samantha_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay so i have a question regarding my A level options, I would like to study both Biology and Chemistry and i definitely have the grades on the science side of things ( A*s-A etc). However on the colleges website it mentions that a B in english language is required and this is kinda problematic. I guess i was just wondering if you think i would be at a disadvantage doing these A levels with a C in English language. Thanks !!
TheWiseSalmon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
English Language GCSE is completely and utterly unrelated to A-level Biology and Chemistry. So long as you are capable of reading or writing English, you will not be at a disadvantage. You will never need to write about a memorable moment in your life, analyse and assess the meaning of the colour grey on a poster, write a persuasive argument on why you should recycle or any other such crap you have to do in English Language in A-level Biology/Chemistry.
samantha_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWiseSalmon)
English Language GCSE is completely and utterly unrelated to A-level Biology and Chemistry. So long as you are capable of reading or writing English, you will not be at a disadvantage. You will never need to write about a memorable moment in your life, analyse and assess the meaning of the colour grey on a poster, write a persuasive argument on why you should recycle or any other such crap you have to do in English Language in A-level Biology/Chemistry.
thank you !
Soph_Eleanor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've completed both biology and chemistry a level and it's so much more about the ideas you put on the paper rather than how you do so. There are quality of written communication marks (for ocr anyway) but they are largely just being able to spell key terms which you can learn to spell if that is something you struggle with. You can even just put some of your answers in bullet points for some questions (especially step by step processes) sometimes with the qwc marks they want well formed sentences but that just means they make sense! However I do think you may want to consider the exam board you would be doing I think aqa have a 25 mark essay at the end of the biology paper but if you want to do it then it shouldn't hold you back! Also any other subjects apart from maths should help with writing skills anyway so I wouldn't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
samantha_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Soph_Eleanor)
I've completed both biology and chemistry a level and it's so much more about the ideas you put on the paper rather than how you do so. There are quality of written communication marks (for ocr anyway) but they are largely just being able to spell key terms which you can learn to spell if that is something you struggle with. You can even just put some of your answers in bullet points for some questions (especially step by step processes) sometimes with the qwc marks they want well formed sentences but that just means they make sense! However I do think you may want to consider the exam board you would be doing I think aqa have a 25 mark essay at the end of the biology paper but if you want to do it then it shouldn't hold you back! Also any other subjects apart from maths should help with writing skills anyway so I wouldn't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you happen to know how many ish marks are awarded for qwc ?
Soph_Eleanor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not many around four in a paper I think but it's been a while now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads