The Student Room Group

gcse english lit essays

Can someone literally spell out to me an essay structure. I really don't get any of it. Like I know intro 3 paragraphs conclusion obviously but apart from that I'm a bit lost- I don't really know what to say in an introduction/ conclusion and topic sentences I always get wrong. Like in an intro is it literally like 'the write does this by conveying this this and this' (the three points) or something different? And isnt the conclusion just reiterating everything I'd just said? Basically any help would be so good- I have my unseen mock tomorrow and I did so badly on my set texts I need at least one good bit :s kill me now
Original post by JuliaM1998
Can someone literally spell out to me an essay structure. I really don't get any of it. Like I know intro 3 paragraphs conclusion obviously but apart from that I'm a bit lost- I don't really know what to say in an introduction/ conclusion and topic sentences I always get wrong. Like in an intro is it literally like 'the write does this by conveying this this and this' (the three points) or something different? And isnt the conclusion just reiterating everything I'd just said? Basically any help would be so good- I have my unseen mock tomorrow and I did so badly on my set texts I need at least one good bit :s kill me now

I'm guessing u're doing AQA? Find a big meaty/juicy quote that you can analyze for Language, structure and form as well as FIA.
Think of enjambment and end stopping for structure. I'm so lucky my english teacher's an examiner [even though my school's really crap, only the english department is really good] either way her advice is to always plan for 2-5 min before you start and look for quotes that you can analyze in more than one way. Look at the mark scheme as well [lucky for you I'm procrastinating on my English homework so I've got it here for you]

Here's the breakdown,

Mark Band 6 - A*

-insightful exploratory response to ideas/themes
-close analysis to detail to support interpretation [THIS IS WHERE YOU GET YOUR A*. ANALYZE IN MORE THAN ONE WAY USING W.L.A OR L.O.M]
-Evaluation of writer's uses of language and/or structure and/or form and effects on readers. [THESE AND/OR ARE NOT OPTIONAL! THAT IS IF YOU WANT THE BEST MARKS]

I really need to get back to 'work' now so I hope this sorta helps :smile:

EDIT: LOL I just reread and realised you were talking about the intro and conclusion. Well for that just give a brief answer to the question or something to suggest that your answer will be towards a certain direction.
Conclusion summarise your findings :smile:
I hope it helps :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending