Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in the 'York' forum but I'll post it here as well to get a few more opinions.

Do you think its best to do a gap year before uni, after uni, or go travelling during holidays?

I'm thinking of defering my entry for a year, but I'm not sure if I could be bothered to come back and do a degree after it. Although at the same time if I leave it until after uni I'll have so much debt it wouldn't be worthwhile going until I had a job.

ReputationRep:
    Both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Both
    slight cash problem there!

ReputationRep:
    Before uni I hadn't lived away from home before so I wouldn't have had the confidence to travel off alone. I didn't have any like-minded souls to go with. During uni i worked for a US summer camp which gave me confidence. After I graduated I just deferred loans for a while and went to Australia. That worked for me, but if you are confident you can do it now, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's cool when taking a gap year before you go to uni. The bad thing is that you might forget things and loose interest in going to uni maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Both
    definetley before and after

ReputationRep:
    I want to take a GAP year before uni but I can't because of stupid top up fees! Instead, I'm going to travel a bit before and during the uni holidays. I might also take a GAP year after uni (if I have any money left that is!)

ReputationRep:
    There is one very simple solution.

Do first year, dont take your final exams, thereby having a very enjoyable run-in. Then take a year out, holding 3 [email protected] time, then re-do 1st year keeping all your notes from your first time round, cruising through and doing better than your first time anyway.

I know this sounds highly un-practical but it works!

S

ReputationRep:
    Appart from having to pay full tuition for the repeat year.

ReputationRep:
    Not in Scotland you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    It's cool when taking a gap year before you go to uni. The bad thing is that you might forget things and loose interest in going to uni maybe?
    Yeap - that would be the main thing I'm worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    As an external student (which is how most uni's will view you if you repeat a year - basically they just expect you to turn up for your exams and your coursework marks from the first run are used) you don't get a student loan and are not eligible to claim JSA or any other income related benefits...but you don't have to pay tuition fees.
    It isn't done like that here (no idea about other unis) - you do have to repeat the entire year, coursework, exams, fees, everything. I do know a couple of people who have repeated several years (our current SU President for instance, and a friend I had in my first year who did her third year three times).

As for the gap year question: take into consideration that there is no automatic "future" after uni (gap year as in a gap between university and what exactly?). Many people do find it difficult to find employment immediately after they graduate and therefore automatically have to take some time out either traveling or moving back with parents and working in non-permanent jobs (hopefully only for a couple of months though).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.