural Scientist
Why do you have two seperate grades in what I assume is a double award GCSE (Science)? :confused: Or is your signature a joke?

Yes it is double award, and to you and Avocado, no my signature is not a joke, why do people find it so hard to believe that there are people out there who can achieve straight A's?!
Reply 15
Boxie
Yes it is double award, and to you and Avocado, no my signature is not a joke, why do people find it so hard to believe that there are people out there who can achieve straight A's?!

As far as I recall, it is not possible to achieve two distinct grades in a Double Award. Hence the disbelief.
:ditto: James.
...Not that I did DA myself :s-smilie:
Reply 18
jamesgurung
As far as I recall, it is not possible to achieve two distinct grades in a Double Award. Hence the disbelief.

Ok well I don't know how to argue that, those were the results on my slip so...everyone in my school got 2 double award results, C C, B B etc. :confused:
Reply 19
Boxie
Ok well I don't know how to argue that, those were the results on my slip so...everyone in my school got 2 double award results, C C, B B etc. :confused:

Yes, two results are awarded but certainly with my exam board these grades were always the same (A*A*, AA, BB, CC, DD etc). You quote A*A, which caused the confusion.

Quick Reply

Latest