Primary Teaching BEd Watch

benisright
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Friend wants advice as to what universities she should apply to that do Primary Teaching, preferably a bachelor in education. Why the BEd im not sure. But any help will be much appreciated (with rep!)
santogold
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
The BEd and BA with QTS are the same these days. Maybe your friend wants to make sure it is a teaching degree, which leads to the recommendation of QTS!

Maybe repost your question in the Careers->Teaching forum, because that is where most people qualified to answer are.

I only really know the unis in London, but I know Durham does teaching. Durham being 'up there' probably means it is a good uni to do teacher training.
fayesafine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi
I'm a first year doin primary ed (its a BA primary ed leadin to QTS)
I applied to:
Hull
Durham
Sheffield Hallam
Liverpool John Moores
Leeds Met
Manchester Met

I receieved offers from them all (except leeds, which turned me away because they presumed i wanted 2 teach english and i did not put 'i love english!)

Hull- good course if u lke psychology, as this course deals with the reasons for learnin in a psychological way....campus is very very small. halls are fairly nice. the campus is not actually in hull, it is in scarborough ( a seaside spot in north yorkshire!). I put this down as my insurance choice because tbh the interview was fantastic! the staff were luvly and i wud def recommend your friend to look around!

Durham- good course again but its not in durham, its in 'stockton upon tees' which is known to be a bad area...so i didnt really fancy it. also, the interviewers werent nice and i got the impression that durham lecturers thought very highly of themselves and i hated every minute of it! but the campus is fairly posh, as u can expect for 'durham uni'

Sheff Hallam- buildings are run down and halls are known to be bad so i was put off. Also, the course wasn't that brilliant compared to others and the grades they wanted ( low ones) reflected the course. This campus is spread out all over, and as a fresher, i didnt want to be gettin lost!!!

Liverpool john moores (LJMU)- this is wher i am! im goin to try not to be biased but honestly this is a really good course! the halls (on campus) are very basic and i hated it at the start and wanted to go home bcoz of home sickness. now, im loving every minute of it, the course is really goin good..weve already been in2 school for 2 mornings, and theyr are plenty of opportunities to enhance ur CV- workin with the police, doing 'kerbkraft' (teachin school kids road safety!). There IS a lot of work to do, as with any course, but we only do 10-12 hours a week!!! Monday we have science from 1-3, tues we have professional studies 9-11, then maths 1-3, weds- off!, thurs we have english 11-1 and friday off. some weeks we have 'foundation studies' for a couple of hours (art, pe etc...). the staff are all really nice and the campus is contained ...its like a little village! well worth a look at , i would recomend your friend comes to an open day!

Leeds met- nice campus and ok course. i chose this one as one of my six because it was close to home!

manchester met- nice campus but pants staff! the head of the course was very very rude to me wen i went ther for an interview! and told us that she knew we wudnt apply ther!!!!also, the open day was really badly organised and the staff all told me different stories about the course!

I hope this helps
if u need more info, jus ask

-x-
Lime_01
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
edgehill also do primary teaching! Dunno what kind though! Edgehill was one of my options for my degree (design technology (secondary) with QTS)

Also here at Bangor they do primary teaching. There are loads of people here doing it. I have alot of mates doing it and they are really enjoying it! Cant really tell you much about the course as im not doing it!

p.s: Sorry if im a bit late replying only just found this part of tsr! :P
The Boosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oxford brookes offer a good course, gorgeous city, plenty of local schools for teaching practice.
<3lizbeth<3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does anyone know what kind of grades are accepted by unis? i got good Gcses but bad As levels (CCDEE) even tho im predicted (BCCC) im still woried so if anyone could tell me what my chances are? i also have quite alot for work experience (4 months) which hopefully will work in my favor! xxx
santogold
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
You should be okay. Getting on a BEd or other primary teaching degree does not just depend on your grades. If they do not consider you for a teaching degree right away for some reason, you can always study for an education degree and a pgce
The Boosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
teaching degrees are by far the easiest degrees to get on. my ex girlfriend got on a course with D-E-U at a-level and now she teaches.
Lime_01
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hasnt bed changed now??

I know here in bangor they have changed the primary teaching course to a BA now instead of the bed.

is that just here though???
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
teaching degrees are by far the easiest degrees to get on. my ex girlfriend got on a course with D-E-U at a-level and now she teaches.

Eek.
star18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From the six uni's I chose 2 apply 2 4 BEd Gloucestshire Canterbury Winchesterwere most impresssive generally i thought, your friend might want to look at them.. they will need 2 think whether they wud prefer a 3/4 yr course as there are some of each I know Winchester is 4 yr
aamina.h
Report 8 years ago
What is the beD Bachelor in education ?
booksnob
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Roehampton is meant to be good for primary ed., but they do a BA in it with QTS. Not really any different to a B.Ed qith QTS though.
booksnob
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aamina.h)
What is the beD Bachelor in education ?
Yup.
star18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did a BEd Primary at Gloucestershire University. Brilliant lecturers and all round very good course. Canterbury, Winchester, Edge Hill and Roehampton also have good reputations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (215)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
6.93%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.57%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.26%

Watched Threads