Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm Vink (not my real name obviously, but I hope my RL friends don't read this because they will know straight away that it's me). 17, almost 18 and have no social life, due to mainly my personality, but also due to my 2 addictions; Clash of Clans and World of Tanks. A lot of people may think that having no social life also means that I regularly achieve good grades. Unfortunately, this is not necessarily true.

I stormed through my GCSEs, I did literally no revision, if I ever needed help, my parents were right there to help me as they understood most of what I was covering at school. I achieved an A* in English Language and Dutch. I achieved A's in Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, English Literature, Geography and History as well as B's in Further Maths and French (really, really did not like French).
    However, as I entered AS levels, things went downhill. My work ethic stayed the same; little work outside of school as I assumed it would be a breeze. My parents could no longer help me (Maths, Physics and Chemistry are all areas that they have little/no knowledge in). In hindsight, this was the first time I really had to work to get my grades, and that is something that I did not realise in time. If you take anything away from this, is NEVER underestimate your studies.
    At the end of the year I walked away with CCDE for Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths respectively and a B for my EPQ (entitled "To what extent is nanotechnology a leading concept in the fields of computing and engineering" and a D in General Studies. For comparison, my predicted grades were AAAA and I'd even been asked by Oxbridge to attend some talks.
    Now that I'm in A2 year, my predicted have dropped to ABB (in Maths, Chemistry and Physics), but only because I've decided to resit 5 modules.

This will hopefully detail how I achieve these goals, and hopefully beat them too.

ReputationRep:
    And your question is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rugar Rell)
    And your question is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't realise I was asking a question...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that l1lvink's grades have been verified! :banana: :banana2: :banana:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Rugar Rell)
    And your question is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a Grow your Grades study blog, so there aren't questions necessarily! :woo: It's a great way to track progress and see how other students are getting on with their revision/learning
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    I hope everything goes to plan :yep: Let us know if you need any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I hope everything goes to plan :yep: Let us know if you need any help
    Hehe, thanks. I'm sure I'll take you up on that one many times.

ReputationRep:
    Well, 5 days have gone by and I've posted, well, nothing.
    I'm not too good at the blog stuff.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    Well, 5 days have gone by and I've posted, well, nothing.
    I'm not too good at the blog stuff.
    How have your lessons been going?
    Done any revision in the last 5 days?
    Any test results you're got back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    How have your lessons been going?
    Done any revision in the last 5 days?
    Any test results you're got back?
    Hehe thanks.
    Will collect my thoughts tomorrow during school (TSR is blocked at school for some stupid reason) and post when I get back.

ReputationRep:
    13 Feb:
    I did the PHYA1 June 2013 paper today and got 50/70 which would get me a high C. Nowhere near where I should be with this module but I really did not do well on the electricity questions-gonna need some more exam/tricky question practice in this area. Also dropped a handful on the photoelectric effect question-which really is a question I should learn off by heart.
    In other news, been doing a little bit of prep for my interview (this mainly involves a lot of panicking because I'm not exactly sure on how to practice).
    That's pretty much all for now I think.
    Now it's time for 'Our Guy in India'.

ReputationRep:
    I love clash of clans myself! It is the best game ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motormonkeyguru)
    I love clash of clans myself! It is the best game ever
    In my opinion its often 'too good'.
    How long have you been playing? And what level are you?

ReputationRep:
    19 Feb:
    Had an interview for Maths and Physics at York Uni on the 16th. Was incredibly nervous beforehand, and I'm also not too sure as to how it went.
    One of my interviewers main areas of expertise was in nanotechnology (something to do with electric currents on their surface), and seeing as though I had done an EPQ on nanotechnology we had a nice, informal chat about that, which I really enjoyed. However, I have a feeling that the technical question went a bit pear-shaped (I made some stupid mistakes when drawing field lines between oppositely charged plates).
    So overall I have no idea as to how that went.

ReputationRep:
    Quick Update:
    Been busy over the second half of the holidays and most of the work I've been doing has been the homework set before the holidays. I have however been focusing on some areas that I wasn't as confident on of my MPC1, PHYA1 and CHEM2 resits.
    All for now, but I hope to do some more past papers (of the aforementioned modules) this week in order to make sure that I know what I've been learning. Also need to start Stats 1 resit, but I've really been putting that off.

ReputationRep:
    Over the past 3 days, I've done 3 papers:
    PHYA1 June 2011: Got 84% which is an A. Which ofcourse I am happy with, however I am worried because I was dropping marks in all of the areas (if I just did one question poorly I could focus on that topic), so I'm not happy with my knowledge of Unit 1.
    MPC1 June 2010: 80% and a B. Not too happy with this result, but then again I was doing this without revision to see where I am currently at with this module. Here I was dropping the marks in the harder parts of each question.
    Need to do some work on rationalising the denominator, gradients at points on a graph and tangents at that point and generally circles. However, I hope that this won't need too much work to become a very solid A.
    CHEM2 Jan 2010: 80% and an A. Although it sounds like a decent grade (it was a comfortable A too), I didn't feel happy whilst doing it, and I don't really know what that implies. Some areas I felt I need to address more are: Isomerism (forgotten everything other than Optical), a bit on Bond enthalpies (thought it was products-reactants), ionic half equations and a load of the Halides and their reactions.

ReputationRep:
    Offers:
    I heard back from York, and they gave me an offer of AAB with A in Maths and Physics (not sure what I'll do about this as this is above my predicted grades and is also an English Uni so I'd have to pay full fees).
    Unfortunately, the Uni that I really wanted to go to, Edinburgh, sent me a rejection today (strange as they ask for a grade less than York, but York still gave me an offer).

Also going to have to do Student Finance soon. Not looking forward to that as my parents will likely understand less of it than me (made even more confusing of my being an EU student).

Will do a revision post a little later on today.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, finished school, so now I can enjoy the holidays (yeah right), I have a revision session for Physics (going to focus on Capacitors-which is my weakest area of Unit 4).
    I've finished 'learning' everything, so from now on, everything else should be revision. Going to try to do at least 1 past paper per day and will hopefully be a good grade better by the end of the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    x
    What level are you on clash of clans? I used to play quite a lot and got bored after I got to a high level as progress is ridiculously slow and boring... give it up now and you wont' waste your time not revising like I did :angry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    What level are you on clash of clans? I used to play quite a lot and got bored after I got to a high level as progress is ridiculously slow and boring... give it up now and you wont' waste your time not revising like I did :angry:
    Haha, I'm a level 144 (maxed TH10 discluding heroes and walls). I set my army up to build for a certain amount of time so that they act as a small break inbetween my revision (ie 40 minute build time and then 5-10 minute break whilst I attack).

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.